MinPins........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bess Kelly

Reaction score
This past summer I lost my lovely Chi. After several months, I have opened my home to another dog.

Molly is another rescue.....1 yr, absolutely beautiful, loving, and too smart for her own good!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

(She had been bred on first heat...delivered 3 beautiful females, full-blooded, and #4 got stuck. The "owner" did not take her to vet until 3 days later
default_new_shocked.gif
.........she was removed from "owner", received needed vet care, recovered wonderfully and she was referred to me via a friend in rescues, who had been watching for a little female I could be in sync with. All of her daughters are now in wonderful homes, also)

Sooooo....the question... Molly takes great pleasure in chasing the barn cat off of my porches
default_rolleyes.gif
and the cat just runs off to make her happy, returns later.
default_biggrin.png
Anyway, with the weather changes I have had a few mice decide to "come on in". Now, I had caught a couple just before bringing Molly home. I removed the traps before picking her up, 3 weeks now. I had caught one in a trap that was under a piece of furniture (she couldn't get under there) just 2 days ago. She had been actively chasing the thing a day or so before and has been rather "determined" to find it/them. Last night, she was up and after one that she heard moving around. Got her calmed (put her in kennel)........and she was curled up with me on sofa about 5 AM this morning as I had my morning coffee -- quietly enjoying it, or so I thought! -- then.........

She heard the mouse! After it!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Went under the couch, back & forth, then I heard it squeek from under there..........it ran out at the far end, along a wall and behind something -- Molly in HOT persuit!

It ran out and under a table -- she went under there and grabbed it :DOH! came out with it in her mouth and it was squeeking. I told her to "leave it", she dropped it, I grabbed it and flushed it! (1 min total time)

Are MinPins originally from ratting dogs? I know many of the "terrier" breeds are --- she's as fast as any cat I've had
default_wacko.png
But, I sure don't want her tearing things up in the chase -- or eating them!

Even with this penchant :DOH! I love her to death!! All 7# of her.......she's a real love bug.
default_aktion033.gif

Yes Min Pins were originally bred for catching rodents. At least thats what I have read in several books, magazines and articles. Mine love to catch little critters. Rudy even likes to eat them!!!!!! ewwwww
default_smileypuke.gif
And he does NOT listen to me when I say drop it! He has the worst nose though! He can't smell anything. We once helped him catch a mouse. We had to keep pointing him in the right direction lol
default_biggrin.png
I felt so bad afterwards though!!!!!! After all I had rats as pets when I was younger and I think mice are VERY cute!!! Rudy had a good time though
default_yes.gif

I have a minpin and wouldn't own another one. He's much older now but he was very destructive as a pup and into adulthood. Only in the last 6 months have we been able to leave him out unattended. He bites, especially me (almost daily). Barks constantly too.

My husband LOVES him (probably has something to do with biting me!) but I wouldn't replace him with another one.

If your's is good, congrats! But we call mine the Spawn of Satan for a reason.
default_wacko.png

Hey Bess,

Love your story. I have two female Minpins and just love them to death. However, I agree they are not for everyone. The are a very determined headstrong breed and would spend every second with their people if they could. They fully take advantage of whatever you let them get away with.

They use to be used to hunt vermin and just love to be on the chase of anything that moves. I have one that once she is on the scent of something, she is very hard to stop. The other one, is more reliable and will stop. The both have very different temperaments, as one really loves people and the other will go to her kennel when outside people come over. They both love all my family members. I'm not sure i'll every have another breed after being owned by a Minpin.

Enjoy your Holidays with your Minkids.
default_biggrin.png

hahahahah I'm not sure I will ever have another minpin after owning a minpin lol
default_new_rofl.gif
I honestly don't think anyone would put up with Rudy's insane ways other then me! But they really do pick their person and stick with them through thick and thin! I love them to death!

Well, she is true to her heritage
default_wink.png
default_wacko.png
Full of herself -- and I already knew that this breed was high energy, mouthy and devoted to "their" family. Was assured that she was "quieter than most" by the foster mom (who already owned 2 adults -- & now one of Molly's pups). Molly's tail had been docked as a new pup but ears are natural and will stay that way.

She will bark!! OK, I live alone and wanted to be alerted
default_rolleyes.gif
just not quite a frequently as she feels is needed some days. Molly means well! Her foster mom is very good with obediance and she reinforced the things already taught -- now I do -- and it's a job as she's still young. But so very willing to please. She does make up for my absence if more than an hr or so by bringing "my" things to "her" blankie. I swear, she's strong!! Drags my insulated coveralls across the room and up onto the couch....I've learned to keep the clothes hamper in a closed closet to keep the undies from being taken to the same couch :DOH!

We're working on fine tuning some of her exuberance. She also thinks her job in life is to occupy my lap. Good wih my 5 1/2 yr old grandaughter, my mom--my daughter, sorta--my son, ain't happening!
default_new_shocked.gif

I'm a believer that she will be perfect in a few more weeks. Just hope she doesn't eat the mice -- not part of her diet! Don't care they are dead, just don't want her to eat them, or make a huge mess on the furniture. No matter, she's not going anywhere
default_wub.png

Thanks for the replies....and help. It has confirmed my thoughts. She is fantastic at this!! Sure hope she doesn't find that skunk that hangs out some nights...
default_wacko.png
woooweee.

Oh that would be awful!!! It would smell to high heaven lol
default_biggrin.png
Rudy barks a lot too! I don't know how to get him to stop. Whenever he is acting up I try to remind myself that I am the one who isn't always consistant in correcting him so it's ultimately my own fault :DOH! Good luck with her!!! She will bring you much happiness. Rudy knows when I am sad and if I am crying he comes and lays down right in my face as if he is trying to comfort me. I know thats what he's doing because he doesn't do it any other time.

She will take good care of you
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back