Miniature Horse Gaurdians

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what everyone has to protect there minis and/or what works the best to keep them safe!!

Also is there anything I should NEVER let protect them(like some breed of dog)?

Thanks!!

-Gage-

A friend of ours who has a hobby farm with sheep, goats and miniature horses has had great success with a combination of Great Pyrenees dogs, llamas and donkeys.

We have a combination of multiple strand tape electric fencing AND LLAMAS ....

MA

My big horses (in different corrals mind you lol) have been pretty good at such things. My stalion Cinder was attacked by a mountain lion. At the time I had a big Thoroughbred who actually broke through the fence and saved Cinder's life. Good boy
smile.gif
aktion033.gif

Anatolian Shepherds, no question.

Robin

I would second Anatolians- they are being bred in Africa now to be given to local goat herders to protect the goats and stop the herdsman killing the Lions and Cheetahs that would otherwise eat the goats anything that can stand up to a Lion or Cheetah has to be a pretty good Guardian!!

unsure.gif
ahemm...While I try to keep my clothes on to avoid the horses thinking that they are being stalked by the great white buffalo, I agree with the other suggestions here.

We use a bit of electric fence, barn stalls, have TRAINED dogs nearby, and keep Llamas with them as well.

You are the most important protectant. Walk your fences...know your surroundings. We also use our son. I'm proud to say that he grabbed a baseball bat and saved a terrified filly from a great dane that had gotten into our property just yesterday. She was upset, but unharmed. Lucky for the dane, we don't allow our 11 year old to carry a gun...that was HIS filly.

I might point out that ANY dog can be good or bad. Like horses, they all have their own quirks and personalities. The breeds listed by other people above have a higher tendency to work well with herds, but it is up to you to work with them.

Also, never use an uncut male Llama around any smaller herd animal (expecially sheep).

I would love to have a Anatolian some day! But for now, I have my donkeys, also have a camera system hooked into the house..but that only works in the run-in and PART of the pasture area. I a bring them all up to the front part of the pasture at night, which is directly behind our house and they are in full view. (not that I can see anything in the dark!!) my stallions and babies are all stalled at night. Our fencing is the 4x4" squares so that helps too.

What a brave boy!
aktion033.gif
I live way out in the boonies. My pasture fence used to go up to the road. Then I began to hear about theivery and moved my fences way back and use a perimeter fence surrounding the paddocks also. My kids come in at nite because we have bears and coyotes. I am however considering a guard dog seeing as the theives seem to be getting braver.

We have llamas with our herd of mares and babies. They have never hurt any human, but they run towards strangers rather menacingly. Mostly they are curious, but it does keep strangers out of the pen. We have a pasture near a creek and woodsy area, but bring them in every night.

One day, while we were gone, our neighbors dog (who has killed a couple of our chickens already) got in with our 2 yr old foundation mare. Big mistake for him. She cornered him and he could not get away from her. She never hurt him, but would not let him out of the corner until we got home. That was one scared dog. The neighbors now keep close eye on him (could be her or my threat to make him furtilizer if I ever caught him in or near my barn again
biggrin.gif
)

Your neighbours dog story, just brought back memories I had chose to forget...

Our neighbours had moved but still owned the property, they left the dog here and his brother fed it. Through lonelyness / neglect. He started to rome our ground.

Before we knew it was him, it cost me a mare and her unborn 5 month foal, and a leopard spotted stallion I had just purchased 3 days before, and drove to the UK to get him. The dog picked him out in the field, and chased him till he tried to jump the fence, he broke his back leg on a post and had to be destroyed. I watched the whole thing and there was nothing I could do. The horse was new to me and my fields... I am an animal lover and have my own dogs, but I had the dog destroyed, through it's neglect and pain of being abondoned, it was running a menace. and where was it likely to stop?

Electric fence, Donkey Braying warning system (but I would never want her to proctect by fighting something, just tells me something is out there), and my trusty Shot gun.

The are all either brought into the sheds or the pasture right next to the house at night.

I keep thinking about a LGD but I don't know.

I stall my minis at night but during the day they are protected by my standard donkey. He is so sweet to the people and animals that belong on the farm but anything else better watch out!

My two month old filly was attacked by the neighbor's dog, when I was home, and in the middle of the day- she almost lost her right eye from this attack, but the skillful hands of my vet fixed her up just fine. The mare kicked the dog out cold and saved her life, but I am so worried about my miniatures. I put them up at night, but this attack happened in the middle of the day, when I went into the house for a short break! I do not leave my babies out when I am not home, I am usually outside working in the barn when they are out, and I learned the hard way that there is really no way to keep dogs out. This dog easily scaled a five foot horse fence and got my baby in a matter of seconds. Last night, there were reports of a pack of dogs killing 6 deer at the Me Zoo - a small zoo nearby. Two days ago, a pack of dogs got into the huge Indianapolis Zoo and killed several fowl. I have read so many reports about dogs this year, including Tony from Little America. This is a real problem and a miniature horse owner's true nightmare. I have never been one to keep a dog outside all the time, but I am really considering getting a guard dog. We already have three inside dogs, but my aging Golden Retriever would be no match for stray dogs or coyotes. I don't know much about llamas, so will do some more research on them but I really need to get something for my peace of mind.

Looking forward to hearing other comments from other forum members on how they protect their precious miniatures.

Pam

Hi, I was just wondering what everyone has to protect there minis and/or what works the best to keep them safe!!

[SIZE=14pt]ME![/SIZE]

One look at me in my nightshirt and bed-hair and butt just a bouncing in the breeze is not a welcome sight.

Just the other night a big old bear came ringing the doorbell on the pasture gate. "Let me in, let me in, I want to eat you all up" he demanded. I took out after him weilding a broom. He took one look at me and said "lady you is so ugly I am skkeered of you" and he took off running with his big long tail betwixed his legs. I hollared after him to go two doors down on the left to see Mrs. B. because she is very pretty.

My horses are stalled at night.

My dogs are also trained to protect and will alert us to anyone or anything that comes onto the property.

I have field fencing with two strands of hotwire inside and out and that helps keep the strays and the boogieman out also.

My two month old filly was attacked by the neighbor's dog, when I was home, and in the middle of the day- she almost lost her right eye from this attack, but the skillful hands of my vet fixed her up just fine. The mare kicked the dog out cold and saved her life, but I am so worried about my miniatures. I put them up at night, but this attack happened in the middle of the day, when I went into the house for a short break! I do not leave my babies out when I am not home, I am usually outside working in the barn when they are out, and I learned the hard way that there is really no way to keep dogs out. This dog easily scaled a five foot horse fence and got my baby in a matter of seconds. Last night, there were reports of a pack of dogs killing 6 deer at the Me Zoo - a small zoo nearby. Two days ago, a pack of dogs got into the huge Indianapolis Zoo and killed several fowl. I have read so many reports about dogs this year, including Tony from Little America. This is a real problem and a miniature horse owner's true nightmare. I have never been one to keep a dog outside all the time, but I am really considering getting a guard dog. We already have three inside dogs, but my aging Golden Retriever would be no match for stray dogs or coyotes. I don't know much about llamas, so will do some more research on them but I really need to get something for my peace of mind.

Looking forward to hearing other comments from other forum members on how they protect their precious miniatures.

Pam

Great Pyrneese! My daughter has had great luck with them in her Babydoll sheep,mini pasture! If interested look back a few pages and you will see she has some for sale, unregistered but purebred for $225..

They have Coyotes, and some stray dogs etc and are on the lookout, even chased away the Canada geese in there.

What about a mini donkey for a guardian? Are they as protective as their bigger counterpart? We do have coyote's and bears in the area.

Ella

Our first line of defense is a 6' chain link fence around the property. Second is the hounddog that loves to bark at everything, then the mini donk that goes off when something isn't right. The mini mules are great protectors. That don't even like our own dogs to go in with them and the horses.

Latest posts

Back