Miscarriage at 8 months, headed to vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanimals86

Reaction score
Hey all, this is a little last minute so you might not have time to weigh in, but my mare just miscarried her foal at 8 months and I am hauling her to the vet this afternoon for a check up. What questions do I need to ask and what tests/exams do I really need to push for? This would have been approximately her fifth foal, I believe. I bought her in June after she had just been bred. I've been putting my heart and soul into her pre-natal care, so I know it's not a nutrient deficiency or visible illness. She is not registered so her age (15) is an estimate.

I am sorry for the loss. That is so disappointing. Unfortunately these things do happen and often we never know why. How is your mare doing? What did the vet have to say?

Was the cord twisted? A twisted umbilical cord is one fairly common reason for an abortion. Possibly infection? EHV is one possibility. Something toxic in the hay? It can be just "one of those things".

I am sorry for the loss. That is so disappointing. Unfortunately these things do happen and often we never know why. How is your mare doing? What did the vet have to say?

Was the cord twisted? A twisted umbilical cord is one fairly common reason for an abortion. Possibly infection? EHV is one possibility. Something toxic in the hay? It can be just "one of those things".
Thank you. My vet looked at the photos I took of the baby (such an awful thing to have stored on your phone but i thought it might be important to show him) and he immediately observed that the cord was very twisted. The poor little filly didnt have a chance. He gave me instructions for watching her rear end for irregular discharge (but said to expect discharge approx 7-10 days following miscarriage as this is the "foal heat" and the uterus will do a big self-clean. If i see discharge at 21 days past the miscarriage thats a bad sign and she'll need to get checked out. But he said she seems very healthy and if something was wrong she should look pretty sick.

I lost one of the first foals due here to severely twisted cord. I have those pics on my computer, I rarely look at them, but kept them as record.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss and it sounds like you did all you could to give the precious foal the best chance of survival. Sometimes these things happen and it’s no one’s fault. My thoughts are with you. Gigantic hug to you, your family, and your mare.

Latest posts

Back