Miniature mare that is pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going by the book it doesn't look like there's much going on there but that doesn't mean there isn't. How sure are you about her breed date? Keep watching closely, they can surprise you.

There has been no changes at all in this pregnant mare. Especially her udder it's stayed the same for idk how long.

Have you seen or felt foal movement lately?

A little bit. No signs of heat. But her belly seems to be getting bigger down below.

Attachments

• 20210816_001241.jpg
    20210816_001241.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 9
That does look like she has more down below and she doesn't look like she's been putting a lot of weight on so I don't think a fat belly. Foal watch is one of the worst things to do. All I can say is keep watching her, maybe one of the pros can give you something better. Can you get anything to pH test from her udder?

That does look like she has more down below and she doesn't look like she's been putting a lot of weight on so I don't think a fat belly. Foal watch is one of the worst things to do. All I can say is keep watching her, maybe one of the pros can give you something better. Can you get anything to pH test from her udder?

Yes it is... and no I can't. She's been pawing ALOT lately too.

You have all my sympathy.
Any signs that she isn't completely comfortable, like pawing, is a good thing, she could be close. Really uncomfortable and you need to make sure it's not colic, but I'm sure you know that. Hang in there!

This mare still has no signs. What is the best thing to do to see if she is actually pregnant or not. It's getting really irritating. how much does it cost to preg check.

Hi Arianna! Welcome to the club...foal watch club that is! I know very little but we did have our first foal April 22nd. I waited all year basically for the foal ( I was WAY off!). I have another one due soon-ish?! Don't worry about a pregnancy diagnosis, I know you will, but don't let that stress you out. My vet came and did a palpation on my mini mare but she's a bit bigger. He said she was 3 months along only. Interestingly enough, then the foal came exactly 3 months early! The one that is pregnant now he said wasn't even pregnant, so......Let's just say it doesn't appear to be an exact science. I did a urine test with her and it said minimally pregnant two weeks ago. So it could be the hormones are backing off a bit. Sometimes I think it might be better NOT knowing when bred exactly because the mares just don't read the book anyway. Your girl has more udder than mine and mine has had several babies I'm told and previous owner never noticed her characteristics before foaling. Since mine may or may not develop and udder prior to foaling, I'm watching stomach shape and elongation of the vulva. The only way I can explain it is to get some photos daily by gently pulling tail to the side. If it looks wrinkled or scrunched up, there's time. My other mare only really developed an obvious udder just 3 days prior. Her belly "v'd" only the day before. My first mare kept her tail lifted a bit for a couple of weeks prior as well. She also scratched her bum so much she shredded much of her tail hair on top and wore a spot on her bum. Biting at flanks is a sign too, but they do that for some time. On camera I did see her and now this one really stretch out trying to get comfortable too (like a "down dog" in yoga I think they call it). The missing hair I just don't know. Could be from rubbing, mites, mange, allergy, ringworm, shedding from the heat, and probably a bunch of other things. Have your foaling kit ready to go early just in case. Read what you can on the birthing process and also what can go wrong just in case. Keep us updated! Glad to know there's another person to add to the crazy world of foal watch. All the folks here have so much experience and information and are so good about helping. Here are pics from my first mare, two days before foaling. The black mare is due soon and this was taken the other day. So there looks can vary. Unfortunately I can't get the V belly photo loaded onto here, but this shows how much their looks can vary!20210403_145636 (1).jpgIMG_0588.jpg

Hi Arianna! Welcome to the club...foal watch club that is! I know very little but we did have our first foal April 22nd. I waited all year basically for the foal ( I was WAY off!). I have another one due soon-ish?! Don't worry about a pregnancy diagnosis, I know you will, but don't let that stress you out. My vet came and did a palpation on my mini mare but she's a bit bigger. He said she was 3 months along only. Interestingly enough, then the foal came exactly 3 months early! The one that is pregnant now he said wasn't even pregnant, so......Let's just say it doesn't appear to be an exact science. I did a urine test with her and it said minimally pregnant two weeks ago. So it could be the hormones are backing off a bit. Sometimes I think it might be better NOT knowing when bred exactly because the mares just don't read the book anyway. Your girl has more udder than mine and mine has had several babies I'm told and previous owner never noticed her characteristics before foaling. Since mine may or may not develop and udder prior to foaling, I'm watching stomach shape and elongation of the vulva. The only way I can explain it is to get some photos daily by gently pulling tail to the side. If it looks wrinkled or scrunched up, there's time. My other mare only really developed an obvious udder just 3 days prior. Her belly "v'd" only the day before. My first mare kept her tail lifted a bit for a couple of weeks prior as well. She also scratched her bum so much she shredded much of her tail hair on top and wore a spot on her bum. Biting at flanks is a sign too, but they do that for some time. On camera I did see her and now this one really stretch out trying to get comfortable too (like a "down dog" in yoga I think they call it). The missing hair I just don't know. Could be from rubbing, mites, mange, allergy, ringworm, shedding from the heat, and probably a bunch of other things. Have your foaling kit ready to go early just in case. Read what you can on the birthing process and also what can go wrong just in case. Keep us updated! Glad to know there's another person to add to the crazy world of foal watch. All the folks here have so much experience and information and are so good about helping. Here are pics from my first mare, two days before foaling. The black mare is due soon and this was taken the other day. So there looks can vary. Unfortunately I can't get the V belly photo loaded onto here, but this shows how much their looks can vary!View attachment 44405View attachment 44406

Thank you so much for your advice!!! This mare I have she's been pawing alot lately and her belly underneath seemed to be getting lower but nothing like a v

Might be time to get the vet out to see if she is still carrying ? Im not sure of the costs there , but they can take some blood to determine if she is is pregnant.

Ill be really honest ( and im not trying to dampen your spirit) but to me she doesn't look pregnant. I do hope she is for you though :)

My mare 2 days ago. She's getting big in her belly and she doesn't get alot of food so it's probably not hay belly??

Attachments

• 20210905_151958.jpg
    20210905_151958.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210905_151958.jpg
    20210905_151958.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210905_152015(0).jpg
    20210905_152015(0).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 4
Good luck! Fingers crossed that she is pregnant and very close!!

Latest posts

Back