Miniature Horse World magazine subscription

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaming of Minis

Reaction score
I wanted to get the Miniature Horse World magazine subscription and I looked to see how much it is. I found the price high and only 6 issues. I don't know if it is what I want because I had gotten the Paint Journal before and it was just ads and no info. Is the Miniature Horse World like the Paint Journal or is it worth it? It would be wonderful if someone could tell me before I buy it.
yes.gif

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Stephanie~

It's worth it to me. You can find useful info on all aspects of the horse business including breeding, care and selection. I advertise in the MHW and have received a great deal of interest on my horses from the ads I run. I get the Journal also but there is no comparison in the quality of the publications.

Very worth it. It is the BEST publication within the industry, right now, IMHO.

There are lots of articles and informative letters, plus the advertising is amazing.

Liz M.

I think that it is absolutely worth it.

I have to agree that for what you get out of it, the price is absurdly high. With the number of ads in it, it should be more self-supporting.
new_shocked.gif

I'm used to more informative magazines like Equus, Practical Horseman, and Dressage Today. IMO the articles in MHW - and the Journal - just don't measure up for the price.
unsure.gif

But, ironically, I DO enjoy looking at the ads and photos!
biggrin.gif

Yes! Absolutely worth it. It has some very educational articles about the breed, health issues, etc.... plus articles about changes within the registry.....then there are always the ads. Many of the ads are of the winners from the latest shows and can be informative to people who aren't actively showing.

MA

if you like to look at ALOT of pictures of minis(that are mostly groomed and in show shape, and absolutly GORGEOUS), and find ALOT of farms! with a little bit of information! then it will DEFENETLY be worth it! I like to look at it and study all the horses comformation and see all the beautifull minis, and look up EVERYONES miniature horse site!! I LOVE the MHW! DEFENETLY worth it IMO!!!!!

But no the whole book is not info on miniature horses, but Guestimating, usually about 10 pages of info, the rest are adds and other stuff that I dont read!!!

-Gage-

The World is pricey but it is a beautiful magazine and the best of any mini magazine. Some nice articles and always the beautiful horses.
wub.gif

=Deaming of Minis,Oct 22 2005, 08:18 PM]I wanted to get the Miniature Horse World magazine subscription and I looked to see how much it is. I found the price high and only 6 issues. I don't know if it is what I want because I had gotten the Paint Journal before and it was just ads and no info. Is the Miniature Horse World like the Paint Journal or is it worth it? It would be wonderful if someone could tell me before I buy it.
yes.gif

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Stephanie~

488447[/snapback]

We've been getting the MHW for a long time and feel it's worth the price.

If you take the time to read all the articles...and there are LOTS of informative articles... it is CHEAP !! You will learn a ton about caring for miniatures, training, feeding, worming, weaning, breeding, foaling, stalling, trailering ..............

Both the MHW and the Journal are great reference tools. We have subscribed to both and have even gone out of the way to purchase as many of the earlier MHW as we can for the reference articles/photos.

IMHO - if you're serious about breeding/showing or owning minis it is well worth it.

No, not to me!! The articles are most often reprints or very basic- nothing I cannot read elsewhere. The ads?? Very pretty...now, lets see the animals themselves and see how they measure up, moving , to the ads!! I became tired or the repetitiveness, too. There is nothing in the magazine I cannot get on the Internet, or information I could not find for myself or get, better, here. Buy it, though, for a while at least, and make up your own mind- they are gorgeous things to have, even if you do cancel after a year or so, like me. (Well, ten or so, or was it twenty, years??
smile.gif
I'm slow to act
biggrin.gif
)

There are not many useful articles in it IMO. There are a few but not enough to support the cost, however...like someone else mentioned...the pics are beautiful and I leave it on my coffee table as more of a picture book.

I love looking at the pics, so for me it is worth it....for reading and learning purposes though I go to "the Horse", "Equus", etc...even though those are not mini-specific, there are many articles in those that apply to any horse...mini or not.

If you enjoy looking at beautiful pics of minis, it would be worth it to you. And there are a few articles to learn from.

i thought that the article on conformation in this months world was invaluable!! truly a great article. I have so many new people ask me how to pick a well conformed mini and that article hit it right on. We have also had tons of new people on this forum ask about conformation and i would encourage every one of them to read that article. I also thought the article about getting horses ready in the fall for winter was a great one. I learn something new everytime i read!!

so yes i think it is well worth it!

on a side not i finally got to go to amha world show. when i looked at the world magazine it was so cool to have seen many of these horses in person. and i have to say they look even better in person then they do the fancy photos.

Absolutely, but I am a bit puzzled that nobody suggested you join AMHA. With your membership you receive the World, plus other benefits of membership.
aktion033.gif

Wanted to add.....My husband (who is totally non-horsey) looks at MHW and The Journal and he won't touch my other horse mags if that tells you anything...he loves the pics and seeing who has what horses. He recognizes certain farm names from things I say, other issues, etc...He loves seeing ads from the people we bought our one horse from.

Would someone please post the web site for this magazine. I did a search and couldn't open the only link I found. Thanks.

miniature horse world is the amha magazine www.amha.org

the journal is the amhr magazine www.shetlandminiature.com

If you become a member, it is included in the price of membership and becomes much more affordable!

My own personal answer is no it isnt worth it. the adds are pretty however if you a hve the magazine over the years you will notice many not all but many of the adds are the same ones year after year.. SO have seen most of them already.

I dont find the articles very detailed either pretty basic info IMO - so no I dont get the magazine anymore.

I to dont understand the high price as I would think as well the adds would cover a majority of the price and then make it very close if not totally self supporting

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back