Miniature maiden mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arianna

Reaction score
I have this mare that is due to have her foal July 8th 2021. Here is a picture of her udder, not much there. I can see foal movement for sure.

-What are the signs if any signs of a maiden mare getting close to foaling?

-Do maidens normally carry their babies longer or earlier from their due date?

-Any more information would help, thank you!20210703_145223(0).jpg

How many days will she be on the 8th? Is that a definite breed date or was she herd bred and they are guessing at the date? Can you get a picture of her from directly behind a few feet back and down at her level, one from the side and one from under her tail with her tail pulled sideways not up? There is a lot of great info pinned at the top of the foaling page and if you google I Am Ranch they have some really good foaling videos and info. Foaling due dates are just a guideline, mares don't really have due dates. You'll be able to get more opinions on how she's coming along with the other pictures, things can change very quickly so keep a good eye on her. Do you have a camera up to watch her at night?

How many days will she be on the 8th? Is that a definite breed date or was she herd bred and they are guessing at the date? Can you get a picture of her from directly behind a few feet back and down at her level, one from the side and one from under her tail with her tail pulled sideways not up? There is a lot of great info pinned at the top of the foaling page and if you google I Am Ranch they have some really good foaling videos and info. Foaling due dates are just a guideline, mares don't really have due dates. You'll be able to get more opinions on how she's coming along with the other pictures, things can change very quickly so keep a good eye on her. Do you have a camera up to watch her at night?

She'll be 326 days on the 8th. And I hand bred her. I'd have to get those pictures for you soon.

I wouldn't worry at all about her not having an udder yet, I have a feeling she doesn't agree with that due date and is going to wait for a while. It's awesome you know her breed date! 330 is an average for minis but they can go much longer.

I wouldn't worry at all about her not having an udder yet, I have a feeling she doesn't agree with that due date and is going to wait for a while. It's awesome you know her breed date! 330 is an average for minis but they can go much longer.

Still nothing. But yesterday I noticed she was biting one of her sides of her belly. Still no udder.

Attachments

• 20210719_195919.jpg
    20210719_195919.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210718_164053(0).jpg
    20210718_164053(0).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
So how do you know when a maiden is gonna foal she's 338 days now.

You dont , thats the AMAZING part of having a pregnant mare. Along with that comes, sleepless nights , toothpicks to hold your eyes up and an endless supply of coffee :)

Have you had the vet confirm she is pregnant ? She should look a lot bigger than what she does in the pics for 338 days along.

Can you grab a photo standing directly behind her ?

You dont , thats the AMAZING part of having a pregnant mare. Along with that comes, sleepless nights , toothpicks to hold your eyes up and an endless supply of coffee :)

Have you had the vet confirm she is pregnant ? She should look a lot bigger than what she does in the pics for 338 days along.

No we haven't.. but she's never came into heat after she was bred and I could see her belly flutter.

From the pic you posted on the 4/7 to this one, there looks like there could be some slight swelling in her nipples, so could be the start of her producing an udder.

My maiden mare is like 358 days in her pregnancy now... no udder development very little... she seems to biting her sides alot lately.

This mare still has no signs. And over a year pregnant. What is the best thing to do to see if she is actually pregnant or not. It's getting really irritating. how much does it cost to preg check.

I don't know what it would cost where you are. An internal ultrasound or palpation is I think the only way to know definitely. Most vets will only do an external ultrasound because of their size. Good luck please let us know how it goes.

Here's a photo of her from behind. Still nothing, hasn't gone into heat at all... so confused.

Attachments

• 20211010_172102.jpg
    20211010_172102.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back