Missy's Foaling Thread --> UPDATE ---> WARNING ABOUT BROWN/BLOOD RED MUCOUS PLUGS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still watching for a foal Missy!!!!! Lets get the show on the road
default_impatient.jpg

Well I am back home now and grabbing a bite to eat....as soon as I finish I will head out to the barn and check her over and test her ph levels. She's been doing a lot of tail lifting and swishing - some agitation today so maybe she will pop that sucker out tonight
default_pray.gif

Hello hello all dear mare watchers.....

Missy is testing a 100% positive 6.4ph tonight and is looking ready to foal, we are now just waiting to see if she will comply. Tonight, instead of not wanting to be bothered, she was actually wanting me to "groom" with her (this is a favorite pastime that I do with my horses and establishes a good bond, I've found) and she was basically wanting to snuggle in my lap.

However she's gotten VERY protective over those teats - gives me the most evil look I've ever seen and definately shows me that she isn't happy about me doing so. Milk is still opaque white and slightly sticky....inside of vulva isn't as dark as I'd like but this is a wishy washy sign anyways.

We have several thunderstorms rolling in throughout the night so maybe the weather will push her on in to labor.....as of now she's eating her dinner and is happy to do so.

Will keep you posted on how she does throughout the night, hopefully I will have pictures of the little one soon!
default_pray.gif

come on Missy!!!! we want to see your baby!! I think you have kept us waiting long enough and we are ALL ready to see your baby!!! come on girl! PLEASE!!!

No foal as of this morning. Pretty quiet night she was down sleeping most of it. I gave up at 2am and got about 4 hours of sleep and every hour I would wake up to check on her and she was still snoozing.

Is it possible that she is one of those mares that doesn't foal at 6.4ph and I am waiting for that final drop to 6.0ph? I have been doing reading online and several big horse breeders say that they find the mares usually foal within 72 hours of 6.4ph but foal within 12 hours with a ph of 6.2 or lower.....seems 6.2ph is the "magic number" to them, as they say it.......I'm still keeping an eye on her, hopefully she will go sooner rather than later......

I have to go out of town on the May 31st and will be gone until June 4th so I really need her to foal before then.....watch it be the night before I have to leave! That's my Missy, always keeping me on my toes......I feel like I need to tell her if she doesn't foal I'm gonna send her to a "bad bad place" where they will torture her until she foals instead of this nice treatment
default_torch.gif
lol

Lets goooo Missy. Im leaving town saturday and wont be abck until late sunday...Id like to see your baby before then
default_smile.png

Well after having this gut feeling that i needed to, ive called my vet and i am happy that i did. Told him about what was going on and he believes that shes been going in and out of first stage labor and is concerned about the discharge from her vulva. He will be out at 10am tomorrow morning, will check her over fully and if he decides to, we will be inducing her.

Pray for everything to go well and for her to foal tonight!

I also remember Raven keeping us waiting for ages, inspite of us saying "she's showing signs of foaling", so as Diane says, please dont worry. It is still good to follow your gut feeling though. Anyway your vet wont induce unless he/she is sure the baby is in the 'presentation' position - unless it is a medical emergency, like her waters having broken etc. And if all looks well, then they may decide that it will be best to wait for nature to run its course.

And yes, mares can delay continuing labour if they are in the first stage - a lot of folks are not as observant as you and miss all these early episodes! So although I know it must be so frustrating for you, I do compliment you on all the care you are giving to Missy plus your attention to all the details and small changes that she is going through.

How about some pictures for us tomorrow - mind you she might foal tonight so we will be looking for foal pics too!!
default_yes.gif

OK I have just gone back to your first page and looked at the pics you posted there. I know we all got a bit excited and were looking to welcome a foal before too long, but those pics show a mare some 2 or 3 weeks away from foaling - and May 2nd to 16th (tomorrow) is only two weeks - a seemingly long two weeks, but IMO she is right on course to give you this little one anytime now!!

Will be interested to hear what your vet thinks.
default_yes.gif

Always best to "follow your gut" -- of course, she'll probably foal tonight - just because you threatened her!
default_whistling.gif

My gut is telling me something's not quite right as she didn't act like this with her last two pregnancies when she was close to foaling.....better safe than sorry to have the vet out. Since I told her that she probably will foal tonight LOL

How is she acting??

She is acting agitated, restless, biting at sides and looking ready to go for the past three nights and then, nothing. There's nothing in the barn or on the farm to disturb her while she's in the barn - as she's the only one and seems to like it better that way. I do know mares can start and stop 1st stage, and only that stage but I'm concerned that there may be a medical reason behind it, and thinking back on it the color (dark red/brownish like dried blood) of the "mucus plug" has me very concerned - she's never had that before with her last two pregnancies, and I've never seen one look like that - which is why I was asking for opinions on it.

Anyway your vet wont induce unless he/she is sure the baby is in the 'presentation' position - unless it is a medical emergency, like her waters having broken etc. And if all looks well, then they may decide that it will be best to wait for nature to run its course.....a lot of folks are not as observant as you and miss all these early episodes! So although I know it must be so frustrating for you, I do compliment you on all the care you are giving to Missy plus your attention to all the details and small changes that she is going through.

We talked about it on the phone today and he will be giving her a 100% exam, plus lightly sedate her for a palpation to see where the foal is. He is coming at 10am and thankfully he is a dear friend of mine so he's put his other clients on the notice of a heads up that he may not be out tomorrow as if he induces he will be here all day until she foals. He told me that since her milk's already white and everything else is already a go, if the foals in position he will go ahead and induce her and get the ball going on her. He's followed her last two pregnancies and knows her very well, and knows that I rarely call him only if I REALLY need him (I have his personal cell number so I can skip talking to anyone in the office, bless his heart I love him to death) and he knows how this is. With her first birth being a red bag and me not being 100% comfortable leaving her in my "mare watchers" hands (they've only helps cows birth - not horses, similar but not exactly the same) he'd rather have her foal while me and him are both there.

You guys will have to understand, I trust this man completely and he's a one of a kind vet. I'm going completely by his advice and guidance and he's trained me to do so many things - he's invaluable to me. He's made plans to where if we do induce, he will stay here at the farm until the foal is up and nursing well, he's a devoted vet and I wish there were more like him! Thanks for the compliment but I must say - this mare is my sweetheart and I'd be nothing without her - she's the only mare I've ever really "loved" and she is such a darling with kids.

OK I have just gone back to your first page and looked at the pics you posted there. I know we all got a bit excited and were looking to welcome a foal before too long, but those pics show a mare some 2 or 3 weeks away from foaling - and May 2nd to 16th (tomorrow) is only two weeks - a seemingly long two weeks, but IMO she is right on course to give you this little one anytime now!!

One thing I will have to note about Missy is she never really V's out regardless of how close to foaling - both her previous pregnancies she was as round as a barrel and hardly "dropped" even the night before birth, so not a way to judge her. Her udders never really "fill in" like a "regular" mare, even after the foal - but she does produce good milk - her colt last year was fat as a tick! The only signs she's shown me in the past have been a loose tailhead and a mood change.

Will be interested to hear what your vet thinks.

As soon as he lets me know his diagnosis and prognosis, I will definately let you guys know!

WILL BE POSTING PICS HERE SOON FROM THIS MORNING
default_yes.gif

Okay here are some pictures for you........these were all taken tonight for you - except for the one with the milk and her teats, it was from this morning. Haven't tested her PH yet but will do so at feeding time. Right now she's in the stall resting after being out all day.

One thing you can't see is that her udder, while it looks small, is very firm and as of this evening her teats are pointing downward. I couldn't get a good picture from behind the udder, it's too dim to get it to show up on my cell phone pics.

I just wish she showed more signs and went the more traditional foaling route!

EDITED TO ADD:

I think it's wonderful you have such a great vet -- one that sounds like he is fully "into" his job and takes good care of his patients. That's marvelous. And we're very happy for you, and certainly understand and will support you in the decisions you make. We are also here to learn, and we will appreciate anything that your vet says that will help us learn as well.

If he does the induction of the foaling, I will record it on my phone and try to upload it for you so it can be used as a learning tool. I will also be taking precise notes tomorrow about everything he says and will definately report back to you guys! He is indeed a great vet and he loves what he does - he's in his 60's now and has been doing it for over 30 years now - so he definately has plenty of years under his belt.

He's one of those that money just can't buy. Oh and for anyone thinking that they want to have their mare induced for the heck of it - it's not cheap at all. For me, it's $120 for just the farm call and exam/palpation + $125 if no or very little complications to $250 if severe complications for the induction itself....... so that's looking at $245 to $370 for the whole procedure when it's all said and done and that's just the rough estimate he gave me over the phone, prices are liable to change upon examination/experience.

That's money I could definately spend elsewhere - but if it means that she and the foal are safe and sound, it's money well spent, and IMO if you can't say that then 1) you shouldn't own any horse at all 2) you definately shouldn't be breeding. I don't have many horses, and I don't have a big fancy barn and all the top of the line equipment, but I have plenty of love, time and proper facilities to own them and I don't mind spending the money when needed.

missy_05152012.jpg

missy_051520122.jpg

missy_051520121.jpg

missy_051520123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
her tummy looks ready
default_smile.png
but I would think her udder should fill some more, and I think baby needs to move forward a little in her tummy... IMHO she is such a cute mare, I really hope all goes well for you and I'm sure it will
default_smile.png
fingers crossed you get a gorgeous little baby safely on the ground soon and you have no need for your wonderful vet
default_smile.png
so glad you have such a good one on hand who can come and help you
default_smile.png
I'm sure everything will be fine!

woops I just fully read youir previous post... is this how her udder and tummy have looked right before foaling previously? one of my mares doesn't bag up till 1-2 weeks before... :s its hard when they dnt go by the text book! lol hoping for a safe foal for you very soon
default_smile.png
:)

Yep this is about how much udder she has right before foaling and while nursing.....she never gets a typical udder of a mare about to foal or nursing a foal.......same with belly.....

lol fair enough well then watch her closely
default_smile.png
her tummy looks good, and she is gorgeous
default_smile.png
I'm sure you will have a very cute healthy foal at foot very soon
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back