Miniature horse segment coming right up...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
....in Mountain Time zone-MDT, started at 8 PM--for those of you who get Animal Planet.

Margo

Saw it.

When they took the mini owner to court and asked him about the condition of his horse, he said they go in cycles and he was just skinny right now.
default_wacko.png
[Not exact words, but basic gist of his defense. Needless to say, the horse was awarded to the humane society.]

"Their weight is going to fluctuate. It's going to go up and down with spring and winter. That's normal." "I've owned and shown champion miniature horses for years."

Uh-huh. Right. Jerk!!

I did find it funny how they were saying miniature horses weren't the same as their large horse counterparts and are "closer to death" at the same level of skinny as a big horse, all that. They're right that it takes a lot more to get a mini that skeletal since their air-fern tendencies make them easier to keep fat than a big guy but a skinny horse is a skinny horse. And that poor guy was definitely skinny.
default_no.gif

Was anyone else annoyed by the way they called those two dogs chows? A mix maybe, but no way were those purebreds or even close!

Leia

leia, i concur! about those dogs...when they do the animals cops from new york, that is the only time i ever see temperament tests done prior to adoption. i'm sure the other agencies do them but those dogs last night (that were anything BUT chows) looked to be pretty questionable as far as suitability to be adopted. the red one, especially, seemed almost feral.

as for the mini horse, as is usually the case, i fell sound asleep on the couch before i saw the ending. did they place him?? and that biggie that was literally a rack of bones, OMG my heart just broke.
default_sad.png

oh and, can i use that "seasonal" thing to explain the ups and downs in MY weight? :DOH!

I try to watch ALL of the 'animal humane associations' shows on Animal Planet. Yes, you could 'nitpick' a LOT of what the personnel, on each and every ONE of the several shows-NYC, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Miami, San Fran...?-- say about what kind of breed or cross, the animals they deal with are(yes, anyone who's ever even SEEN a chow-chow would know neither of those dogs was a purebred, but certainly the tan/ginger colored dog WAS a chow cross...the tongue, and the eyes told that story)--but please, try to remember what their jobs are REALLY about....most of them are not 'breed experts', whether it be dog, cat, horse, or ????--but they ARE compassionate people, doing their best for animals in the best way they know how--and maybe you'll lighten up a bit?

How would YOU like to deal with what they deal with on a daily basis? I KNOW I could not; I would end up PHYSICALLY ATTACKING some sorry SOB like that A--HOLE who claimed he'd 'been showing champion miniature horses for years', or even some ignorant so-and-so like the young woman who had 'rescued' that poor elderly mare, 'didn't want her put down', presented feed receipts in court, but NEVER THOUGHT to have a vet determine why the mare wasn't improving(she had NO rear molars, and was just too far gone for saving, by the time Houston Humane was notified about her...but her 'savior' was content to just let her starve before her very eyes--and then stood up after court and stated that she'd 'rescue' again--that all any of them needed was 'food and love'(but apparently, not medical care or attention!)...or perhaps, the owner of the 40 some-odd American Bulldogs, STARVING in a FOUL puppy mill situation in a show earlier this week.........So---I personally think there is going to be a special place beyond the Rainbow Bridge for most of those who do that line of work.

The shows are all quite interestingly different; they mostly reflect how supportive their community is, monetarily and otherwise....some have lots of nice equipment and supplies, while another is clearly operating on a 'wing and a prayer', and dedicated personnel, for the most part. I have found these shows a fascinating window on human nature--some of the best, and some of the WORST....but enlightening, and offering at least SOME hope for those who DO NOT HAVE A VOICE-- mistreated, misused, neglected---animals.Oh, and I have seen temperment testing done on most of the different shows. Some seem to stress it and carry it out more comprehensively than others, but I suspect that in most cases, it is understood how important that is...even Detroit, clearly the 'poorest' in monetary support(but with some of the MOST dedicated people, and some of our(my daughter and I) personal favorite folks)does it.

There was no mention of whether the miniature horse was 'placed', BTW--the last view of him on the show was when a group of youngsters(Girl Scouts, perhaps?)were visiting the shelter. He looked in MUCH better shape, was all clean and 'spiffed up', and enjoying brushing and other attention from the young girls....a very good situation in itself. It was explained that the visit was part of 'humane education'--and heaven knows, much of the world could benefit from that, don't you think?

Margo

I personally know Officer Janson (grew up with his son, Robbie) and he is just the COOLEST guy ever! I just watched it (recorded) and I was screaming at the TV when the idiot guy was in court. I am totally with Leia about the guy. I absolutely loved the vet who helped Mr. Goldman with the bones.

i saw it yesterday, it discusted me deeply! oh shure like he said, he really is an experienced mini owner

I try to watch ALL of the 'animal humane associations' shows on Animal Planet. Yes, you could 'nitpick' a LOT of what the personnel, on each and every ONE of the several shows-NYC, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Miami, San Fran...?-- say about what kind of breed or cross, the animals they deal with are(yes, anyone who's ever even SEEN a chow-chow would know neither of those dogs was a purebred, but certainly the tan/ginger colored dog WAS a chow cross...the tongue, and the eyes told that story)--but please, try to remember what their jobs are REALLY about....most of them are not 'breed experts', whether it be dog, cat, horse, or ????--but they ARE compassionate people, doing their best for animals in the best way they know how--and maybe you'll lighten up a bit?

How would YOU like to deal with what they deal with on a daily basis? I KNOW I could not; I would end up PHYSICALLY ATTACKING some sorry SOB like that A--HOLE who claimed he'd 'been showing champion miniature horses for years', or even some ignorant so-and-so like the young woman who had 'rescued' that poor elderly mare, 'didn't want her put down', presented feed receipts in court, but NEVER THOUGHT to have a vet determine why the mare wasn't improving(she had NO rear molars, and was just too far gone for saving, by the time Houston Humane was notified about her...but her 'savior' was content to just let her starve before her very eyes--and then stood up after court and stated that she'd 'rescue' again--that all any of them needed was 'food and love'(but apparently, not medical care or attention!)...or perhaps, the owner of the 40 some-odd American Bulldogs, STARVING in a FOUL puppy mill situation in a show earlier this week.........So---I personally think there is going to be a special place beyond the Rainbow Bridge for most of those who do that line of work. The shows are all quite interestingly different; they mostly reflect how supportive their community is, monetarily and otherwise....some have lots of nice equipment and supplies, while another is clearly operating on a 'wing and a prayer', and dedicated personnel, for the most part. I have found these shows a fascinating window on human nature--some of the best, and some of the WORST....but enlightening, and offering at least SOME hope for those who DO NOT HAVE A VOICE-- mistreated, misused, neglected---animals.Oh, and I have seen temperment testing done on most of the different shows. Some seem to stress it and carry it out more comprehensively than others, but I suspect that in most cases, it is understood how important that is...even Detroit, clearly the 'poorest' in monetary support(but with some of the MOST dedicated people, and some of our(my daughter and I) personal favorite folks)does it.

There was no mention of whether the miniature horse was 'placed', BTW--the last view of him on the show was when a group of youngsters(Girl Scouts, perhaps?)were visiting the shelter. He looked in MUCH better shape, was all clean and 'spiffed up', and enjoying brushing and other attention from the young girls....a very good situation in itself. It was explained that the visit was part of 'humane education'--and heaven knows, much of the world could benefit from that, don't you think?

Margo

Just thought I would add, that place was DISGUSTING. My dad works next door, and you could always smell the place the moment you stepped out of the car (And it was a good distance away). The dogs were always just sitting there in these tiny little kennels outside.. It was so sad.

I missed this one.. I need to start watching Animal Cops Houston again, because my vet became their current vet about 8 months ago.. She is amazing!

How could that guy say he showed miniature horses for years? Burning the dead horse. Keeping the bones of other minis in his greenhouse. Has anyone ever heard of mini breeders that have showed for years going that downhill? He told the officers that the bones of the dead mini was 15-20 years old and further examination said it was around 5. I did think it was kinda funny though that the lady officer said that minis were supposed to be fatter than big horses. Apparently she has never seen some of the latest AMHR champions. Those are trim horses. Anyway I thought Pumpkin was a cute name for the mini. He was a cute little guy.
default_yes.gif

Margo, none of us were critizing the animal cops themselves. I just thought the announcer, writer, or producer might have been a little more careful about doing their homework! Those who have chows don't appreciate mis-information being perpetuated any more than pit bull owners do and this is National TV. It reaches a lot of people.
default_no.gif

Anyway, I too am glad they removed the horse from that situation. I can't imagine burning the carcass of a dead 5 year old miniature horse then just leaving it lying in the same pasture my living mini is in.
default_smileypuke.gif

Leia

Edited for typo

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back