Miniature Pinscher

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Min Pin pup or adopting ( still up in the air on which option i would like to go with )....but I would love to hear from owners / breeders and general lovers some about the dog, their Min Pin dogs. How are they to train, travel, own ext.

I've spent countless hours reading up the last couple days, as well as emailing some breeders and have a phone conversation set up for this evening with a breeder for a Q & A session.

Pictures are great too.....

(Note - I lost my dear Sassy this past week, a 5 yr old shih tzu, and am looking to fill the gap in my heart. I always found the min pin breed to be to my liking from what I could see, but Sassy was always a 'lone wolf' and her preference was to be the lone dog in the house, so I never got to look into another dog while we had Sass)..

Thank you
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

I dearly love min pins, I had two of them in my life. I did obedience and tracking with one, the other died last year at the age of 18, the other at 10 due to complications from diabetes. My older girl didn't like strangers and really never liked anyone except my husband. Both had mild epilepsy although they were not related. They had fly catching seizures from time to time and those seizures ended the show career of my one dog. The min pin is not an easy breed, they are "big" dogs and are fearless and can be quite the little barker. They are like living with cartoon characters, they run on your walls. I never met one that was laid back. So if living with a high energy breed is what you want, they are quite portable and easy on coat maintenance. You can never tire one out. I tracked with my one girl and she could keep up with the big dogs on tracking on distance. I loved my babies, but admit I would never own another one. I now have a tibetan spaniel and powderpuff chinese cresteds a basset and a collie. Love both breeds. PS, you can't beat the shih tu breed either.. Don't let what happened to your baby scare you off that breed. They are awesome and easy to train. Best wishes.

PS. my min pins were chocolate and black and tan in color. I choose them because I was into dobes at the time and wanted a small dog that looked like a dobe. They are nothing like a dobe. LOL, could whip the pants off any dobe. My smallest girl that lived to be 18 thought nothing of going up to a 90 lb rottie during a handling class and she pipped him right on the nose. She weighed 1 lb at the time. I knew I was in big trouble. Best wishes. I can't wait to see what you pick, be sure to take photos and share!!! Adair

Never have owned one but whatever you pick, I am excited to see and hear about your new baby! It's the right thing to do
default_cheekkiss.gif

So sorry to hear about Sassy, Leeana. They do leave a big hole in the heart, don't they.

Never owned a Min Pin, but been around a few. As shorthorsemom said, they are extremely high energy. Need to be kept busy. Need obedience training. Known for being barkers. Good watchdogs. Some say they are difficult to house-break. Many little dogs are but it can be done. The trick is, to never let them get started in the first place. Sometimes it's easy to miss toy dogs, when they are peeing in the house.

If you are up to it, I think Min Pins are a fun breed. I imagine there are a lot in rescue.

Lizzie

Got a min pin, and chihuahua mix . Foster Lincoln , and he is a little pistol !!! I love him to death . They dont like strangers or kids , they love their mom . They are true to their first love , being you especially if you sleep with them , i highly suggest cuddeling with a min pin... those scars and gashes in your heart will fill in fast . They can be left at home provided you give them plenty of blankets to snuggle up in , as they get cold . They like to be pampared , Foster has his own baby buggy that he likes to sleep in while i am on the computer, or working , but as I said they dont like strangers , and they dont like strangers around their mom . Foster will protect me with his life , they need disapline , and training as they are very smart.Warning , they do bark .

IMG_1442.JPG

Have to add that there are a lot of Chihuahuas that need adopting ..... are you on face book ? If you want me to help you find a sweet little doggie IM me : )

I used to a professional dog show handler in my earlier life. We bred and show GSD and my oldest son showed a Champion Pembroke Corgie. We showed all breeds except the toys, hounds and most of the terriers. I had always wanted to show a MIn Pin or own one and I finally have 2 and love them both but totally different in attitude.

About 5 years ago there was a lady at the AMHR Nationals that had 3 litters of Min Pins for sale and I bought Little Man who was 8 weeks old. I love him to death. He did have to have the head of his left rear leg removed either from a bad fall in the kitchen or LCP (which Min Pin can be prone to) but it has not slowed him down--he does hold his leg up every now and again and I just remind him to put it down. He is now an extremely chubby (15 pounds) and has trouble jumping up on the chair with me--he is my best bud.

I also have a mini smooth fox terrier (who is definitely ALL TERRIER) and then I adopted two little girls from the local pound. One is a chi chi/daschund mix and the other is an "uncut" (Natural ears and tail) Min Pin and she is a bit of a challenge.

Trinket loves to play with the others but then she gets snappy and a little agressive when playing. When I picked her up out of the pen at the shelter she was just growling and grumbling but I picked her up anyway--I think mostly defensive. She loves to sleep under the cover at my feet and of a morning when you go to get her up she is like a grippy teenager--grumbles and growls. Have to take her to the vet for nail trims as she acts like she will eat you alive--but I have no one to hold her while I trim them and she is definitely NOT friendly towards strangers--whereas Little Man is and would show you a chair to sit in and then curl up on your lap for a long nap.

I keep saying I'm going to have her read by Bonnie Fogg as I think a lot of her gruff and growl is defensive in nature--played with too roughly and teased as a young puppy--the folks at the pound said someone really took care of her as she had been spayed and was in good condition when the found her as a stray--got out somehow--may have been a good thing.

Little Man and Trinket are somewhat opposites--Little Man loves to cuddle and Trinket will sit on you lap on her terms. He would show someone the silver and she would not let anyone past the front door. You give all of them "COOKIES" and look out defenses come up on all of them--ITS MY COOKIE GO AWAY!!!--Trinket off to the bathroom, Windy (Fox Terrier) to the kitchen rug, Kelly (chi chi/mix) to the living room couch and Little Man in my chair. Trinket loves to hord hers so when everyone is done they try and go steal hers--not going to happen, everyone should look out.

As with any dog it is in the way they were raised as young puppies--loving home, great companions with loving attitudes--abusive or rough house home can be a little agressive. Puppies are so impressable -- humans become their surragent mothers when they leave home and what and how you train them makes up their attitude--socialize, socialize, play and happy home--happy attitude. Unsoicalized, locked in crates, or put on a chain outside without companionship or as punishment, abusive home--bad attitude.

Better get off my professional handler soapbox. I'm a TRUE BELIVER in getting puppies out among people, the more exposure the more rounded the dog will be as an adult.

REMEMBER, buy from a reputable breeder who will give you a written guarantee on your new family member OR ADOPT a wonderful pet from your local shelter--there are too many looking for great homes.

Min Pins make me think of that toy called the super ball. It used to BOUNCE endlessly, boing, boing, boing...............

I don't post here much but I have a Min Pin that's 10 yrs old.Love of my life.He's not nippy or barky. Loves everyone,doesn't know a stranger.He was 6 weeks old when I got him. But I have 3 other dogsthat I dopted from the humane society and they are really good dogs also.A boxer mix,a muttley,and a ChiWeenie. All are wonderful dogs. Don't count on them being leash trained though,none of mine were.Oh and he's a laid back little guy,he gives hugs on command! Here's a pic of Mic with Santa.

micandsanta4.jpg

My min pin is the love of my life, and I would have a dozen more if they would be like her. She was super easy to house train, never a mess, she LOVES people, but I socialized her like crazy as a pup...that is of utmost importance, she is a pistol, not afraid of a thing, and loves helping out in the barn. the only time she barks is when someone comes to the door, but that stops as soon as they come in because she loves company, and there is one dog in the neighbourhood that she and my big dog have a dislike for, so you can bet I know when it is walking by. ALWAYS ready for a walk, and her most favourite thing EVER, is chasing snowballs...I daren't even say the word unless I am ready to go out to play. Yet...she is a couch potato, and will snuggle under her blankie all day. LOL!

100_2676.JPG100_2647.JPGAEF_4718.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe its the mix , Chi and pin . My doggie comes to work with us , and is surrounded by people all day long . We did professional training , as its the law here when you get a dog . He is with us and meeting people 24 x7 . some dogs are just more protective of their homes I guess . No one has ever layed a hand on him , but he is ultra small . Once outside of his home and work place , he is awesome . I travel all over with him , by bus , train , car and airplane ... he just is a biter , he is very cute , and people want to pet him , but he wants to be the one that comes to the person first , most people dont understand extra small dogs are special . I assure you I wouldnt be buying dress shirts , clothes , buggys , and taking my doggie on vacation with me if I were an abuser ; ) some small dogs are just not as sociable as the other breeds. I also have a Bison Frese .... loves everyone ...

Just a thought or two... I have been training dogs most of my life. I love dogs, my new motto for new dogs, is simple, I pick the dog not the breed. I also do not start with tiny puppies any more. I have much better luck picking an older puppy, maybe a breeder left over, or a rescue dog... too many sweet older dogs and puppies need adopting. You can try looking on petfinder for some ideas. you can plug in dog size and zip code and browse the local rescue associations. My greatest dogs "found me". My min pins were highly trained and socialized to the max and they still didn't like strangers. They were the greatest little snuggle bunnies and I love them with natural ears. I would agree with the difficulty to housebreak comment. My one dog could jump so high that she could leap into your arms from the floor without you bending over, She also attacked the vacuum cleaner with passion and dust mops were toast. She hated cleaning as much as I do.. haha. LOL, she sure could make me laugh. Nothing could make her stop barking though, it was who she was. She barked like breathing. Puppy and dog shopping can be so much fun... best wishes on your search... who knows, maybe one will find you... A week after I said I would never live with a hound.. a basset showed up at my door. Now, talk about barking..... but personality plus and sweet as the dickens and housebroken... great farm walker. My slobber buddy. Adair

I agree with short horse mom ...any dog that lands in your lap you will love , and you will love it regardless of its behavior problems , like barking , chewing , licking , pooping in your slipper , because it will be yours and it will love you as much as you love it !

I posted on your other thread about our Min Pins, but here are pics of our 2...I love the breed! They are great dogs!

Gunner and Chanel (red collar)
default_wub.png

Chanel.jpg

Photo349.jpg

Oh my gosh Linda!!!!
default_wub.png
LOVE THEM!!!

We went yesterday to look at the min pin at our local humane society that I had fallen in love with earlier in the week (tuesday) when I went to see him. He was very energetic (I know this is part of the breed
default_smile.png
), and I was worried when I sent to see him myself that he would be to much for my parents (both are in 80's, great health) but I was worried that he would be to much for them. So yesterday took mom and dad to go see him, and they were put off by his energy level. They want something a bit more calm, which was what I had pictured. They want something just like my Sass who we lost, calm and loving and loyal, they want something that looks and acts just like Sassy. I didn't think it would be fair to bring home a dog that my parents would resent, not fair to the dog or myself or my parents as well...

Thank you everyone, I will at one point own a min pin, just will have to wait some time
default_smile.png
. I personally would love a min pin, its a breed that I love...the energy, the look...but what I want and my parents will accept are two different things. What you want is not always what you get, but I can love anything....

I did contact the breeder we got Sassy from, and he has a litter of pups 6wks old FULL siblings to my sassy, will be ready to go on the 21st and he is giving me pick of the litter
default_wub.png
. I think that is the path we are going to take......

I know that Lizzie, but this is the closest thing that my parents will accept as they feel like we are "replacing" Sassy, they loved her very much.

I know that Jill
default_wub.png
. A week ago I would have said that I could never look at another Shih Tzu without crynig every agian..(although my sister who lives next door has 7)...but I think now that my heart has healed some, its the route we shall be taking
default_smile.png
default_wub.png

I think I am going to get a male, mostly because I all the time (atleast 1,001 times a day) called Sass my "Baby Girl", "Girlie Girl" and "Girlie Wirlie" ext...and those are names I would be tempted to call a female puppy if I had one and I don't think I could ever ever get use that! I think, "Baby Boy" will be an easier pet name / nic name, If that makes sense? Yes, I am very sentimental
default_smile.png

That, and I already have an actual name picked out that I would like to use and it is a "boy" name.....but I want to meet the puppy first and see if it clicks
default_smile.png

Thanks Leeana! I love my furkids!!
default_wub.png

I can't say much about Chanel since we got her as a blind senior dog, but I've had Gunner since he was an older pup and he was never super energetic...the only time he "boings" (lol) is when it's time to eat...lol He was mostly a couch potato, except when there was another dog to play with, he would play with it/them.

We have four dogs now and will be getting a 5th in a few months...thought about another Min Pin, but when Belinda Bagby posted pics of her Mini Aussies, I knew I just had to have one! LOL! So, here we go again with having another puppy in the house soon!

Sounds like you found a future furchild...that is awesome that it will be a sibling to your Sassy! I think you will be happy knowing that and I bet they were share some of the same personality traits. Can't wait to see pics after you get your new pup!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back