Minis going through slaughter auction on Monday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horses are a revered part of our culture -- the founding of our country, the Old West, etc. They were an integral part of the development of the U.S. They have an almost mythical status for most people.

The difference between pigs, cows, lamb, etc. is that horses are not bred for slaughter, as are the animals that you mentioned. They are bred to be pets, companion animals, for sport. They are not part of our food chain in the U.S.

Horses are a revered part of our culture -- the founding of our country, the Old West, etc. They were an integral part of the development of the U.S. They have an almost mythical status for most people. . . . .
As were the buffalo and the longhorn. The early Indians would just as soon eat a horse as a buffalo except that the horse was valuable for other purposes. When they had outlived that purpose or were no longer usable, they were happily eaten.

I would take a couple but I'm at the happy point. With having 24 minis and 6 Big horses. I don't think there is enough time in the day for any more.

Is it NOT amazing we can Criticize other culters for starving verses eating the COW. Sorry WHAT are we to do with the un-wanted?

Does anyone know the outcome of the sale yet? Interested to see how many they got.
default_laugh.png

Yes, I was curious too as to what happened at the auction. Anyone close have answers???? Love to have one, but way to far for me. I will find a mini in need closer to where I live. There are some horrible situations everywhere! My friend acquired a pregnant registered mini mare for $200. I guess some guy unloaded 15 of them on another guy as payment for hay. He was just trying to get his money worth out of them. They were pretty much starved, full of bugs, and needed lots of help. Some went as cheap as $75. Sad.
default_no.gif
So these situations are everywhere! Just have to look. I was too late in getting one as it wasn't advertised.
default_unsure.png

Getitia Today, 05:49 AM Post #36 To add to Belinda's comments. Some things to consider - from a Slaughter dealer's perspective, minis and small ponies are to full size horses from a slaughter perspective as a sparrow is to a chicken.

In the world of a slaughter dealer, many will go from sale to sale. Often they will purchase a mini or pony for resale at another sale - so a mini purchased for 10.00 at one sale in the north- is resold in the south at for 50 or 60 the following week. Even a 40 or 50 dollar profit each on 3 or 4 minis will pay for their gas expenses. Because minis are more economical to keep, they will often buy a few to keep in their "slaughter" pens for resale. I knew of one slaughter dealer and he was well known as a dealer - and he would buy a couple in his words - of cute ponies during the sale - as he knew later he would be approached by someone at the end of the sale in an emotional plea to save it from going to slaughter and thus he would make a few bucks. Small minis, ponies are also not desired from a slaughter dealers perspective due to damage during shipping. They want large healthy 15 hand and above in height horses as they are all shipped together. Put a few minis in the mix and they can be trampled - seriously injured or killed during shipment.

I applaud anyone trying to find better homes for any size horse or pony going through a sale.
I believe i know who this person is your talking about. We use to go to this sale from time to time as they have a huge tack auction before and we always walk back to the kill pens and there are always a few minis in there, then more toward the end of the sale you notice the minis in the kill pens have been brought up to stalls by themselves. I guess you could consider them "lucky". Not a big fan of this man, not the nicest guy to try to talk with
default_no.gif

Hello

I don't have all the details yet as Kristin is exhausted both mentally and physically and will give a complete update later.

She was able to get 9 minis 3 of which are said to be bred mares. The numbers we were told were not there. Some of these are in good shape some not. She was also able to get 2 ponys in very bad shape and I think a draft colt that she just could not leave in the killer pen. Kristin also rescued several big horses for her rescue in Kansas. All in all, a good day for at least some of Gods creatures.

Ginny St Pierre, President CMHR

I agree with WHAT is supposed to be done with some of these animals then, if no sales? Deer in the wild that overbreed, due to lack of preditors, eat themselves out of house and home and then starve to death, or get diseases which naturally culls down the numbers.

Horses do not have that option. Where are they supposed to go? There are more rescue organizations for animals now than I have ever seen and they are all FULL. One here can house about 12 full sized horses. She has 60 now! People are dumping them in the desert - turning them loose to fend for themselves. It's ridiculous.

Does anyone know if all these horses are coming from the same farm? WHY are they still breeding if they have to sell their horses in this manner?

There is a farm in MO that trucks Minis out here also to sell through the auction....

Latest posts

Back