Miniature donkey questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a miniature donkey but I figured I would do my homework before making any choices.

1) Can you drrive them(single or tandem)?

2)How much feed/hay would one require and what do you usually feed?

3)Do you deworm them the same as a miniature horse?

4) Do they need the same needles as a miniature horse?

5)Do they get their teeth floated?

6)Do you get there hooves done the same amount as your horses?

Thanks

BFS_Simon_Says said:
I'm thinking about getting a miniature donkey but I figured I would do my homework before making any choices. 1) Can you drrive them(single or tandem)?

2)How much feed/hay would one require and what do you usually feed?

3)Do you deworm them the same as a miniature horse?

4) Do they need the same needles as a miniature horse?

5)Do they get their teeth floated?

6)Do you get there hooves done the same amount as your horses?

Thanks
1.) Yes you can, once they are old enough and trained to do so.

2.) That will depend on each animal, your weather and what they are doing. Overall Donkeys do not need rich food like Alfalfa, or spring grass, as they will founder.

Ella eats in the pasture during the day and gets a little orchard grass when I put her in her stall at night.

3.) Yes, every 8 weeks for adults,, once a month for ages under 12 months.

4.) Yes

5.) Yes, Ellas. little hooves are trimmed every 8 weeks, just like the minis hooves are.

wink.gif

Yes, you can drive them. My Kilroy was trained when he was 3 PRIOR to him learning about breeding. We show him in driving shows and take him in parades, ditchbank drives.....it's fun!

Kilroy is 33", 7 yr old breeding machine
wink.gif
. He currently gets 1 cup 2x a day of Nutrena Prime + 1 cup soaked of beet pulp at night. It has to be damp, not soggy or he won't eat it. He also gets 1.5# of Coastal Bermuda 2x a day. He stays fit and trim on this diet.

We use the same worming schedule on him as we do the horses and mini mules, he is trimmed every 8 weeks, uses the same size needles.

He is due for his teeth to be floated but I'm trying to find a vet that does minis AND knows about donkeys and mules. They react differently than horses to some drugs.

Latest posts

Back