Miniature Horse Gaurdians

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly we depend on a high powered rifle. If we are going to be away from home we confine them to a smaller pasture near the buildings. Other than that they are out 24/7. The predators either stay away or never come back for a second look.

This is a great topic. I was also wondering about a Mini Donkey or two, if they would be able to handle something like a Coyote or stray dog. We have a fox that runs through every once in a while too, kinda makes the little guys jumpy.. Where we don't have very many right now, we bring our Mini's in at night or when we are not home, but someone is mostly always here. But we are clearing and fencing off more pasture as we go and I have heard Coyotes down back at night, they get the dogs going. So we were also looking for something.

Tandeelu said:
What about a mini donkey for a guardian?  Are they as protective as their bigger counterpart?  We do have coyote's and bears in the area.

Ella

428457[/snapback]

No, They are not big enough and Bears/Cougar/Coyotes can take a mini donkey down just as easily as an miniature horse.

In Fact the Standard sized Donkey down the hill of us at the old Farm was killed by a Cougar.

We bring our minis in at night.

We have a naked mini donkey
new_shocked.gif
and she will take on anything that comes on our property except the animals that are suppose to live there.

Tammi

Great Pyrenees!!!!
aktion033.gif
Our Pyr "Panda" is worth his weight in gold & has proven himself many times over. Believe it or not, we found him at a local "swap meet" for only $65.00.
new_shocked.gif
He was being sold without his papers, as the breeder said his bite was off. But he has a perfect "scissor" bite.
wacko.gif

Anyway....I didn't care about papers. Just wanted a Great Pyr & got a wonderful one in Panda!
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back