Miserable rescue stallion/birth control for mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlee

Reaction score
A friend of mine took in a very old mini stallion (in his mid 20's) in a rescue type situation. Her vet says he's just too old to geld and he's miserable being alone. You know the type....pacing all his weight off and very unhappy alone.

My suggestion was to find an old mare that would NOT take (get in foal) so he could have his companion and start enjoying what time he has left. Worries are that that "won't take" mare would turn up in foal though! Do they make birth control for mares? Or....are there any other suggestions you can make? She can't give him a gelding buddy, he won't tolerate one.

why not find him a gelding instead? I would tend to think that having a mare would just make him more depressed since he 'cant' do anything about it? Or maybe even a goat or 2

"She can't give him a gelding buddy, he won't tolerate one."

Try a colt. A lot of times stallions are really good at raising youngsters.

As far as geldings, how does she know this? Unless she has given him a fair trial with about 10 geldings, I would not dismiss the idea. He may have simply not gotten along with one particular gelding. They would need to be introduced through a secure fence, and the best is if there are no mares nearby. It might take patience but it might be worth it.

I would check with another vet. To old to geld at twenty does not seem totally reasonable to me. At that age if he is an old curmudgeon it might not help his attitude but I do not think it is because 20 is to old to do the snip and cut.

I think it's a very bad idea to get a mare just for this old guy to play with.

Wether she comes up pregnant or not, he's going to be at her constantly and that is certainly not fair and I would have issues doing that to any mare. A mare should not be used as a stallion's play toy to breed left and right just to pacify him and use and abuse her. Some may disagree but I think that is plain out wrong and nasty. Just my humble opinion, but I don't know much of course.

Find another vet and get him gelded. Everybody will be happier.

Ginny StP

I agree, find another Vet- this little guy could have another ten/fifteen years ahead of him!!

There are many infertile mares available and that is the way I would go if your friend won't go with a gelding. My opinion is that if she will put him with a gelding and GO AWAY for a few hours, when returning, she will find that they will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a barren mare for one of my stallions. He just hates other horses. He shares a fence line with my big horses, but that didn't seem to make a difference in his attitude. Last fall he got very depressed. So I found a barren mare, but I made sure she was one who could hold her own and let him know who's boss.

She let him know right off the bat that she wouldn't take any pushy-shovey from him.
biggrin.gif

Now they are best friends. When she's in heat, I just put her on the opposite side of the fence and he still doesn't bother her much, even though she teases him like crazy.

I don't have to seperate them during her heats. My vet said it won't bother anything for her to be bred, she's totally completely sterile. I just prefer to not run my stallion down by letting them be "together" during her heats.

I also agree with the others though, get a second vets opinion. As long as the stallion is healthy, I don't see a reason why he can't be gelded.

I don't see any thing wrong with get a starile(sp) mare, a colt or other geldings, all great ideas to me.. but, as for gelding him, I'm with the vet. We talked to our vet about getting midnight, our 26 year old stud gelded & he said "No!" he wouldn't do it. The anesteasa(sp?) could kill him, he may not wake up from it. The surgery it self could give him a heart attack. He'll still be studish. He can still have erections & breed(but no seed
rolleyes.gif
)... more cons. the pros! JMHO!

Jacquee said:
"She can't give him a gelding buddy, he won't tolerate one."
Try a colt. A lot of times stallions are really good at raising youngsters.

As far as geldings, how does she know this? Unless she has given him a fair trial with about 10 geldings, I would not dismiss the idea. He may have simply not gotten along with one particular gelding. They would need to be introduced through a secure fence, and the best is if there are no mares nearby. It might take patience but it might be worth it.

464669[/snapback]

DOH! I read and reread his post and still missed that point LOL But you are right, she should try other geldings. Like humans, not all horses will get along.

Any surgery poses risks and age does play a role. However, I am with Marty on this, too put a mare in there to be his punching bag may be too much. To find a mare that will put up with him, put him in his place and that is sterile is probably next to impossible. I would get a second Vet opinion about Gelding, from an equine Vet. Age shouldnt be an issue, but his overall health should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about horses but I know in dogs age is a huge issue when dealing with anesthetics. They just simply don't always come out of it properly.

choklitbean said:
Don't know about horses but I know in dogs age is a huge issue when dealing with anesthetics.  They just simply don't always come out of it properly.
464990[/snapback]

Which is why my vet castrates horses standing up. They are given some "joy juice" that makes them totally oblivious to what is going on - but they remain on their feet. And recovery seems to go better too.

A friend's stallion was gelded at 28 years of age...no problems.

Latest posts

Back