Mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
ohmy.gif
I was looking at the picutes listed to vote on and there were several where the mini's were in the house. My question... Do you all let your mini's in the house? I was reading in Horse Illistrated where they say NOT to do that.. treat them like you would a big horse. What's your thoughts? My daughter would LOVE nothing more than to bring her "babies" in the house and I keep telling her "NO!" And for those of you that DO allow them in the house... what is the routine? How do you handle the poop and urine? How do they do in the house? My main thing is bringing them in and having them "relieve" themselves in the house. I already have four dogs (a weenie dog, great dane, poodle, and english bulldog) in the house. Really don't need a horse, but at some point you say, 'what the heck???"

thanks!

No, my horses live like horses.

I did in one rare instance, bring an orphaned, one week old colt in the house so that I could more easily manage feeding him every hour, and keep him warm.

BUT, he stayed in the bathroom and lots of towels on the floor. He did not make much urine or manure at first because he was semi-dehydrated and malnourished due to his dam rejecting him, but when he did, it was a mess and I really don't want a horse in my house for anything other than an emergency or accidentally, etc., rare exceptions (my ARabian once followed me into the house without me knowing she had...turned around and caught her nibbling one of my house plants. I said "no" thinking it was poison maybe, and it scared her, causing her to turn around and run out, catching a stirrup on my door jamb and tearing my screen door off, but I was glad she made it out safely!)

Liz M.

My little guy snuck into the house the other day, when I had not shut the back door all the way. He got into the dog food, and is now an addict. He tries to sneak in all the time, and even paws at the back door.

I think that God made horses to where they were able to live outside for a reason...mainly that they should be there!

I rescued this li'll fellow, and lucky if he weighed 100lbs @ 2yrs old! he is now 4 and is 325lbs, does his shows, wins ribbons, and IS house Broken! (which only took 3 days) , not only does he live in the house, he curls up at the foot of the bed! During the day he is outside and goes every where I go including Tim Hortons for his muffin and my coffee! Yes we do go out to the farm (friends) and let him be a horse, but as soon as he hears SUV start he jumps the pasture fence and jumps in back. Yea he is spoiled, but atleast he feels secure and safe around me! He is not too trusting of others because of last life he had and don't tell me that they don't dream! Many a nite I have been awakend to a screaming, whinnying,and trembling little horse at the foot of the bed, only to have him lick my face when he wakes. So you all can say this or that but just how smart are they?????? Besides I'm never late for work, I have the best alarm clock going!

ComeOnTuckMeIn.jpg

TontoWallofFame.jpg

Tonto4Ride2.jpg

P0001183.jpg

I am one that takes mine in every once in awhile. Here is just one.. I have not put any of these on Equusite but I am about to get all my pictures together and write a book on how to housebreak your horse as I have done this not only with mini horses but also with my mini donkeys
biggrin.gif
And of course my avatar shows how I haul them including the mini donkey
laugh.gif

4f425657.jpg

Well to each his own and if someone brings their horse in the house that is their business and I won't put them down, and no flames from me, but it is most definately not going to happen in mine. With over 39 years of horse experience behind me, my humble opinion is that a horse is a horse no matter what size and belongs outside. Besides the obvious, and among other things, I would be concerned for a horse's health going in and out of an air-conditioned home to the heat outside and also from a heated home to the cold outside. That said, my son snuck a mini in my house once to "visit" me when I was sick and pooped on my carpet within the first 2 seconds and no one was very amused.
new_shocked.gif

Just out of curiousity....how do you go about housebreaking a mini? Is it easier if they are babies, rather than 3 years or older? I'm not asking for a long lesson, just a quick overview!
smile.gif

These photos are just too cute. I have never known one to LIVE in the house. Wow! I think I will hide this from my kids. All I need is an excuse to have one MORE animal in the house. We already have a zoo. When my husband is out of town it is not uncommon to find two Rottweilers, two cats, and three kids in bed with me at night. I have banned the hermit crabs and the rabbits though.
wacko.gif

I never thought I would do somethign like that but, my Grandfather had a stroke and ended up living with us. One of his favorite things was to visit with the furry kids so, Since he could not go out to see them, I ended up bringing them in to see him. I have now taken them into rest homes as well and never had an accident yet, knock on wood. My mother in law now had trouble going out to see them so I also am now bringing them in to see her. She loves the smell of horse breath!

house train a horse!!! yes please tell me how!!!

I have my 1 week orphan living inside with me at the moment (makes life alot easier). And if I could just get her to run outside to got the toilet....

I will admit she is pretty good she has 3 exact places she goes (1 in each room she is allowed in! - but that is still frustrating.

Just wanted to clarify that a little fun visit every now and then wouldn't bother me and there are of course exceptions to the rule such as MaryAnn who had to raise Jeffie her orphan foal and also cases such as dmhstacy too.

I have my 1 week orphan living inside with me at the moment

He got into the dog food, and is now an addict.
new_shocked.gif
Oh my.

If I ever let a horse in the house
xkngt.gif
, my wife would move me to the barn.

Nevertheless, I am also curious about how one "house breaks" a horse. I've noticed that of our 3 stallions, 2 always go in the same place in their stalls. The other...
wacko.gif
...well, I would hope that similar training might help him a bit in his own house.

if you have a dog, as I also have a shepard who likes to play halter tag with Tonto around the coffee table, when the dog goes out he'll go out too. He figured it out pretty quick. Very observant these li'l ones are! Now he paws at the door to go, and if you don't come he comes looking for me! Havn't had a boo boo yet, so just goes to show you just how smart they can be!

No, sorry, not for me!! Horses are outdoors creatures and are herd animals. They need the company of their own kind and should not be subjected to "housebreaking" on the whim of a human. These are NOT "pets" even if we treat them as such, they are potentially wild animals who should be treated with the respect they deserve. Giving newcomers the impression that they are happy in an isolated indoors existence is totally wrong, and we should not be doing it. There are, possibly exceptions to this rule but I would have to be convinced that "City Slicker" has made extensive efforts to rehabituate the horse to living with his own kind, rather than merely encouraging him to live a un-natural existence for the novelty value it gives. This horse is still a stallion?? Just wait till he sees a mare. I don't fancy the chances of your furniture if it gets in the way! Sorry to be so harsh, and extra sorry to single you out like that but you can see the immediate interest that a post like yours brings. It may be right for your guy, I reserve judgement as I have not seen him, BUT it most certainly is not right for all the other little creatures that someone may innocently isolate in their houses for the "fun" of it and it most certainly will not be right for them when their new owners find it is not as easy as they thought it would be and abandon them. How then would they be rehabilitated back into a natural way of life?? Incidentally my very well habilitated little people make exactly those noises and scrabbily movements with their feet when they are dead asleep- they just do it in a nice deep straw bed in their stalls.
smile.gif

I do actually consider my horses pets, but NOT house pets. No way. Everyone needs to do as they feel best for thier horses, however, I cannot imagine mine being as happy living inside as a house pet as they are living outside, with other horses. Mine live in paddocks w/ run in sheds and shade trees. They go in and out of THEIR houses as they please, but not my house.

That s correct to each their own
smile.gif
.. But I have done the housebreaking on several equines over the years..I had one that would go to the door just like a dog might do. And yes I do think it is a bit easier to do this with the young ones, but then again that is all I tries this with. My gelding would start lifting one back leg at a time very similar to young child, you know getting fidgety, and after seeing this and then letting him out when He had to go He soon learned to go to the door when wanting to "go out". And I do believe my donkey was the easiest to train this way. I would have in for hours at a time and not one "accident".. Of course if you click on my picture link you will see even a 7 month old Purebred Arabian filly in thew house, in the kitchen no halter on no rope around her neck just loose and walking around, looks like she maybe doing the dishes in one shot
biggrin.gif
And those 4 pictures were printed in a national Arabian magazine
aktion033.gif
I have been doing this now for almost 30 years.
laugh.gif

Yes - that now reminds me. I have been caught out having to finish clipping my stallion in my kitchen (the easiest floor to clean - I dont have enough lighting outside of a night). And he is such a good boy he never even got fidgety but he did start dripping... (you know where). So I have gotten a bucket and he has relieved himself staright into the bucket ...

he is 10yrs I have only had him a year so maybe someone has trained him!

Though he is no house pet.. if any of my mares called out or came in view .. look out sliding doors!

Shelley! Many of us occasionally allow the very infrequent visit for a treat but very few actually keep them for any length of time in a house. Minis are indeed "little horses". Like their larger counterparts are most happy when grazing and itching and rolling and running.

Your pair will have a great time with Savannah visiting often. My Glacia was so enraptured with her new horse at 12, she slept in the barn and did her school work in the paddock. Her first mini was an abused colt and he did follow her everywhere and that did include the house to the fridge for a treat and then back out.

My Missy has that temperment and I'm sure would follow me everywhere but the house is for people and their pets, while my horses are my beloved pets as well, they have a lovely barn, big stalls bedded with deep sawdust and nite lites and music. I'm tickled you are so in love with your new additions. You aint's seen nothin yet! You're addicted!
yes.gif

I would bring mine in if my husband would let me. Wouldn't a horse be the same as a dog? Dogs are herd animals also and they do fine with people as their herd. I think it would be a good career for the tiniest horses. What would be the difference with a stallion and a stud dog? Neither would be a comfortable house pet with females around! Maybe in a few years that is one direction the minis will go...

Marsha

strass said:
He got into the dog food, and is now an addict.
new_shocked.gif
Oh my.

If I ever let a horse in the house
xkngt.gif
, my wife would move me to the barn.

Nevertheless, I am also curious about how one "house breaks" a horse. I've noticed that of our 3 stallions, 2 always go in the same place in their stalls. The other...
wacko.gif
...well, I would hope that similar training might help him a bit in his own house.

479248[/snapback]

He didn't get but a mouthful of the dog food, I heard those little hooves on the tile and ran back in the kitchen, it scared him, so he of course stumbled and ran out the door. I watched him like a hawk for like 3 days, listening for belly noises constantly, but nothing out of the ordinary at all, only that he is constantly wanting in the house now.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back