Miniatures make big news at local farm show!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope no one gets upset with this. I believe this is new event at the Pennsylvania Farm Show - local to me as I only live 1.5 hrs away. I thought I would share this with all my fellow mini horse lovers. Who says miniatures can't pull like the big draft horses do?! Just because they are little doesn't mean that they don't have the heart!

You have to watch the short commercial first then the video starts.

http://www.bing.com/videos/browse?mkt=en-us&vid=1cd2aa68-e7e2-4622-9c43-4051c196f630&from=sharepermalink&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:

I think I have a couple here that have the build to pull and would make a great match team in size and style. I might have to look into this. I hope you enjoy the video!

Becky

Sure they can do what big horses do-on their level. It's like weight lifting for people I guess. I have seen draft horses, mules and ponies doing the pulls. Hopefully anyone doing it (with any animal) realizes that they need to be conditioned and muscled for this kind of things (plus training). It's like anything else-and I suppose there will be some few out that will do it the wrong way (sure hope not for the animals sakes). It is another venue for the minis though.

Watching the horses struggle and fall to the ground, that's a good sport? No thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my sport, no matter if it is with horses big or small. But I am happy to see minis getting more "good" publicity.
default_smile.png

It wouldn't be for us either, actually. With other equine "sports" you have heard more about problems, injuries involved, etc.-this is a relatively unknown area to us. The Drafts are so big it doesn't seem as bad as watching the minis or ponies struggle; but the Drafts are pulling their area of weight-so it must be just as tortureous for them at top weights too.
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
Mmmmm-yeah, not for me either.
default_thumbdown.gif

I do not understand. I have never enjoyed watching any pulling events be it big or little equines or dogs. I just can not bare to watch. When an animal falls to its knees it is just too much. Leave that event to the tractors.... (even they break) Debbie G

Watching the horses struggle and fall to the ground, that's a good sport? No thank you.
I have to agree with Marty here- they pull until they have such a heavy load they cannot move it- and that is a "sport"??????

No thank you, I shall stick to my little, lightweight cart, I ahve NO desire whatsoever to watch my horse break his heart trying to please me.

Do they realise they could actually kill these animals?

Do they even care?

Fantastic video, have watched and even once participated in horse/pony pulls, the littler they are the more heart they seem to have and pound for pound a mini or pony can move a lot more then a full size draft. The teams that actually do farm work at home really get into their work and seem to take great pride in what they do. Much prefer the farm pulls like this though...many nasty things done to the big time competition horses, as in any other breed some will do anything to win!

I have to agree with Marty here- they pull until they have such a heavy load they cannot move it- and that is a "sport"??????

No thank you, I shall stick to my little, lightweight cart, I ahve NO desire whatsoever to watch my horse break his heart trying to please me.

Do they realise they could actually kill these animals?

Do they even care?
i agree with RF ..they do try to please and would put themselves at harm trying , Im afraid its not for me either , I really didnt enjoy watching that at all :-(

We had a 4-H meeting this past Tues. and the extention leader was there, she said she attended and thought of us and our minis. She said they pulled their heart out just like the big guys. I try to go to the big horse pull at the fair, they are awesome. It's not for me though, I'll leave that to the big guys.

i honestly tried to watch the video but every 2 seconds it would buffer.

i have never been interested in the horse pulling, i prefer all the other awesome stuff the minis can do!!
default_smile.png

I couldnt bare to watch it all...so sad...pull untill to fall down.. What kind of sport is that....poor horses...sorry not for me at all.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I think this is totally awesome! Of course, I was also a competitive runner at one time in my life and have run myself to the point where my heart felt like it was about to burst, or my lungs were on fire, but it was all for the adrenaline. My personal belief is the horses also get that rush and love it too - they have the heart to keep them going and probably have more fun than just being a pasture ornament. I have seen my horses fall over themselves running in the pasture, and I think they risk about the same amount of injury just being a horse as they do in the ring, no matter what sport. I don't think these competitions are nearly as dangerous as racing and driving. Driving can be very dangerous - a spooked horse attached to a cart? And how many times have horses broken their leg on the race track? At least here, the horses only fall a short distance when they do, and it's at a stand-still speed, which means the horse can be stopped before further injuring themselves and there is a better outcome for recovery.

It's just my opinion, and you can disagree - I don't mind. But when I look at my horses, I see some tough animals! I don't think they'd mind skinning their knees. They'll get right back up like nothing happened
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back