minimal sabino?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choklitbean

Reaction score
She called my mare a chestnut, however she has lacing, roaning and a single small spot on her shoulder. She also has "brush strokes" on either side of her tail head, however the photo didn't show it clearly.

roaning around her strip (no chin spot though)

betterroaningonface.jpg

lacing down her back

lacing.jpg

small shoulder spot (may be part of lacing but seems a bit off)

shoulderspot.jpg

silver dollar sized roan spots on her flanks that spray outward (although thinly)

flankroaning2.jpg

She also has a white udder area instead of the lighter blonde I'm used to seeing as well as white hairs very lightly sprayed throughout her coat (not enough to notice at a glance though). So would this make her a minimal sabino? She has no socks or stockings.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I would say from the face marking alone, Yes. The way the blaze tails off to one side is typical. You can see how it "tried" to go onto the bottom lip but sort of ran out of steam!!!

Sabinos do tend to get these "polka dot" markings
laugh.gif
Back & belly seem to be favorite areas, but I have one who's getting them on her flanks and also heavy roaning. At the rate she's going, she'll be a different color in a year or two
new_shocked.gif
Also, NO grey in her background, either side.

Thanks!

Sabinos do tend to get these "polka dot" markings  Back & belly seem to be favorite areas, but I have one who's getting them on her flanks and also heavy roaning. At the rate she's going, she'll be a different color in a year or two  Also, NO grey in her background, either side.
Oh! So then the roaning can increase! The colouring in these little guys truly is an adventure isn't it.
smile.gif

I asked this in a different post, but is it possible that the only sign of sabino is roaning? Or do they always have some other markings as well?

Yes, it is possible that a very minimal Sabino shows only roaning. Also, unlike a true Roan, Sabino roaning can get heavier with age.

Okay, so this is what is on Chinook. It's only on his forehead, down his neck and on his ribcage. It's in blotches. His face was dark all summer (right how he has a chocolate milk sheen over his muzzle up his face and over his cheeks but I'm assuming that's part of the silver dapple (?) ).

This is part of what he was this summer, unfortunatly his winter coat isn't showing as much of the roaning down his neck and into his body.

roaningonChinook.jpg

I couldn't find a classification for it in any of the colour patterns and he doesn't show the typical greying pattern on his head. Any suggestions on what this is?

Oh, just on the off chance anybody might be wondering if the colour of his coat might affect my choice to geld him - it won't.
smile.gif
I'm strongly opposed to breeding for colour.

I went to see a herd of horses not long ago. It was really sad. The owner obviously loved them, however she had no idea that half of them were dwarves, to her they were just pretty colours and fun to reproduce and see what she got.

Yes, sabino roaning definitely gets heavier with age. Kody only had a little when I got him as a four year old last year. It seemed to disappear in his winter coat but was there again in the spring when I clipped him, along with some Bend Or spots I had not seen before. THOSE have multiplied like dust bunnies and darkened until he looks like he's been smudged with face grease all over, and the roaning has taken off like crazy! We figure he'll be white by the time he's 15 at this rate.
laugh.gif

His only white marking is a very roany disconnected strip down his face.

Leia

Sabino roaning doesn't always increase with age. Most of the Sabinos I've had never roaned any more than what they had at age 1.

Moonie is heavy Sabino...but he looked exactly the same as a weanling. His color did not lighten any more. His daughters did the same thing....and my CockRobin daughter never roaned any more than what she already had at a year old.

Dona , I wonder if the Pinto pattern inhibits or affects the roaning in any way?? Maybe it encourages it to exhibit more quickly?? All the horses we have discussed so far are basically solid- the Sabino "roans" that I have had get progressively more "roany" have been solid- thay have also started off with no white hairs at all and then got a smattering and eventually evened up around four years old - none could have been mistaken for true Roans, and the white hairs were never heavy. Just a thought.

I've had the "solid" Sabinos too, Rabbit. None have start out roaned at birth....usually could see the roan hairs starting by 2 or 3 months. And yes, they do gradually get more & more roaning as they age....up to a point. They won't continue getting lighter & lighter their whole lives. (like a true gray) That was the point I was trying to make.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back