Miniature mare that is pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arianna

Reaction score
I have this mini mare I got from someone and she's bred. This is her second foal. When we got her I saw alot of foal movement and she was round, and she's supposed to be due any day now. She hasnt shown any signs of heat. And to me her udder doesn't seem to be getting big at all. And her belly isn't huge in photos but when you look at her from the back she looks bigger but nothing huge, Here are a few pictures.
-Seems to be foal movement on bottom of her belly
- She has soft muscles on her hind
-First udder picture was June 22nd and the second one is June 30th
-Is she carrying her baby up high?
-How far along is she?
-What is the pocket in front of her udder?
Please tell me your guys thoughts. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210612_170458.jpg
    20210612_170458.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210622_161059.jpg
    20210622_161059.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210630_163516.jpg
    20210630_163516.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
First, it seems pretty common for the dates to be wrong. Was she out with the stud for a few months? Unless they are hand bred and don't see the stud other than that it can be really hard to know the breed date. Can you get a picture of her from behind a few feet back down at her level? The side picture doesn't look like she has dropped at all and her udder hasn't really started yet. Going by the book that would put her at 'has a while to go yet'. That normally means at least another month. The pocket in front of her udder is edema. It's normal for it to be there until after she foals. Mares also get a fat deposit there when they are over weight but she looks good that way. It's great that you've seen foal movement. She could be carrying up high, it's more common in maidens but I have one who is not close to being a maiden who does it. The people are great here, ask any questions you have, none are stupid. There is great information pinned at the top of the pregnant mare page. Good luck and please keep us posted.

First, it seems pretty common for the dates to be wrong. Was she out with the stud for a few months? Unless they are hand bred and don't see the stud other than that it can be really hard to know the breed date. Can you get a picture of her from behind a few feet back down at her level? The side picture doesn't look like she has dropped at all and her udder hasn't really started yet. Going by the book that would put her at 'has a while to go yet'. That normally means at least another month. The pocket in front of her udder is edema. It's normal for it to be there until after she foals. Mares also get a fat deposit there when they are over weight but she looks good that way. It's great that you've seen foal movement. She could be carrying up high, it's more common in maidens but I have one who is not close to being a maiden who does it. The people are great here, ask any questions you have, none are stupid. There is great information pinned at the top of the pregnant mare page. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Yes she was out with the stud for at least 4 months. And thank you with your honesty and helping me out! Greatly appreciated😊

I took a new udder pic today, and there looks like her udder gotten a little bit larger. What do you all think?
20210608_155834.jpg
From June 8th
20210701_160623.jpg
This is July 1st

It looks like there could be a bit more there. Will she let you feel? I find that works better than looking in the beginning before they start to get a lot.

It looks like there could be a bit more there. Will she let you feel? I find that works better than looking in the beginning before they start to get a lot.
Yes she'll let me feel. What do I have to feel for?

You're just trying to feel if her udder is filling up more. It's normal to feel a bit more in the mornings before she's moving around during the day.You can also get pool test strips and use a drop of fluid if she has any yet to see where her pH is. Any pool strip that tests for pH will work. She might not have anything you can get yet and it probably won't give you a low reading till she gets closer but it will give you something to check. She will probably be at 8 or 9 for now. When she starts dropping she's getting closer, when she gets to 6 she's ready to pop anytime.

You're just trying to feel if her udder is filling up more. It's normal to feel a bit more in the mornings before she's moving around during the day.You can also get pool test strips and use a drop of fluid if she has any yet to see where her pH is. Any pool strip that tests for pH will work. She might not have anything you can get yet and it probably won't give you a low reading till she gets closer but it will give you something to check. She will probably be at 8 or 9 for now. When she starts dropping she's getting closer, when she gets to 6 she's ready to pop anytime.

Her udder feels like it's getting a little hard

Welcome to the forum :)

I agree with the information Taz has given you. When your taking photos next can you take one standing well back , looking at her rear. This will give us an indication of how the foal is currently positioned. As mares get closer to foaling , there's much less room inside, making it really uncomfortable for the mare. So they rub, roll and roll some more until the foal is lined up for delivery.

Im going to say you have a little while to go yet. :)

Normally that's positioning the foal.

Why is she now showing signs of heat even though I know she bred. She's done this a few times but doesn't last long I don't think.

Last edited:
Mares don't generally come into heat if they are pregnant. One of my big mares will "Show off" to her gelding friend next door , but she doesn't come into heat.

Do you have an idea of when she was bred ?

Mares don't generally come into heat if they are pregnant. One of my big mares will "Show off" to her gelding friend next door , but she doesn't come into heat.

Do you have an idea of when she was bred ?
Well I think she trys to tease him or show off. I don't know.

Good. Keep checking for more changes.You can also take a picture once a week to maybe see anything happening.

Seems like her belly is going crazy, I know it's not her breathing because she wasn't flaring her nostrils or anything.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1885817693.mp4
    18.7 MB

Latest posts

Back