Miniature Curly horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YUP! Jody and Judy are giving me this filly for my birthday! She is JUST WONDERFUL! and I ADORE her name!

dru

Thanks for sharing. I think it's cool and it's forward thinking. They are miniature horses after all
default_smile.png

Hello Everyone, We live in Caistor Centre, Ontario which is in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada and we own a farm where we breed North American Curly Horses in pony and miniature size.

There are only a small handful of miniature size curly horses (probably not even that many!) in the WORLD to date. Our farm is called "The Little Curly Gaits" and our goal is to downsize the North American Curly Horse registered as Curly horses with the ICHO (International Curly Horse Organization) which is one of two Curly Registrations, the other being the ABCR (American Bashkir Curly Registration). In the ICHO there are divisions for type of coat curl but size does not matter. A "pony" is a certain size, a "mini" is 38" or less etc. If they are 38" or less, they are miniature horses, regardless of whether they are registered in one of the miniature horse registries.

You can read about how we got started and about our downsizing program at our website www.miniaturecurlies.com if you are interested, that way I won't bore you with our details.

Fireside Curlies is another downsizing to miniature Curly breeding farm in Alberta Canada who we share a passion and even some horse genetics with!

All the horses in our curly breeding program are registered with their own appropriate group. Our breeding mares and stallions are either registered AMHR (some AMHA) or they are registered with the ICHO. None are grade or unregistered horses and all are eligible for registration in the ICHO. It is actually very unfortunate that they cannot be registered in the AMHR as they are quality minis from registered backgrounds.

As for the coat being hypoallergenic, there is only one way to see if you react to the coat or not...and that is to interact with one. There has been much on-going research into the curly coat genetics and there has not been a specific gene identified with the curly coat but ongoing research is underway and as Curly breeders, we hope soon they will find the genetic marker we are all looking for.

So with that said, it cannot be "proven scientifically" that the curly horse is hypoallergenic but MANY horse allergy suffers who now own Curly horses would agree that the majority are. If anyone advertises their Curly horses as homozygous hypoallergenic or even homozygous for curl, they are only going on the percentage statistics which is commonly measured on how many horses a particular mare or stallion has foaled with a curly coat, it cannot be genetically proven YET!

The curly horses is very gentle, loving, beautiful and in most cases hypoallergenic. Even if you don't care about the allergy benefits, they are a fabulous breed.

We would welcome anyone to our farm (with an appointment) who would like to see our curly ponies/minis, however because we do have regular (registered) miniatures here, that are constantly accompanied with our curly horses, we cannot guarantee you won't have an allergic reaction, the reaction would likely be from the non curly particulate or whatever it is being on the curly coat. Our goal is to eventually have ONLY curly horses where allergy suffers can try it out but for the health and welfare of the mares, the downsizing process takes years and we aren't there yet.

If you are interested in learning more about the Curly Breed, I suggest two sites, one is the ICHO site and Curlyhorsecountry.com, both have great and up-to-date information on the breed.

You can see some closeup photos of the winter curl here curly coats up close

One more thing, North American Curly Horses don't always have curl in their coat, there are smooth coated curlies as well. In most cases even the smooth coated curlies are hypoallergenic but it is generally accepted that the more curl they have, the more hypoallergenic they are. So for those of you who are not fond of the curl in the coat, you can still get a curly without the curl!

I hope this helps anyone interested in learning more about the curly horse in general, and the miniature version specifically! I am sure you will fall in love with these gentle souls!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting! I love your farm name that is so clever!! Welcome to the Miniature Horse and Pony Forums!!

hi all! i used to post on here on a daily basis when i was still Ladybug Farm
default_smile.png
we had a major life change and i had to re-home ALL my miniature horses and my Andalusian as well. that happened about 4 years ago.

i went for almost a whole year without horses and when i tried to re-enter the horse world my allergies (which i had had my WHOLE life) reared their ugly head and i couldn't get within 10 feet of a horse without sneezing, itchy eyes and major asthma. i had a friend that had bred her appaloosa mare to a friesian stallion and i was busy Google-ing that to see what the result might be (it was a GORGEOUS baby by the way...) when i ran across the Curly horse, hypoallergenic!!! i was hooked and amazed.

i contacted many breeders and finally had one write back to me, she was fairly close, just about 300 miles away in idaho. i got to talking with her and to my utter amazement she offered me a yearling colt she had for just $1!!! she had been told by other breeders how ugly he was. they touted all the "problems" he had so she offered him to me, full disclosure. of course i took her up on that and my handsome hubby and i made the trek over to her farm!

she had about 15 curly horses, some very curly all the way to the straight coats. they were all shedding madly and none of the curly coated horses caused me one itchy eye or runny nose!!! i was totally blow away. it was amazing. when i went and handled the straight coated horses i did break out in hives and get sneezy. i had to immediately wash my hands and face. so apparently for me the curly coat was the answer!

billy blaze has a lovely curly coat and is what is considered an extreme curly. he loses his mane and tail in the summer and doesn't grow much even in the winter. i LOVE this horse. he has a wonderful personality, is super friendly and just so much fun to work with!!

i highly recommend anyone with allergies that wants a horse in their life to take a look at the curly horse, big or little
default_wink.png

left: billy before, may 2011 (taken the day after i got him home) right: billy after, september 2012

billybeforeandafter.jpg

if you go the curly site mentioned above you can see a video of billy blaze... we just recently won "the World's Favorite Curly Horse" contest, ground division!!!

Personally, I think curly horses of any size are adorable!

BUT, in the show ring, they pretty much want horses to look like peeled onions. In part, it's to show muscle tone.

It's probably a situation of "what's the goal".

With minis, I really think that more people do show, or aspire to show, than in most other horse breeds.

I do not mean that's a good thing, but I think that's how it really is at this point in time...

I'd like to see more people learn how much fun it is to DRIVE a mini ad how a mini can be the horse for almost EVERY family... and if that ever happens, I can only imagine the appeal that curly's and their hypo-allergenic -properties will hold. AND -- OH -- the appreciation for altheltic miniature geldings!!!

All dogs shed, some just a lot less than others. I have two 3lb Yorkies, never have I found a hair of theirs anywhere. They shed like humans. I also raise Tibetan Terriers who are considered non shedders. They shed, but not like most dogs. The most you will find is a tuff of hair here and there. They have hair like humans with a light undercoat. They are also considered non-allergenic, as are poodles, and many of the terrier breeds. I have had many buyers who have been allergic to dogs in general, who were not allergic to the Tibetans.

For this reason, these breeds are consider less allergenic than most breeds.

As for a curly coat Mini, I had one born 2 years ago. His coat is still curly. I will be showing him this year, but shaved down, no one will see the curl.
Well stated. All the hullabaloo over 'hypoallergenic' dogs is probably a matter of degree and terminology. Unfortunately, words mean things, and when people make extreme claims the credibility of the claim is undermined. Any extremely allergic person may be allergic to any horse or dog, regardless, differing only by degree. Poodles, Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, and others, have a markedly lower incidence of triggering allergies than other dogs (which is what people mean by perhaps overusing 'hypoallergenic'), and though it may be said that they shed (as we do), I have an American Eskimo who fairly defines the term, 'shed'. She sheds about two dogs every day. In comparison, no, Wheatens do not shed at all (not a dual coated dog).

If you rigidly define terms you will always be able to find exceptions.

As a purebred breeder I find the emergence of 'designer breeds' tragic, compared with all the care and diligence put in by ethical purebred breeders. Yes, all our individual breeds came about through selective cross breeding and breeding for particular characteristics, but they were rooted in actual behaviors, instincts, and work or companionship needs... not the whims of fads and false claims. Well, OK, for the most part. LOL.

On the other hand... where do minis really fit in that spectrum after all?

Seems like curlies definitely have a reason for being.

There are 5 Small Pony/Miniature Curly Breeders in North America. And approximately a like number Overseas.

Ellen Bancroft in Washington was either the first or among the first to start bringing the height down from the curly horses. She has been doing it for approximately 10 years to bring the heights to 38" and under. Her webpage is http://www.mindspring.com/~ebancroft/ She registers with NSPPR PtHA(When Pinto)NACHR (ICHO)

SnowyRiver Farms is in BC and purchased from Ellen. http://www.snowyriverfarms.ca Been caring on Ellens work to use Championship Miniature Bloodlines in the effort to continue her hard work. Register NSPPR PtHA (When Pinto) NACHR (ICHO)

Mary

http://www.firesideminiaturecurlyhorses.com/

Cindy http://www.miniaturecurlies.com/

There is currently 1 Mini Curly that is old enough to look at hardshipping AMHA. She has not been officially measured. There are approximately 5-8 others who will not be old enough before AMHA's books close to even try to register them.

The Miniature Curlies are pretty much like the Miniature Horses minus the body clipping. They shed and usually do so more like the larger horses. Their shedding comes out more like clumps. And it can actually be spun and turned into wool. http://ichocurlyhorses.weebly.com/fiber-guild.html

Great comments everyone! I do agree with "Aspiring Cowgirl" that more people should take up driving minis, this is a perfect job for them! As for showing, after shedding, Curly horses generally have a smooth coat in the summer time and can be shaved/clipped down just like regular minis. I have some comparison photos on our website showing some of our Curlies with their summer coat and then a comparison with their winter coat. Other than the curly mane, tail and ears, you can't really tell the difference in the summer on the body coat itself.

http://www.miniaturecurlies.com/Smooth-vs-Curly-Photos.html

Personally, I think their mane wringlets are absolutely beautiful but I am not sure what the show judges would think? LOL

I give great KUDOS to Ellen Bancroft in Washington for starting the downsizing process for Curlies. We purchased our first small 40" pony size curly stallion "Buckey's Bongo Drummer EB" from Ellen a few years ago. He is a fabulous little stallion and is the sire to many of our current breeding stock, thanks Ellen! We also had Bongo professionally trained to drive and he does a fantastic job!

They would not be shown in AMHR or AMHA, so the breed show "bald and goop" is simple not an issue. I would assume any curly registry shows would prize their natural coats, while open shows and driving events look for a neat and tidy horse, not one shorn of every bit of body hair.

People who want a curly horse are unlikely to want to shear them! Having one would make me look forward to their winter coats!

Great comments everyone! I do agree with "Aspiring Cowgirl" that more people should take up driving minis, this is a perfect job for them! As for showing, after shedding, Curly horses generally have a smooth coat in the summer time and can be shaved/clipped down just like regular minis. I have some comparison photos on our website showing some of our Curlies with their summer coat and then a comparison with their winter coat. Other than the curly mane, tail and ears, you can't really tell the difference in the summer on the body coat itself.

http://www.miniaturecurlies.com/Smooth-vs-Curly-Photos.html

Personally, I think their mane wringlets are absolutely beautiful but I am not sure what the show judges would think? LOL

I give great KUDOS to Ellen Bancroft in Washington for starting the downsizing process for Curlies. We purchased our first small 40" pony size curly stallion "Buckey's Bongo Drummer EB" from Ellen a few years ago. He is a fabulous little stallion and is the sire to many of our current breeding stock, thanks Ellen! We also had Bongo professionally trained to drive and he does a fantastic job!
Hi there,

How is Bongo doing? I remember him in for training, what a sweetheart!!! Drove very nice from what I can remember too. I came across his picture the other day and got to wondering how he is.

Anyone liking the Curlies I have to say I really loved Bongo's gentle nature and beautiful coat. They are well worth looking into.

I had to comment on Lizzie's first statement saying that they can't be purebred minis.

Minis are a height breed. Its highly possible.
Mini's are a height breed, but the Registry does not allow anything else to be reg that's not American Shetland ponies. Contact AMHR snd ask

I am very allergic to horses and ponies and dogs and cats and grass and hay and cottonwoods and sagebrush. All things that are attacking me right now! I have a constant sore throat, itchy eyes and runny nose. Fun.

I had an extreme curly horse and as someone who is VERY allergic to horses I can say I was not in the least allergic to him. I could even ride him bareback and not break out in hives! He was the first horse in my life that I could do that with. So there is something to it, though there are many articles that want to prove it wrong ;) Personal experience is valuable in my opinion.
DSC00458.jpg DSC00336.JPG

From what I understand the curly horse is lacking a protein in it's hair coat that causes the hair to be round instead of flat. This protein also causes the curly haired curlies (because there are straight haired curlies as well!) to not have dander. It's typically the dander that causes allergies. Billy was an extreme curly so he didn't have a mane or tail in the summer time.

I also have a Shorkie (non shedding, haired dog that I have to clip. Does he shed some when his hair gets long? Yes absolutely, but when clipped he doesn't shed at all) and a black Golden doodle (the poodle was black) who I also clip. Same as the Shorkie when his hair is long he will shed, but when clipped he doesn't. And I am not allergic to either of them at any time. But any 'shedding' double coated or short haired animal will cause me to break out in hives when I pet them. So I don't know why this is so for me but it is my personal experience!

I am very allergic to horses and ponies and dogs and cats and grass and hay and cottonwoods and sagebrush. All things that are attacking me right now! I have a constant sore throat, itchy eyes and runny nose. Fun.

I had an extreme curly horse and as someone who is VERY allergic to horses I can say I was not in the least allergic to him. I could even ride him bareback and not break out in hives! He was the first horse in my life that I could do that with. So there is something to it, though there are many articles that want to prove it wrong ;) Personal experience is valuable in my opinion.
View attachment 41824 View attachment 41825

From what I understand the curly horse is lacking a protein in it's hair coat that causes the hair to be round instead of flat. This protein also causes the curly haired curlies (because there are straight haired curlies as well!) to not have dander. It's typically the dander that causes allergies. Billy was an extreme curly so he didn't have a mane or tail in the summer time.

I also have a Shorkie (non shedding, haired dog that I have to clip. Does he shed some when his hair gets long? Yes absolutely, but when clipped he doesn't shed at all) and a black Golden doodle (the poodle was black) who I also clip. Same as the Shorkie when his hair is long he will shed, but when clipped he doesn't. And I am not allergic to either of them at any time. But any 'shedding' double coated or short haired animal will cause me to break out in hives when I pet them. So I don't know why this is so for me but it is my personal experience!
My goodness! Your lifestyle is difficult! I cannot imagine what you must go through to enjoy your animals so much.

My goodness! Your lifestyle is difficult! I cannot imagine what you must go through to enjoy your animals so much.
It can be very frustrating. I have a perpetual sore throat and asthma all spring, summer and fall. I never go anywhere without my inhaler and Benedryl. I have tried allergy shots and all the allergy medicines out there over the years. So I spend most of the summer half asleep from the Benedryl. Sigh. But I do love my ponies so it's worth it to me!

Geez, that stinks Mindy! I am thankfully only mildly allergic to dairy. I had it worse when I was younger, I'd get itchy spots on my hips. Now, it's not AS bad, only itchy around my waistline if I eat too much ice cream or milk on my cereal. That's also why I don't especially like cheese.

Wow this is an old thread... kinda fun to see them pop up now and then.

Clementine has a curly mane and tail. So does Perry. And both of their coats have a lot more body and texture than the rest of my minis.

Latest posts

Back