"Miniature horses still allowed to fly as service animals"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/mini...LdVyv0804nEMCdkwPfsL7gkPl8m9tzbs1WfM3Dt6OEk2k

“After reviewing the comments on this issue, we believe that it would be in the public interest and within our discretionary authority to prioritize ensuring that the most commonly recognized service animals (i.e., dogs, cats, and miniature horses) are accepted for transport,” the department's Aug. 8 update stated.

Miniature-Horse-2-iStock.jpg

What do you think about mini horses being on plane service animals? I thought they would be too big.

That is a tough one to answer. I would think you need to buy a "seat" for the service dog or cat, and they could actually sit in that seat on the plane right? Now if you have a Mini Horse as a service animal and you buy a "seat" where does it stand? I kinda think they are too big to fly unless they are kept in another part of the cabin. Just rambling thoughts on my part.

I'm against it. I have had a mini "loose it" in a horse trailer and stick both feet out the side window. After seeing that, and knowing the havoc that can be created, I don't think that they should be allowed to fly. Even if they are trained as service animals, they are still animals and when fear or anxiety kicks in, they are going to respond.
Plus, what happens in very bad turbulence? You can't seat belt them in. Is it fair to them to be flailing around the cabin when things get rough?

ETA: I had a riding instructor years ago who used to help her dad import horses from Germany. It was her job to fly with the horses. On one flight a horse became distraught, thrashing and kicking.
Everything was done that could be done in flight to calm the horse but he became so dangerous that they had to euthanize him mid flight for safety sake. No one knew what set the horse off, he just went beserk. I imagine small horses could react in the same way.

Last edited:
i was thinking that there was not a place for the horse to be and all the people, etc. Seems mean to the horse.

I am personally against it, unless steps are taken on each plane to create a safe space away from the other customers on the flight for the horse, and I also think there should be a height and weight limit to the horse (if that isn't already in place?). The safe space would be like a small covered stall with padding on all sides, and a rubber floor with a thick bed of shavings. The owner could sit in a special seat next to it. That way if turbulence or a accident occurred the horse would be contained and kept as safe as possible for its safety and everyone involved. Otherwise, I see way too many things that could go wrong or cause major issues, especially on international flights.

I am personally against it, unless steps are taken on each plane to create a safe space away from the other customers on the flight for the horse, and I also think there should be a height and weight limit to the horse (if that isn't already in place?). The safe space would be like a small covered stall with padding on all sides, and a rubber floor with a thick bed of shavings. The owner could sit in a special seat next to it. That way if turbulence or a accident occurred the horse would be contained and kept as safe as possible for its safety and everyone involved. Otherwise, I see way too many things that could go wrong or cause major issues, especially on international flights.

I agree with that method of conveying the horse. I can just see a huge mess happening for everyone in a horse in a passenger compartment, or even in roomy package area.

I don’t see any difference between these really small minis (the law states 80-150 lbs I think) and a large-sized service dog. The service is the same and there are serious reasons for having a service mini instead of a service dog: allergies, need for more stability, longer life of horses verses dogs, etc. There are not that many service minis anyway, so the chances of being in a plane with one, much less in an emergency situation with one, is pretty microscopic.

Great points made by all. As far as a dog of equal weight versus a mini being equal, I disagree. It still astounds me how strong these little guys can be. They are cute, but they are livestock. If a disabled person is traveling with a mini, where would any qualified help come from if needed? The flight crew isn't trained to handle this sort of issue. It takes years to become a horsemaster, and they don't fly without vets(with drugs). I think it's unsafe.

Latest posts

Back