Minis and 4-H

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
The Massachusetts Horse magazine just published a great article on using miniature horses in 4-H. Even though we are in CT, our new Club was included - I think because I was the one who suggested the article. It is available on-line now at:

http://www.mahorse.com/Massachusetts_Horse_magazine/home.html

There is a scroll bar on the right where you can adjust the font size, if you are like me and can't read it the way it is! If anyone has sharp eyes, you might notice that the first photo (one of our members and me driving Princess) was reversed. There are other articles about minis too.

We were also told this issue will be distributed at the MA Equine Affaire in November. Lots more info on 4-H and minis on our website.

Congratulations on the recognition! We have a Miniature horse 4-H Club with almost 50 members now. It's a great group of kids - from Young Clovers (7-9 years old) all the way up to senior members.

It's so gratifying to see these young people work with their minis and show them. We have a Mini Whinnies page on our website, too. Always love seeing kids and minis! http://waywardwindsminiatures.com/Mini_Whinnies_4-H_Club.html

Mini and 4-H have exploded in our area! One club is almost all minis and they have a 4-H drill team of minis. Nearby Wisconsin has one county that is almost all minis also with their own mini drill team also. That club is HUGE! They participate quite a few areas with their minis. And now in these clubs we have seen the parents getting involved with the minis themselves too!

This is great to hear!! Thanks Lori for the link to your website. We are thinking about a drill team too. I think 4-H is where our future market is and maybe we will keep breeding as long as there are 4-Hers that need minis. I would rather donate a high quality mini to a 4-H Club than get out of breeding!

Please keep posting your info about 4-H Clubs in your area and make this post a resource for contact information.

We actually tried to donate several Minis to the local Ag down here and the teacher didn't want them. Seems they aren't "real" horses. *sigh*

Our Ag Science school in town used to have a mini and we would have given them a second one except theirs was a stallion and ours was a mare. Then the stallion died from complications following his castration. They are building an addition on the school to house more animals, so I imagine they will get more minis soon. They don't have a problem thinking minis aren't "real horses"! The students have been to our farm a few times too.

We actually tried to donate several Minis to the local Ag down here and the teacher didn't want them. Seems they aren't "real" horses. *sigh*
I'm pretty sure that is the type of response I'd get around here.
default_no.gif

Minis in 4-H have been quite popular for around 10 years or more in Washington.

A friend of mine did a lot of the work, with the state program, to get the program underway

and it's very successful.

I think some of the draw to the minis is that we live in an age where many adults/parents have grown

up with little to no experience with large farm animals, including horses.

If you are blessed with a child that is horse crazy, minis are a great introduction the the equine world,

way less intimidating for parents, too, as their support their child's activity.

So happy to see the program is growing in popularity and successes.

As 4-H leaders past and present know, it's easy to get kids into the program, not always so easy to get

the parents on board when it's something they have not had an interest in themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in NH we have a few mini's in 4H. I'm a leader in Cheshire County and my club has 10 mini's this year.

Latest posts

Back