Minis killed by Pit Bulls in California?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
A friend of mini contacted me and said she saw on the news this morning where pit bulls attacked and killed several miniature horses and kittens in Lincoln, Ca. Thats just down the road from me. Does anyone know about this? I tried to find something on it via the internet but am not seeing anything. She said the news mentioned it happened either last night or early this morning. This is just horrific if it is true!

OMG! I'm on the east coast and haven't heard about this, but it happened in Northern Maryland several years ago and the horses were in really bad shape, one had severed tendons. To top it off we had to shot a dog for chasing ours and the neighbors that owned him wanted to know why. This was after we called them three times to control this dog. Some dog owners are just unresponsible and don't care about others. What a shame!

I heard the headline but went outside so didn't hear the story. Hopefully it will be on the news again. I also couldn't fine anything on the news websites.

So sad.

That is so sad. We have neighbors who sometimes allow their dogs to run free. I would love to walk my guy down the road to see the world and for exercise (him and me) but I am too afraid we will run into the one that isn't very friendly. My dog isn't good with horses and he isn't allowed loose at all. He has a chain link pen that keeps everyone safe.

I can't find any news about it either. Was it KCRA news?

It is a shame that this happens so often here in California. We have leash laws, but so many people think it does not apply to them. If people don't have fencing to keep their dogs on their own property they should not own dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends said she thought she was watching Sacramento 31 News. I still do not see anything. When I was a little girl a pit bull attacked my shetland pony. It was an ugly battle and the owners of the off leash pit bull were standing there helpless screaming at their dog and several other neighbors watched helplessly. I was freaked out ( a young child) and my mom finally grabbed a shovel and got in the stall and started beating the dog on the head. It was locked on to my pony's jaw. The pony had it squeezed between its front legs. The dog finally let go and ran out of the pen without a scratch on it but a headache I am sure. My mom was the Hero that day. Amazing what a mom can do when she goes to battle for her child. My pony required stitches all over and a multitude of shots for a couple weeks. I can not imagine what would have happened had we not been there.

I haven't heard anything down here - googled it and saw something from April of this year. How sad
default_no.gif

Liz N.

I saw it today on GoodDay Sacramento. That is channel 31. They sister station is KOVR 13. I can't find the report anywhere on either of their sites.

I heard the pit bulls killed 2 mini horses in their stalls. I believe they said the dogs had killed some of their cat previously, but can't remember for sure on that! Just know they said 2 minis died, they actually found the dogs chewing on the neck of one of the minis. That is all I heard.

Sure makes me mad that they don't have the story on their website!

I had to edit this because I found a blog on a Pit bull attack that I thought was about the mini's but it was about other dogs.

I did record the show though so I can go back and find it again. Only thing is, I don't know how to go from my DVR to a computer to share it here!

That irritates me that it is not being reported! How sad for the owners of the minis. Breaks my heart
no.gif

I say to all of you...

TAKE PEPPER SPRAY on your walks. I did and never incountered the dogs who was after my minis again. they did'nt like being sprayed!

I am so tired of hearing about pit bull attacks on animals and people. It seems that this breed is far more likely to have unprovoked attacks than other breeds. We hear monthly about attacks on people and animals in California.

As has been described by others on this post, these animals lock their jaws on their victims and are especially fond of the head and neck region. If they do not kill them outright, then inevitably the victum is euthenized or dies later.

I understand when counties and cities and even countries (Ireland and Australia) ban these dogs.

What ever triggers them is impossible to stop once they get going.

I am a huge dog lover, but my love stops at these dogs. There seems to be few if any people that are qualified to have them. You may say "blame the people, not the dog", but I blame both. There are way too many incidents with this breed. Do a google search and be prepared to spend a few hours.

default_1857272.gif

A lot of immature and insecure people are atracted to pit bulls simply because of their bad reputation. They want to own the meanest, toughest dog of all. Long ago it was german shepards, then dobermans, but it seems that the pit bull popularity has lasted as long as baggy pants. In the pet section in the newspaper it seems that pit bull far outnumber any other breed.

I don't think the breed should be banned. The responsible breeders call them by their proper name. All large breed dogs can be dangerous. i guess even small breed dogs too.

It might help if it were required to have all dogs microchipped. It might help deter bad owners and breeders. the dogs could be traced back to owners if they are found. This could help to make them responsible for what their dog did. It wouldn't stop the problem but it might help. the current laws need to be enforced. This problem needs to be taken much more seriously.

A lot of immature and insecure people are atracted to pit bulls simply because of their bad reputation. They want to own the meanest, toughest dog of all. Long ago it was german shepards, then dobermans, but it seems that the pit bull popularity has lasted as long as baggy pants. In the pet section in the newspaper it seems that pit bull far outnumber any other breed.

I don't think the breed should be banned. The responsible breeders call them by their proper name. All large breed dogs can be dangerous. i guess even small breed dogs too.

It might help if it were required to have all dogs microchipped. It might help deter bad owners and breeders. the dogs could be traced back to owners if they are found. This could help to make them responsible for what their dog did. It wouldn't stop the problem but it might help. the current laws need to be enforced. This problem needs to be taken much more seriously.

You are so right Sheila! All dogs are bred to do something "special" and have instincts that run strong. I have met many pit bulls that are sweet family dogs, but they have been raised by responsible owners who have done a lot of training. Pit Bulls were originally nanny (yes nanny as in child) dogs. Unfortunately at the hand of bad breeders trying to make them mean they have developed over the years in to a fighting dog. A Pit Bull is a terrier and terriers are a high drive hunting dog. You take this natural instinct and mix it with selective aggressive behavior breeding and it becomes very dangerous. It is the low life, gang bangers and egotistical creeps who are responsible in the long run. There are more Pit and Pit crosses in the shelter than any other breed and there are more of them listed on craigslist because they are being bred like crazy because most people who own them can not afford to spay/neuter them or think that neutering a male is all wrong. These are the kind of people that own these dogs and give them a bad name. It is not the dog's fault that they were bred to be aggressive and un-social and not properly trained. Since I do dog rescue I see a lot of dogs of all breeds and mix's that were products of poor environments and lacked basic training and were raised to be mean, not just the Pits. I have seen a ton of vicious small spoiled dogs that granted they might not do damage to a horse or mini, but sure can bite a human hand or face. You hardly ever hear about those dog bites, but the Pits, Rotties, GSD, etc, you always hear about.

I wish that every person that was advertises pups for sale in any way- public or private, had to be licensed and certified as a responsible breeder and pay a few $$ for each litter that is produced and alloted only so many litters a year depending on experience. There is hardly any real market for Pits and that should be a factor in allowing them to be bred and sold.

Ok guys my flame suit is ready...

Pits do not lock their jaw any differently than any other type of dog. They simply have the jaw muscles that make it harder to open when you try to make them. Pits are NOT the number one biting dog... I believe at the moment that would be the Dalmation. I do believe however that irresponsible breeders and owners inbreed their dogs and then it makes for trouble (mostly in the brain!). Then these people dont fix them and let them run loose breeding Pit looking dogs and with so many of them running around now when anyone gets bit the chances are high that everyone calls it a Pit because it is part Pit... Heck people are even scared of my registered Boxer because everyone thinks he is a Pit! I will admit that when a Pit does bite it usually does more damage because of the large jaw muscles. And I loved my Pit but do think there needs to be some type of breeding program where you have to get a licence in order to breed them because of the power of their jaws. Only responsible breeders who will keep track of their offspring... something like that. BTW we bred competitive Labradors when I was much younger. My Pit was always much much sweeter with kids than our Labs were...

One more thing... Dobermans... if you really knew much about how most of them truely are you would laugh every time you saw one being used as a guard dog. Biggest babies ever!!! Mine did bite once, when the neighbor was playing a video game and he accidentally sat (jumped) on her while she was sleeping on the couch. She scraped his back and then went and hid and wouldnt come out for 3 hours. SWEET SWEET SWEET BABY GIRL!! Still my favorite breed ever. If they didnt have so many heartbreaking health problems I would own them for the rest of my life!

I agree with Sandy above me except for "There is hardly any real market for Pits ". The extremely responsible breeders who carefully mix their animals for betterment of the breed (not for agression) easily get $800 per puppy.

Pits are NOT the number one biting dog... I believe at the moment that would be the Dalmation.
Yes, there a whole WORLD of difference in being bitten by a dog, and being fatally wounded, or ripped apart in a blood frenzy.

Absolutely, there are many dogs more likely to "simply" bite...but there are NOT many more (if any) breeds more likely to KILL once they DO bite. I have known and know now, a few Pits, and although their owners are very responsible, even they will admit that they are not a safe dog with smaller animals and should never-ever run free without supervision. They are beautiful, affectionate and loving dogs, but many of the ones who have slaughtered and killed, have been loving pets that turned. Why? I cannot imagine, but it has happened enough that they are banned from many places. I wish there was a way to prevent only the wrong people from having them, but they have become such a status symbol I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I am not saying Pits are the only ones who will go for the kill, far-far from it, but I do get tired of how so many Pit owners go on about how they are less apt to bite than other breeds; in a somewhat vain attempt at making them "look" safer than they are. What they were 200+ years ago matters not...

Ok guys my flame suit is ready...

Pits do not lock their jaw any differently than any other type of dog. They simply have the jaw muscles that make it harder to open when you try to make them. Pits are NOT the number one biting dog... I believe at the moment that would be the Dalmation. I do believe however that irresponsible breeders and owners inbreed their dogs and then it makes for trouble (mostly in the brain!). Then these people dont fix them and let them run loose breeding Pit looking dogs and with so many of them running around now when anyone gets bit the chances are high that everyone calls it a Pit because it is part Pit... Heck people are even scared of my registered Boxer because everyone thinks he is a Pit! I will admit that when a Pit does bite it usually does more damage because of the large jaw muscles. And I loved my Pit but do think there needs to be some type of breeding program where you have to get a licence in order to breed them because of the power of their jaws. Only responsible breeders who will keep track of their offspring... something like that. BTW we bred competitive Labradors when I was much younger. My Pit was always much much sweeter with kids than our Labs were...

One more thing... Dobermans... if you really knew much about how most of them truely are you would laugh every time you saw one being used as a guard dog. Biggest babies ever!!! Mine did bite once, when the neighbor was playing a video game and he accidentally sat (jumped) on her while she was sleeping on the couch. She scraped his back and then went and hid and wouldnt come out for 3 hours. SWEET SWEET SWEET BABY GIRL!! Still my favorite breed ever. If they didnt have so many heartbreaking health problems I would own them for the rest of my life!

I agree with Sandy above me except for "There is hardly any real market for Pits ". The extremely responsible breeders who carefully mix their animals for betterment of the breed (not for agression) easily get $800 per puppy.

I have both an American Bulldog and a Doberman. Have had Dobes for years and they are all bark and BIG babies. Fantastic dogs they are. I rescued the American Bulldog on her last day at the shelter. She is one of the greatest dogs I have ever owned. People see her and are afraid because of her huge head and can not believe I own a "pit bull". I happily explain that an American Bulldog was developed from a English Mastiff and a Boxer. Many people are uneducated. When I raised and showed the Dobermans and had an occasional litter, I had people calling and asking about my puppies and saying they wanted the most aggressive acting puppy. I immediately informed them that none of my puppies were aggressive nor were the parents and even if they were, I would never sell to anyone who was looking for aggressive. That is what ruins these dogs breeds. I guarantee that the pit bulls that attack people and animals are not owned by responsible breeders who are out to better the breed and or show owners. The ones that attack are usually running loose and are owned by irresponsible big ego people who want a "mean dog". The problem with Pits is they attack to kill, like a few other breeds. However Pitts are not the only dog to chase and kill livestock.

My mothers best friend raised pits and she loved those dogs. Had them from puppies on and they were never let loose or untrained. Even when we lived with her for a year, I could not get near them and she had to keep them in the yard when I was inside because they would try to attack me. One ended up biting her daughter and had to be put down. I think there are some that are good, but there is just too much bad breeding in them that comes out. I would never ever trust one no matter what kind of training or owner they had. Same with a chow. I had two different friends attacked by two different chows (both family dogs that had never shown aggressiveness before).

I will stick with my collies. Even the collie I rescued that had been abused for two years and had run away and lived wild for 4 months never offered to bite or growl (even when my baby sister would jump on him) and was the most loving dog one could ask for. The collie i have now often takes in stray cats and always has kitten or two by her side. I have never have to worry about her with the horses. Her only vice is that she steals the covers
default_smile.png

The pitbulls that attack are not always the unloved, poorly trained, poorly behaved ones. Over the years I've known of a number of attacks involving pits that were beloved family pets, considered safe with children, considered safe in general. They weren't necessarily farm dogs, but were, up until the instant of attack, gentle, friendly dogs that were normally obedient. Then they're let off leash, or in some cases not--I've known of a couple attacks that occurred while the dog was still on leash, just allowed close enough to the horse to jump at it and get hold of it. The dog, usually one that is unfamiliar with horses, sees the horse being ridden past and suddenly something in his little doggy brain snaps and he goes for the horse--most often grabbing onto the nose and then won't let go. Given their determination and strength, it can be very difficult to get the dog off of the horse. After hearing about one such attack on a horse I vowed to always carry a knife, a hunting knife, that if necessary I could use to protect myself and my horse while out riding (or driving)--and yes, if at all possible I would use that knife to slit the throat of any dog that grabbed onto my horse & wouldn't come off! Thankfully it has never been necessary.

I pray that no one in my neighborhood ever gets a pitbull. We do not need one of those running loose around here.

I'm not a big fan of Pits simply because of the strength of the jaws.Just this past week there was a news item about a man in my TV viewing area being killed by his own Pit.Family swears it wasn't the dog, but victim had multiple dog bites on him when he was found dead.In my area Pits are owned and carelessly bred by the local thugs and gang types.Years ago I bred German Shepherds(same line for 42 years)and always had people wanting an attack trained and viscious dog.(Didn't get 1 of my pups)Many breeds can be made to be viscious.I feel sorry for the dogs who have STUPID IRRESPONSIBLE owners.

Latest posts

Back