Miniature Mangers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
After gathering my mares from the summer breeding pens, all into the big herd for the winter, seeing them gobble down a big 1600 pound bale of hay in a few days, I decided things had to change. I have the best hay this yr, it looks so good that I almost want to eat it myself and I guess, the horses think so too. But this is what I did, I have a few of the regular mangers but needed more. First I took my big bale feeders apart in the 3 parts that they hook together in and I put those parts up along a fence to toss hay in to. Here it is.

horsemangeralso.jpg

Then I had Nate cut a hog panel in half, the long way and I used them and posts to put up along another fence.

HorseManger05.jpg

And another view

horsemangertoo.jpg

I still threw a few piles around until I figure out how much to feed in this manner, I just don't want the underdogs to starve either. So until I figure out how much they comfortalby need, I'll spread a little around. Don't laugh at my twine strings, it's my best friend, I don't like using wires and snaps, I like my strings. Just for the heck of it, here's another picture that I found on my computer, just kinda pretty, but I think the lush green pasture days are gone for now.

horsesMay805.jpg

I hope my ideas might help someone else.

Great idea Marnie!

OK! Who is the black pinto mare 4 th from the bottom of the third picture( she is looking at the camera)

Hey Marnie,

What cool ideas!!

I love the pictures especially the ones where it shows them all lined up in an orderly fashion!

It will be interesting to see how much this helps save on your hay supply!!

aktion033.gif
GREAT IDEA, MARNIE!

My husband is home for a couple days before he's off again on another trip.....as soon as he finishes dragging the pastures, I'll show him this! If he doesn't get time, then David and I could manage all but the cutting of hog panels.

This is a great idea, especially during the winter when you need to feed hay to the horses and trying to keep horses in during the process!

Hey, Donna, why don't you share your beet-pulp/grain bucket system you have so there's not risk of being mobbed while passing out grain pans/buckets!

Thanks again, Marnie!

Cindy

I have been racking my feeble brain for something to put hay into so they don't lay in it, pee and poop in it and just plain waste it this year. Now you've got me thinking...I've only got 3 1/2 minis left....brains working..smell the smoke?
wacko.gif
You are SO clever.

Oh Marnie you are so smart, that's a great idea. I just love it when people think outside of the box and that pasture picture is gorgeous.

What a gorgeous colorful herd Marnie. Looks like it will work to me.

Added: they look a little different then when it was pouring down rain LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have two minis; a mare and a stallion, each have their own pens. Here's a picture of the feeder, my husband and I made for the stallion. (We had a major power surge kill our freezer back in December, so I recycled two of the shelves for this project).

This feeder will hold about 2 flakes or so of small square baled hay.

DakotasFeeder.jpg

I have discovered that he will knock it over, so I need to tie it to the fence.

I don't have a picture, but did make a feeder for my mare that hangs on the fence, it holds about 1-2 flakes of small square baled hay.

I like both ideas and the last one I would love to see the one you made to hang on the fence, love the pictures keep em coming.

RnRs Lilnickers said:
I like both ideas and the last one I would love to see the one you made to hang on the fence, love the pictures keep em coming.
461607[/snapback]

This feeder is none to pretty, but you asked for pictures... I made it out of left-overs from the cattle barn my husband made and a piece of mesh fence. If I were to do it again, I would like to use smaller dimension lumber; 2x4s are over kill and make it weigh a ton.

Front view

Mistysfeeder-front.jpg

side view

mistysfeeder-side.jpg

I also need to hang it with something stronger than sisal baling twine. I'll get some cable or chain next time I'm in town. Maybe even some poly rope would work.

Good idea.....and by the way....your new house looks great too!
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back