Minis trimming(what does your farrier charge?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My farrier charges me $25 per mini and it is well worth it. She has a 2 hour drive to get to me to start with. I think if you are happy and your farrier is doing the best job for your horse then he/she is worth every penny they ask for.

Our farrier is $30 per trim and we have him out once a month. he is so kind to all the horses and does a great job. He does charge new clients more now since he is limited in time. he usually trims 15-20 horses per visit (5 of us with horses). jennifer
default_saludando.gif

Ok i think im not charging enough :DOH!

just kidding dan and i only charge $12-$15 per mini with discounts for large groups

we arent in it to rake anyone over the coals just to enjoy our job and help the animals

we do go back to some places every 4 weeks depending on what the correction is

i would like to expand our route more

so let me know

dawn

I pay $40 a trim. It's a little much, but as has been said, you get what you pay for. My farrier is older and it takes a lot of effort. He's the ex-president of the farrier's association, and great at what he does, so I expect to pay more.

My farrier charges $15 per horse , and no farm call charge. Sounds like I am REAL lucky compared to the rest of the world! I trim them myself alot of times, also. I used to trim my big horses, too. ( I took a course in college -Equine major)

I trim my own and have since 1984. Thank goodness; I could NEVER have afforded even the number I have now(my highest number was 17 minis; now I have 8, want to have no more than 6) if I had not had the knowledge AND ability to do them myself. I am slow, but very good at it; worked at being so.

I just gave up my fullsized mare, but the (excellent)farrier I had used for her(just too physically difficult for me to do a fullsized) had last charged $35 for a trim, $75 for shoeing-as of Feb. of '07.

Margo

Mine used to be 20-25 a horse. But now I do my own.

We have had horses since 1991.

It was difficult to get the farrier when needed and after a few years of being upset if a horses hooves were getting too long I started trying some trimming with the hoof knife and rasp until he was able to come.

As everyone knows their hooves grow at different speeds and with 27 horses I would need a farrier to drop by every couple of weeks to keep everyone looking neat.

For the last few years I have been able to handle all the trimming and every so often have the best farrier around this area drop in to take a look at a couple with problem feet.

He says I do a great job and coming from him it's a nice compliment.

Today a farrier in this area is 30.00 to 40.00 a horse.

I do know of people who get a very nice trim from a mennonite gentleman for 8.00 a horse, but he can only look after people within the distance his horse will travel, since he will not ride in a gas powered vehicle apparantley.

I have trimmed for others, but only if they are stuck, since I am not a professionally trained farrier.

When I have trimmed for others I told them around 10.00 a horse since I was not a pro, and in one case I did it for nothing because I felt it would really help the little horse at the time.

[SIZE=12pt]i know our vet does our feet for our minis and she is awesome! im not exactly shure how much she cahrges but i know for a fact its nogt a lot[/SIZE]

When I used a farrier for the minis he charged $35 a horse no matter the size. Now my husband and I do all the minis ourselves and only have the farrier do the 4 large horses. This saves so much money. Though my farrier is my cousin and taught us how to do it. If you add up 21 horses at $35.
default_wacko.png
He knows I can't afford that every 6-8 weeks so was so nice to show my husband and I how to trim.
default_biggrin.png

$25.00 for a trim.

When we had our first big horses, the farrier used to charge $20/horse. After getting into minis, I soon learned how to trim myself!

I have been trimminig my horses hooves ever since buying my first minis, back in '94. Last year, I messed up my back, and was the first time I had to pay someone else to trim my horses hooves. She came in, and trimmed a bunch...she was FAST, but in my opinion, sloppy! Seemed all she was worried about was getting in and getting done so she could move onto the next far, She came from about 4 hours away to this area, to get in as many horses as she could, so it was rush in, rush out. She charged $25/horse, and I was NOT impressed, and bad back or not, I decided I would do them myself, even if I had to do one here and one there, to get them done. This was a "professional" farrier, that went away to school for this too, not just some self-proclaimed farrier.

Well, Mona! I keep commenting to people what AMAZING feet Royal has. Both genetically and "farrier-wise". Very impressed! I have a great farrier but...if you were closer LOL.

I probably have the oldest blacksmith out there. He's 84 years old and still going strong. He charges $20.00 for trims but is only $50.00 to $60.00 for a set of shoes which is CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP!!

I love him!! He is wonderful and you just can't beat over 60 years of experience. And it also helps that he's only around 5 ft. tall!

FLOYD PIAZZA IS THE BEST!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
$25/per trim here, I did have a foal worked on that was a couple weeks and was not charged for him, Our farriers are great....They have showed my husband how to do them, and he usually does most of them, but even with him doing them when he has time, I still have quite a few for them to do every 8-10 weeks....they are about 1 1/2hrs. away, but do alot of horses in the area, so they schedule a trip it is usually hitting many farms along the way. They are ALWAYS here when they say they will be, and that means alot to me, and I know it is back breaking work for them.

I charge $15 for minis at my big barns, $20 for people with 10 or less and $25 for horses.

Minis are so much easier on my body and I'm afraid many of my clients couldn't afford to have theirs done on a regular schedule if I charged more.

I'll probably have to go up in the near future due to gasoline prices, but probably only a couple dollars.

I certainly don't fault any farrier who charges the same for both, it does take the same time to do a mini as a horse. I can just do a lot more minis in a day and when they shift or sit down on me it doesn't hurt quite the same.

I promise you, none of us get rich doing this. It's a labor of love.
default_yes.gif

Mine charges $35 a trim, but has taught me how to do it myself, so I would say he is priceless. He has been my farrier for the last 10+ years.

He comes out once or twice every year to check my work, and clean them up a little. All in all, he said he has very little to do when he comes here (guess that means I am doing a good job
default_biggrin.png
). I still like to keep my name on the books, you never know when you are going to have a foal that requires corrective work, like lifts or "glue shoes" as I call them.

Carolyn

My farrier is very good to us..she is very willing to share with me what she is doing so if I want to do them myself, I could She charges $30.00 per horse, big or small and told me last time that she has to go up by $5 for gas, not per horse but per trip. I have thought about trying to do them myself, but unsure of it with my back. I have been thinking about trying the barracudas.
default_smile.png

I just switched farriers because the last one I had did a crappy job I ended up having to call her back because she left Millie to high up on her right front. I thought it was pretty sad. I won't be calling her back. She charged 20 a horse no matter the size. I am trying out my landlords farrier this next go around though. He does really good work from what I have heard so I really hope he's as good as she says he is. He's charging me $25 but normally its $30. If he doesn't work then I have someone else in mind too.

Latest posts

Back