Miniature Horse shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
We don't have any AMHR show in our local area and just wondering what attracts people to show at local fairs?? We do show at our local fairs but some fair shows are bigger then others. ( number of minis that is)

Just wondering how we can help improve the numbers and hold a bigger show.

Any suggestions? and yes there is money when you win up to 5th place and most fair shows

Do you mean what attracts exhibitors, or what attracts audiences?

I've shown in one county fair, and would have shown in others except they're being cancelled right and left around here...very sad. I think Mingus shows well against the big horses (our fair only had open classes), and I like the relaxed atmosphere, so we'll go back next year.

To market your show to exhibitors, especially to youth and amateurs, I would first organize a miniature horse club in your area if one doesn't already exist. Before the show, I would hold a clinic to help those who are new and possibly afraid of showing. Give them a chance to practice grooming and clipping, getting their horse out around other horses, showing them to others...give them loads of feedback in a no pressure atmosphere.

Again, for kids, how about coordinating a transportation board to help those who don't have it?

Money talks, but I don't think it's why most people show. I personally would rather see that money put toward creating a better show, perhaps bringing in better judges.

As to what attracts audiences: good publicity...and it doesn't have to cost very much at all

We just returned from the Oregon State Fair, where they have finally gotten a clue that people, especially families with children, LOVE minis. This year there were signs all over with arrows saying "MINIATURE HORSES." It worked. The classes were well-attended and there were many visitors to the barns.

They could do even more by running a photo and short article about minis in the newspaper insert about the fair.

The audience at the Oregon State Fair LOVED liberty, so I would highly encourage that and other fun classes

Minis are a great way to draw families to the fair, bringing in more money, which most fairs are sorely lacking. Fair directors are caught between the past and the present and don't know how to effectively market to their target audience.

Good luck!

I couldn't have said it better Susanne. I think you have some good ideas to build on. I would like to see more mini shows at the local fairs as there are no local shows for minis here either.

Thanks susanne, great ideas this is what I am looking for. I want to attract exhibitors and an audience.

A freind of mine holds a miniature horse show at a fair every year but we only had 5 horses this year really sad turnout
no.gif

So next year is their 75th anniversary for the fair and they really want to make it a good one.

So I suggested to get a good judge, and more classes.

I am planning to hold a clinic in May but its to get the people to come. It will cover Halter and driving but I would really like to try to put jumping and grooming in there too. It would be a 2day clinic.

Thanks for the advice,

Nicole

nicole said:
Thanks susanne,  great ideas this is what I am looking for.  I want to attract exhibitors and an audience. 
A freind of mine holds a miniature horse show at a fair every year but we only had 5 horses this year really sad turnout
no.gif

So next year is their 75th anniversary for the fair and they really want to make it a good one.

So I suggested to get  a good judge, and  more classes. 

I am planning to hold a clinic in May but its to get the people to come.  It will cover Halter and driving but I would really like to try to put jumping and grooming in there too.  It would be a 2day clinic.

Thanks for the advice,

Nicole

460930[/snapback]

I'd be interested in all, if I weren't so far away from anywhere.

You really need to advertise....to get exhibitors interested enough to enter. Advertise in ALL local & surrounding newspapers....get reporters to run human interest stories about the Minis. Get AMHA & AMHR member lists & send entry forms out to every one in your area. Put up posters in feed stores, veterinarian offices, pet stores, etc. And.....if there are any AMHA, AMHR shows in the vicinity on the same day....don't expect a large turnout.
no.gif
Most will opt to go to the sanctioned shows....but you may still get a few who are "nervous" about showing at the bigger shows, or who like showing at smaller, less stressful shows.

Our state fair mini shows numbers have been down, I think cuz its such a hassle to show at the state fair. This year they were up big time. Our club put on a futurity for weanlings I think it paid 500 bucks for first 300 for second and 200 and third. One for fillies and colts. Not only did it bring in weanlings but then since you were going more horses came. We just used the judges score in the open weanling class. Then after points were tabulated had it announced and took pictures. The stip was your farm had to be the breeder of the foal and you had to be a member of the club. So it was pretty cool. I think there were about 14 in each weanling division. Had alot of spectators which is good and alot of interested people in the minis. It also pays back from the fair. So some people ended up making some good money with their weanlings.

I would say club involvement is a big one, as well as planning the right classes at the right time.

Also breed association (AMHR/AMHA for me) approval and rating is important to me as well. I MIGHT consider showing at a fair if nothing else was happening that weekend, breed-wise, but rather show at rated shows w/points, etc.

I love to show in association with a fair, and hopefully next year our club will go back to holding a show in conjunction w/the Marion County Fair as they had done in years past. I loved showing at the Oregon State Fair. It's nice to have all the other activities and yes, the public gets annoying sometimes, but it's also wonderful to share them w/people that don't always get to see them and answer questions, show them off, etc.

As susanne mentioned, advertising is also key. I'd advertise in your local classifieds in the horses for sale/wanted section, around at area tack and feed shops and look into local clubs and use their resources, too.

Liz M.

Miniature Horse shows, What attracts you to attend a fair show

Cotton candy and the ferris wheel

(sorry I couldn't resisit)

What attracts me as an exhibitor is if the show is sanctioned by AMHR. Then the paybacks are really nice (REALLY nice!!!).
biggrin.gif

They are fun, they often pay nice premiums, they are a good place to practice for something bigger, no pro handlers to compete with, etc etc. etc
laugh.gif
Mary

I think it's the prize money that bring people out in greater numbers. Last year (and I think this year, too) there was the show that called itself the "Canadian Championships" or something like that
rolleyes.gif
. They were offering something like $50 for 1st in a halter class and $100 to win a driving class, and it went down from there to sixth place. LOTS of people went to that, and some came out of there with hundreds of dollars in their pockets! I know that kind of prize money is way out of the league of the fairs, but if you could somehow get extra money added through sponsorship, that would bring people out.

You've sure gotten some great responses to your questions!

Latest posts

Back