Missy's Foaling Thread --> UPDATE ---> WARNING ABOUT BROWN/BLOOD RED MUCOUS PLUGS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long can she stay at 6.4ph before foaling? I've heard anything from 4 days to 48 hours and I'm not sure what to think....

Well it's pouring rain here. I managed to let her out for about 30 minutes to stretch her legs while I cleaned her stall and got the foaling supplies all set up in the barn. She didn't take her usual roll like she normally does when I turn her out - mainly just groomed with her friend Allula and basically stood still the whole time.

She's notorious for foaling during the day - her 2010 birth was at 9am, and it was during a big spring rainshower and her 2011 birth was 2pm on a hot sunny day so maybe with this rain it will go ahead and get her in the mood to foal.

She's relaxing comfortably in her stall but isn't munching on hay. She ate her AM meal and as of right now she is just switching which hind leg she's resting.....I will keep you posted throughout the day.

She's already been at 6.4ph for 24 hours now so hopefully today is the day....

Keep us posted ....I know you are watching her all the time so thats good....now you just have to wait a bit longer.....easy for me to say LOL Good Luck!!

Lets go missy you and lily need to foal together...we want to see babies!!!!!!!
default_pray.gif

Like I said in your other post, by the way she's acting and how Lily is acting I doubt Missy will foal within the next 24 hours, you'll probably have a foal soon and knowing my evil little mare I still have several days to go
default_frusty.gif

How far along is missy? Lily is 352 days today its been a long sleepless wait

I am not sure of her exact days - she was pasture bred to the same stallion who sired her last two foals. Whether you pasture or hand breed you still have to play this horrid waiting and guessing game, so I let mother nature take it's course. It doesn't help that my stallion refuses to breed in-hand either - according to him, he's a big boy and he can do it himself
default_yes.gif

LOL thats funny. I love the im a big boy comment
default_smile.png
Was just curious if she was as alte as mine. I only had the stud a week so i have a pretty good idea on the dates. The 352 is by the last breeding date of 5/27/2011.

Thats good atleast you have an idea. Missy foaled last year on March 23rd and the year before that on April 16th.....seems she's wanting a summer baby this year.....or trying to make me lose my sanity.....evil evil mare

Lily succeeded in driving me nuts but the game of waiting is over...just tested and shes within 12 hours of foaling YAY I cant wait
default_smile.png

How's Missy looking this afternoon? That ph could change at anytime, and fast! Keep a close eye on the colour in her hooha as that might just give you the last minute indication!

Good luck and safe foaling.
default_yes.gif

I agree Anna, they can change very fast. Safe foaling if she goes whilst I am asleep.

Do mares usually foal within 72 hours of a 6.4ph reading? In which I have a maximum of 48 hours left to go? lol wow I'm gettin desperate!!

I'm waiting on pictures there lilysmom!
default_thumbup.gif

EDITED TO ADD:

She's still testing 6.4ph but it seems to be on the lighter end towards 6.0ish but just barely......I'm hoping she will go ahead and bless me with a nice suprise!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the strips for the first time last year and my mare tested 6.4 on Tuesday morning and foaled Wednesday early evening

They can drop from 6.4 in a matter of hours and catch you unawares. LOL!! Maybe you should test her 3 times during the day just in case?

Wouldn't it be great if she foaled at the same time as Lily - they are going to be very close I'm sure!

I'm watching her and she's calm and chillin in her same spot as usual. She finished her hay so I am going outside to feed everyone, test her again (been testing her atleast 3 times per day) and then just sit back and watch I guess. I'll test her about 11-12 tonight to see where she's at again.....

So far, no signs of agitation or "I'm gonna foal" mode.....
default_frusty.gif

Well I fed everyone and they are all tucked in for the night......

Checked missy we are still at 6.4ph and her hooha is very loose and it is a dark pink/light red color and you can see her veins because they are a deep purple color - I'm assuming the blood flow is starting down there? When I was checking her it was so loose I could see "straight in" but couldn't see the cervix so does that mean she's dilating?

She also had two loose manure piles - almost cowpatty like but definately not her usual "apples"........she's eating good and drinking good still so???

I'm so hoping she foals tonight......
default_please.gif
default_pray.gif

Another thing i forgot to mention was that the foal was moving ALOT in her flank area....almost like i could feel its head?

Big jerky movements....foal getting prepped and ready?

I think this classifies as restlesness......shes going from her grain to her hay to the other side of the stall and back again......its pouring rain here i hope it puts her in the mood!

Latest posts

Back