Miniature Horse Jumps

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
I've searched on google and found several websites with mini jumps but most are in the range of $275-$300 for one jump including shipping...so do you build your jumps? Is there a website or book detailing how to do this?

Thanks for any info in advance!

You can search "DOG AGILITY" and find the small cups that are used to make the mini jumps. You then attach them to PVC pipes in gallon cans of cement. Instant easy to move jump. won't cost $250.00

Definatly build! I started out just jumping using brooms and boxes to make my first 'jumps'. But what I have now is wooden stands and metal jump cups. We bought some PVC to make the rails, and it was SO much cheaper- and not hard at all!!!
default_yes.gif
Plus now I can be creative, over the winter my goal is to make some flower boxes, a rolltop, and some other fun things
default_aktion033.gif

And they look pretty nice too
default_yes.gif

anniej1.jpg

You can search "DOG AGILITY" and find the small cups that are used to make the mini jumps. You then attach them to PVC pipes in gallon cans of cement. Instant easy to move jump. won't cost $250.00

[SIZE=12pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

I looked at several Dog Agility sites but none sold just the jump cups for the PVC pipe. Would you by chance have the name of a company
default_smile.png

Thanks,

Joy

Hi Katiean! Could you PM me with the seller's name too? Thank you!

Thanks everyone else for replying, I'm going to go get some PVC pipe this week and try to build one.
default_smile.png

Actually if you go to Jeffers Equine or horse.com and look up jump cups you will find them for about $5.00 a pair. I used them for the show this year, built most of my own jumps which turned out very nice. I did buy a wall and had an exhibitor lend the show their stacker jump. Worked out real nice.

I just took 2" pvc pipe, got some pvc pipe holders from the plumping section (for toilet seats I think if I remember correctly) added a base that was 10 or 12 inches square and 2" thick and voila! Oh and we used plumping pvc pipe covers on the tops so no one felt the edges of the cut pvc pipes. Then the hardware guy and I measured the holes from the base of the base and drilled holes up every 6".

We found colorful plastic paints and painted the 5" foot pipes, made for a nice looking jump set.

Total cost less than $100 for a set of 5.

If there priced at that much to buy, I would definately build my own! I made a course of jumps and there made mostly of wood, and I have PVC type poles. They work just fine, and they look good. I'd say for 6 sets it cost me $100 - $150.

We also started out jumping boxes and broom sticks.

Then Mark made some jumps out of wood and PVC

pipe. A plastic 50 gallon barrel cut in half makes two easy jumps.

I'll post a picture of our mare jumping one of the jumps

Mark made. Hope this helps.

McDevitt102.jpg.jpg

Cathy

You don't even need jump cups. If you use 1 1/2-inch PVC pipe as your standards, all you need are a couple of hand clamps (tilted up) to rest the PVC jump pole on. They can be easily moved up and down for any height. We travel to shows with a set of these.

Or, go to a hardware store and buy a couple of tamps (used to tamp down soil). It's more expensive than using PVC, but you don't have to build a base; the tamp plate is the base. Then use hand clamps for your PVC jump pole.

We've used both the PVC pipes as standards and the tamps and it has helped prepare us for shows. (If you're curious how much it has helped, just check out our Nationals, Hall of Fame and All-Stars pages at My Webpage.)

Trying that picture again.
default_smile.png

McDevitt102.jpg.jpg

Cathy

Sorry. Trying to be helpful but I can't get

that picture to post. Strange, because I had

no trouble posting before. If you want, you

can see it under topic "minis 30 inch and under"

page 3. :DOH!

I like the jump cup strips. That way your change time is much less. Also, you don't lose the pins that hold the cups. I have seen the Jump Cup Strips for about $16 a pair plus $10 shipping. Or they had 5 sets of strips for $65.50 and $10 shipping.

My dad made my jumps for me. They work great and are very easy and lightweight to move around. He used the pvc type fence posts for the standards. He attached wooden support type things to the bottom to make the standards stand. At first the wood at the bottom was 6" each direction but the jumps kept falling over from wind. So he added more wooden supports that are 12" each direction. Now I have no problems with them falling over unless my full size gelding decides to play with them.
default_wacko.png
And of course that is one of his favorite things to do.
default_rolleyes.gif
The poles are pvc also. The jump cups are made of pvc caps, a size bigger then the poles. All he did was cut them in half and mount them on the standards.

Jump with 6" wooden supports

PICT0107-2-2.jpg

Jump with 12" wooden supports added on. They still have to be painted.

PICT0190-2-2.jpg

[attachmentid=82]My husband made some jumps as a Christmas gift for my daughter. It took him just a few hours to make 6 jumps. They aren't anything fancy, but they will definitely work. He just took some 2 x 4's, PVC pipe and we ordered cups from State Line Tack. Then I painted them. We had some lattice work in the garage that we used for a couple of the jumps. I picked up some clearance flowers at a craft store to decorate a few of them. In total we spent no more than $150.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using 1-1/2" pvc for your standards, you can take a 2" "T" and cut it in 1/2, you will end up with a loop that can go down over your standard which will easily slide up and down, that also has a "cup". So you make two cups out of each "T". Drill a hole all the way thru the loop part, and on the standard drill a hole thru every 3" or so. then you can use a long pin that holds your cup in place.

I hope I explained it well enough!

Ok, I believe I was Marty's first Doofus and I made my own jumps....and they worked.

I drilled holes in the pvc pipe and then took coffee cans (the kind made out of plastic) set in the pipe and filled with quik cret (sp) I held it in center. I then cut the top off a t fitting and slipped it over the pole in the can and put a peg in the hole to hold the fitting. I did the same thing on the other side, space the two stands and put a piece of pvc pipe between them. I would have to go measure the sizes. Now mine are not pretty and aren't real strong but work perfectly for the horse in training.

There is a lady here in MA that makes them. I bought a set of 4 and made the flower pots myself. The jumps are all made from PVC.

jumps.jpg

Latest posts

Back