Mini's eating chicken feed????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
Well, I stupidy forgot to latch my feed barn and my 4 minis got into the chicken feed. Not sure how much they munched on and how full the bag was. What can I expect?

Watch them very carefully for any signs of colic.... how much do you think they might have eaten? Hopefully they just sampled and ran...
default_yes.gif
:

A vet was here doing teeth a while ago and mentioned a case he was working on - two Arabians had gotten into some chicken feed and pigged out - hours later, they were in serious trouble... they were both okay in the end but required major vet help...

I would call the Vet I really would- my friend's two Minis got at her chicken feed- one was OK the other died in the night- it depends entirely on the metabolism of the horse.

The one that died did not colic.

It just died!!!

What kind of feed was it, medicated pellets or scratch which is basically corn and oats? If it was scratch feed and they didn't eat a lot, they should be fine. If it was medicated pellets, I'd call the vet just to be safe.

I'm not sure how much they ate. It's probably been 8 hours or so since I found them. It's 108 degrees here and humid. They are all running around in the sprinklers right now as if no one feels bad. How soon can they start colicking if they're going to?

I would at least call the vet and get the oiled. Laminitis is a major concern with the high glycemic index on chicken feed. Was it Layer or scratch or starter??? Goodluck, NO GRAIN today and very very lil hay.

[SIZE=12pt]A friend of mine just lost a horse (mini) after he ate just a little chicken feed. There's something in it apparently that is/can be deadly to horses.[/SIZE]

Good luck!

Barbie

I'd grab the bag and immediately page the vet. Tell them what happened, and read the bag to them including protein, any warnings, etc etc. If it was my horse I'd immediately administer banamine as well as request the vet out to tube/oil them. No grain for at least a day, as well. Good luck!

My first horse the first Horse ever got into it about 10 years ago. We figured she ate a half of bag us being first time horse owners had no clue she FOUNDERED! But came through it pretty good!

Definatly call the vet and keep a close eye on them!

RNR

Latest posts

Back