Minis get themselves into the strangest of situations!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Leopard

Reaction score
This morning I went out to feed. Normally the boys come running up, excited for their food. When they didn't come I started calling for them. Still, no horses. I proceeded to walk away from the barn out into the dark paddock. I heard some jingling (from the blankets) and I began to see both horses walking towards me. I thought it was kinda funny how slowly and closely they were walking, but when I got closer I could see why. They were STUCK together! :DOH! At first I just thought they got their blankets hung on each other. At closer inspection I saw that somehow Toby had gotten his right rear leg down the front of Logan's blanket. They were pretty calm considering. I was able to unbuckle the front of Logan's blanket and set Toby free. I just kept talking calmly to them until he was loose. Toby seemed to be walking fine once he was loose and he went straight to eat so I assume he was fine. I had to leave to go to work, but I'm anxious to get home this afternoon to see if he is not hurt.
default_unsure.png

Just thought I would share. Such a random thing to happen.

Laura

We have a horse that we routinely find him standing with a bucket wrapped around some part of his body.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have learned not to leave the plastic lawn chairs in the field- unless you enjoy watching one of the boys with it around his head tossing it into the air......

Just as a safety measure, I have never blanketed horses and then turned them out- none of them. They are only blanketed in a stall- alone. You never know if one will get a leg or something else caught in the strap of another, and ..... That is kinda funny though that they figured out how to walk slowly together- sort of like figuring out how to move in a 'sack race'- at least they were ok! (I can hear them now... 'turn left' - 'no! You turn left' - 'cut down this hill'- 'no I want to go this way' - )

And that is why i will not turn horses out together with blankets on
default_smile.png
. I know my boys like to play, i guess what happened i would like to try to avoid, my horses would not take it as calm as yours did
default_laugh.png

A few weeks back, i turned out two of the horses in the drylot and started to walk away and lock the gate. Somehow, a plastic walmart bag (i normally have one in my pocket for roundpenning ext, must have blown out) got into the roundpen and one of the geldings picked it up with his mouth and then took off running with it in his mouth! He tried running up to the other horse and they all took off! They almost ran through the fence and im standing by the gate like
default_new_shocked.gif
. Thankfully, the goof dropped it after a few good laps around the drylot at full spead ahead. Poor Kitty about had a heart attack, her brother was chasing her with a plastic bag; i can only imagine what was going through her head
default_wink.png
default_wacko.png

Im happy Debut had a sense of humor that day and let me know the bag fell out so i could go back and get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad your two boys are ok. They can and do get into so much. My Missy is quite the problem child. If I have a side snap halter on her, go to get something and comeback she has the halter hooked on the fence. Then she will back into the fence taking baby steps (it is chain link) until the fence pops over her back and she is out. Then if I don't put the clip on the gate she is out in a flash. She will even let the stud and his mare companion out but it isn't for breeding it is to have something fun to do. Like watch me try to get everyone sorted out and put back.

My black and white mare LOVES to stand in the feed trough. She just stands there with her two front feet in the trough. Someday soon I'm going to take a picture cuz I think its funny but its just like something fun for her to do. I think her mother did it too so.. But my mare is pregnant now so I wonder if she'll be able to get in and out of it as she gets bigger, she's due in Sept. Guess we'll see.

Glad your boys are ok.

Have you noticed though that Minis in general are too smart and when they get into trouble(which seems to be often) they do not panic but settle down and wait quietly till they are released from their situation?

Once my daughters 26" stallion got out and into the paddock area with my 15.2 hand morgan gelding. Well the stallion decided he was going to play Napoleon and be a big guy and backed up to the gelding and started kicking. Got his hind foot caught in my geldings tail, up high. I found the gelding walking around dragging this little stallion by the hind leg. The little guy was just standing there doing nothing while he was dragged around the paddock area. Both stood quietly while I released the stallion, who again tried to act like Napoleon. :DOH!

Another time I was moving horses around and one of my stallions was in the allyway between the paddocks. He started fighting with another stallion catty corner between two gates. The other stallion reared up, got a leg caught in the gate, pulled it off its hinges and stallion and gate (mind you this was a 12' gate with wire on it to keep Minis from putting their heads through it) came crashing down. I had run to the house to get something and did not know that it had happened, but fortunatly some friends and the vet just happened to be at the barn. When I came back to the barn my friend met me at the door and told me to relax, but there was some problems with one of my stallions and the vet was tending to him at that moment. (she thought the stallion was dead as he was just laying there quietly with the 12' gate on him). I ran to the paddock area and saw him there with his head on the vets lap quite and not moving.

We got the gate off of him, and he got up and shook himself off, and acted like nothing had ever happened. The vet as well as I were amazed that he was calm enough to just lay there till help had arrived. If not, he could have been seriously injured.
default_no.gif

Aren't these just the greatest little horses!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

r

Yes I had put my little guy in the sheep pens to keep him away from the other horses (he had a cold) I carefully checked all the fences and gates, when I checked back later he had managed to get himself into the 'shoot' that the sheep go through so you can draft them, he was standing there quite calmly, the only thing he was bothered about was the fact he couldn't reach the grass anymore. Goodness knows how he had gotten in there as the entrance is so narrow. So there was definately no going backwards out so we had to go forwards. This shoot is rather narrow and he is very hairy at the moment, he also had a thick cover on which didn't help. I checked carefully to make sure he had space around his hip bones and ribs and thankfully he did, it was more the belly, the cover and the bum we had to get through , so we slowly worked our way up the shoot and finally popped out the end! What I was so impressed about was that fact that it was quite narrow and he was kind of well, squashed in there and he was so calm, just quitely waited for me to push and squish him through!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I got home and Toby's leg was just fine. I am sitting here cracking up at all the predicaments these guys have gotten into. The one where the stallion's leg got caught in the Morgan's tail had me laughing so hard. I could just picture that.

I agree... they do seem to not panic as much as you would think. I came home one day to find my 3 year old colt's head through the gate and stuck. Normally he is able to pull his head back through, but he had wedged it in at just such an angle that he couldn't get it out alone. He was standing there quietly waiting for me to release him when I got home.

My guys really don't stay in stalls much. My 3 year old has a stifle problem if he is kept up so I like to leave them loose with the option of using a run in. I was only having to blanket my gelding up until last week because he was the only one clipped since he was showing. That seemed to work just fine. This past week I decided to clip my colt because we were having 80 degree weather, but lo and behold we're back into the 30's again. This is not typical for Georgia weather so it was a surprise.

Needless to say I have my gelding in a stall tonight and my colt loose. Let's hope I have no more blanket issues in the morning.

Laura

Willow was wearing her blanket/rug and hubby went out to call the horses into the front yard. As he called out to them, Willow called back but wouldn't walk towads him. She just stood by the fence, calling to him.

He then noticed that Willow had been scratching her bum on the fence and the back buckles had attached themselves to the fence. She was tethered to the fence by her bum!
default_new_shocked.gif

She was the same, she didn't panic, she was calm.

If there's a way to get themselves in trouble - they will.

I had one get into the middle of a hay rake left out in the field. To this day I don't know how he managed to do that. Not a scratch on him, standing just as calm as could be waiting for us to rescue him.

Oh my...I am going to have nightmares tonight. I hadn't thought of this. My two boys are stabled together and since they were recently clipped, they are both wearing blankets. We don't turn them out with the blankets on but now I am terrified to have them in the stall together with their blankets on.
default_wacko.png

I don't currently have another stall open to put one of them in. And I can't leave the blankets off at night as it's too cool right now.

What should I do??
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back