Miniature horse classes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

I (might) be entering Éowyn in a 4-H miniature horse show on May 11th, but I'm not sure what classes to enter her in?

I'd like to do Halter, showmanship, and in hand obstacle, and maybe bribe a horse and Liberty.

So this is what it says though and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to enter her in:

(Éowyn is 2 years old and shes a filly/mare, and I'm under 17 years old [is that what the 17-/18+ stands for?) She is also multi colored (brown and white pinto) so does that mean I can enter her in more than one halter class?

Halter
1. Junior Geldings/Stallions
2. Junior Mares
3. Senior Geldings/Stallions
4. Senior Mares
5. Grand Champion Halter*
6. Youth (17-) Halter
7. Solid Color
8. Multi Color
9. 17- Showmanship
10.18+ Showmanship

Miscellaneous
21. Open In Hand Obstacle
22. Open Liberty
23. Open Bribe-A-Horse

Thank you for your help--I have no experience showing a miniature and so I'm kind of confused on this XD Thanks! =)

Also, it says No formal show attire or body clipping necessary. The fuzzier the better! So should I just wear casual clothes or would it be better if I dressed in my show outfit?
Thanks!

Good for you! Keeping in mind her age and your age, you'd be eligible for:

2. Junior Mares

6. Youth Halter (-17)

8. Multi Color

9. -17 Showmanship

Check with the show steward to see if a 2 year old can participate in 21. In-hand obstacle and 22. Open Liberty. Most likely, you can - usually the only age restrictions are for in-hand jumping. I haven't heard of 23. Bribe-a-Horse, but it sounds like fun!

If it's a casual, fuzzy show, I wouldn't dress up too much. Nice dark jeans, a nice shirt and boots should be fine. Have a great time and let us know how you and your horse do at the show!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can enter classes 2-6-8-9-21-22-23, although I don't know what bribe a horse is, never heard of it, can you call the secretary and find out before entering? EVen if they say fuzzy horses, you could still bath and clip the head and throat for a nicer look, it shows you are serious about winning, and I would wear my show cloths and nice boots.

Sorry for the second post, but, I forgot something very important. We show a lot of 4-H shows. Have fun, and show it with a big smile!

Hey! I'm helping put on that show, actually. :D

Last year we had close to 70 4-H youth (and their miniature horses) come and participate, so it is a great way to meet new people and learn about showing.

You can enter in Junior Mares, Youth Halter, Multi-Color, Youth Showmanship, Obstacle, Liberty, and Bribe-A-Horse.

You don't need to dress up (I wore a nice t-shirt and jeans in showmanship and won last year) as it is totally informal and is just a fun show.

Your mini doesn't even need to be clipped, either. If you have any questions you are more than welcome to call me, my contact info is listed on the flier.

I'd love to see you there! Make sure you preregister before the May 3 deadline for the clinic that is held prior to the show. I have several knowledgable clinicians lined up who are more than willing to answer any of your questions.
default_smile.png

Edited this to say that the clinic and fun show is open to anyone, whether they are in 4-H or not. So if you guys know anyone in MN, feel free to spread the word!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your help--I hope I can make it! My parents are going to be busy that weekend so I was going to tag along with someone else I knew who was going, but I'm not sure if its going to work out anymore
default_sad.png

Try to go anyhow even if you can't take your horse and show. You'll make friends and get knowledge under your belt.

The thing is, I don't have a way to get there--I will (just have gotten) have my license by then, but my parents wouldn't let me drive far alone already. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back