Miniature Market

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RELIC - Those are beautiful horses, I would proudly buy one from you at reduced prices or not!!! Where are you located?

l don't find it's a waste of my time and resources to produce horses that sell for $1000 or less. l also don't feel we produce horses that are in the toliet though l've heard some say we do. We have our share of real pets for various reasons beyound our control like everyone else we give away to good homes or only ask 100/200 for. l've been told and called many things by other breeders but what business is it of there's to tell me what l should breed for when l already found l enjoy what l do produce. We are and always well be a backyard breeder if thats what you want to call it...we or rather l enjoy the title as l'm not trying to be better or outdo some else and l sure in the heck don't have visions of making money or the need to go far in the ring. For all you's that complain so much about low prices just make sure YOU have the best and the rest should take care of itself if that's the case. We enjoy the mini for what they are have our fools each year to love on what more can you ask when thats what gives satisfaction. We are not ashamed of raising pets we take to shows and sell for next to nothing... beauty is in the eye money is in the mind. Go ahead flame l'm out of the closet and not ashamed to admit l AM A HAPPY BACKYARD BREEDER and have no shame. Here is what you get for $1000 or less these were stallions at the time of sale now geldings mares and fillies are priced the same.

cr03-06-1a.jpg

beezly.jpg

I wish more backyard breeders bred the quality of horse you are displaying :aktion033: They are really nice
default_yes.gif
:

I have to agree with what someone said about big farms/ names not necessarily producing quality. I know of three individuals not in the miniature horse industry anymore, who would buy pedigree, didn't matter a darn what the horse looked like :lol: But; I bought him/ her from so & so, he or she is by so & so. What they didn't realize is even though they paid high dollar for their horses, they were the big farms culls. They could have looked around and gone to a small breeder or as Relic refers to herself, a backyard breeder, and gotten three times the quality for much less price. I believe the term backyard breeder has a negative image attached to it as people tend to visualize a herd of nasty looking animals thrown out together in a field or paddock to reproduce at will, such as some puppy mill type images we've all seen. I guess it is all in how a person interprets the words.

I believe that a person who knows good conformation and breeds to produce good conformation really can't go wrong.

Relic, obviously you are the type of backyard breeder which is an asset to the breed, beautifull stock
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: :aktion033: coming out of the closet and admitting you havn't the very best in names but likeing what you do have and breed is nice to know l am sure theres many more backyarders with the same intention for the enjoyment of having the minatures without worrying about how much money you can get nothing on earth is perfect and it should not be the only goal to have perfect and only see dollars.

Not everyone is out for quality. Like someone said, only 10% of minis are shown, therefore there is still 90% that are normal horses. I don't think that everyone wants a top notch horse, or one that is going to win at shows. It seems like the horse owners I know, aren't very picky about the horses they have, but love them anyways. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not in how much the horse is worth. Do you know how many mutt dogs there are out there, but they still find wonderful homes because people who want a "dog" has them? Pedigree isn't everything to everyone!!! It amazes me how most of the people on this forum look down on the minis that aren't champion material.

I
I think for me anyway there is a HUGE difference- I realize not everyone shows I realize not everyone cares about champion lines. I realize there are plenty of mutts out there in wonderful homes. HOwever I also realize how many both mutt and purebred dogs are put down daily the numbers are staggering. I have adopted several from the pound but the numbers are there simply cause someone wanted to have some cute puppies with really not alot of thought into the future lives of them. NOt alot of thought into the huge numbers being killed daily.

I have great respect for every mini owner show or no show however I still think and stand behind not every mini should be bred simply cause it is well loved. Not every mini needs to see the show ring -I am just as happy when one of my foals ends up in a loving home as someones best friend but that doesnt mean they should all be bred.

I still say bottom line at this point our breed is a breed being bred purely to breed and it will continue to be the downfall of the breed.

Saying I am in this for the money HA now there is a joke, my vet bills alone in one year usually are double or triple what I make on the few foals I sell a year and remember that isnt including feed, farrier, vaccines not to mention time and days on end staying home watching mares. I do this for one reason simply I love my horses. I love seeing my horses going to wonderful new homes be it a show home or not. I dont price my babies sky high I price them at what I think is a fair price. What I would pay for them . Very few make money at this by the time you figure in daily maintence cost, advertising, showing, all the other things there is no doubt we all love our horses show horses or not. This isnt a us vs them thing.. it is trying to really truly get togther and do the best for our breed so they cant be - looked at the same was as all the wonderful dogs and cats - well bred or not with tons of loves to give being killed daily for lack of good long term homes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back