Missy is very depressed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Last Monday Ginny came and picked up 4 of my minis, one of which was another baby, Casey
th_00c28a39.jpg

Now Casey and Missy
th_c91bf11e.jpg
were born within 10 days of each other and were very close.

This morning Missy was even quieter than before. She was covered in sawdust and it looked as though she had rolled all over. She ate some of her grain and had to be pushed out the gate to follow the other girls.

I gave her some probios and her temp is ok, her color is fine. She's got tummy sounds too. All I can figure is she misses him. She doesn't run and play just moseys around. My heart is breaking for her. I'm even thinking about bringing the brat boy home and gelding him to keep for a companion anyways for weanlings. Any thoughts? Ideas? Input? Would she realize it was Casey and be overjoyed at his return?

Thanks my friends.

Note to BarnBum: see this is why I told you to keep both your lil girls!

i do think they get depressed when their fav buddy is taken away. I would try to get her to buddy up with another horse. it takes a little time but eventually they will bond with another horse

You can take your lawn chair and sit with her for some extra time. The more time you spend with her the faster she will get over this. I am assuming that you are keeping a good close watch on her to make sure there is not some health problem which might be contributing.

Yes, I'm spending lots of time with her. I just go out with my brush and sit on the ground and brush her. She loves it and ends up laying in my lap.

My first thought was that she is coliced or has an ulcer from stress possibly.

However I know for a fact that the loss of another's stable mate can in fact cause great depression. I've had this a few times and the worst case I ever had was when my pony Frosty lost Katie, my quarter horse. Katie was born in my arms and she was weaned at 4 months, Frosty being her baby sitter. They were together for 17 years and when she passed, he went into quite a tail spin. He went off his feed for days and days, layed down, didn't want to move and just sat under his favorite tree grieving. He was wasting away and just gave up. This is when I sought out our first mini, Holly.....she gave him a new lease on life and he gently took her under his wing and loved her dearly and was back to his old self immediately.

Soon as you determine that she is not sick, but just depressed, get on your stool and comfort her and spoil her rotten. She will buddy up to someone else, but sometimes it just takes time and hurts us to watch this in the process.

Well I spent ALOT of time with Missy today. It began to rain and it was like a switch went off and everyone perked up and began prancing and running and bucking. Course no camera
wacko.gif
but it was nice to see Halley and Missy run together.

Back