Miniature Blinder Hoods

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssshowhorses

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a few blinder hoods for working horses but I have found that they are almost impossible to find for miniatures. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Here is a reference pic it you have no idea what im talking about:

http://www.nationalb...ct-p/1-0238.htm

horsehoods.com I ordered the size Small. I had to tweak it just a tiny bit, but it works perfect. They will also custom make one in whatever size you want. I didnt want to wait, so I ordered the size small they had in stock. Has worked out perfect for both my A and B sized Mini's. Below is a photo of my hood I got from them. ~Jen~

blinker.jpg

What is the point of blinder hoods?

I like using different bits on different horses depending on what im doing to work them. So I can have a bunch of regular bridles with different bits on them and just pop the hood over top instead of having to spend quite a bit of money and have a bunch of full driving headstalls.

Thanks for asking I was just looking at those and was wondering the same thing now I have a couple places to look :)

I like using different bits on different horses depending on what im doing to work them. So I can have a bunch of regular bridles with different bits on them and just pop the hood over top instead of having to spend quite a bit of money and have a bunch of full driving headstalls.
That's a good idea. I start some of my horses in open bridles, but if I have to use blinders, that makes great sense.
yes.gif
What open bridles do you use?

That's a good idea. I start some of my horses in open bridles, but if I have to use blinders, that makes great sense.
yes.gif
What open bridles do you use?

It depends, I have some just plain pony bridles that you can pick up at most tack shops and then I have some that are open working bridles with checks. All depends what im are working towards with a particular horse or where the horse is at in its training.

Interesting! It occurs to me this would solve my problem with not wanting my colt to ruin one of my good driving bridles in the stall while he learns to wear blinkers. Hmm.... Does anyone know whether I'd order the "full blinker hood" or the "1/2 blinker hood?"

And Jen, how exactly did you have to "tweak" your hood? I'm not much good at sewing so I'm a bit wary.

I hadn't seen Herron's website before and found some interesting things there. Can someone tell me the purpose of those neat-looking "Bowman bits" with the second rings on them? Is it for attaching the check separately without an overcheck bit?

Leia

Interesting! It occurs to me this would solve my problem with not wanting my colt to ruin one of my good driving bridles in the stall while he learns to wear blinkers. Hmm.... Does anyone know whether I'd order the "full blinker hood" or the "1/2 blinker hood?"

And Jen, how exactly did you have to "tweak" your hood? I'm not much good at sewing so I'm a bit wary.

I hadn't seen Herron's website before and found some interesting things there. Can someone tell me the purpose of those neat-looking "Bowman bits" with the second rings on them? Is it for attaching the check separately without an overcheck bit?

Leia
I believe the "full blinkers" are ones that completely cover the eye, there are no openings, it's a full half sphere. The "half blinkers" are what you would probably want, as the horse can see forward as the front half of the sphere is removed.

As to the "Bowman" bits, those are basically "Wilson snaffles" as I've seen them. The rings don't attach to anything, they stabilize along the side. Here is an explanation: Wilson snaffles

Hope this helps Leia.

Andrea

I didn't know the reason for full blinkers until my mom had a mare that had an ulcer in her eye. It was imperative that she not bump it. So she wore a full blinker hood that had the plastic drilled out in a number of places so that the eye could get air and some vision could be obtained from it.

If you are going to drive in full blinkers, THAT would be a lesson in trust!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am suffering from brain freeze and I cannot find the hoods on the site linked to, can you point me there.

I found lots of other things though!

Full blinker hoods are usually used on riding/driving spooky horses. Personally, I'd never do it. But many trainers do.

Andrea

To build trust.

Full Blinder Cup

Call Mike, he has both types, just they other is not listed yet and the pictures aren't up yet. But he has them.

The only thing I had to tweak on my hood was between their ears, there was too much material. So, I just put a dart in between their ears. Took all of a minute to do. And I am nothing too handy with the sew machine. That lifted the whole hood up so it fit okay around their eyes, etc. But, I know if you shoot them an email, they'll tell you exactly what you need to measure on your horse and they'll custom make you one. The cost to custom make a size was not much more then what their hoods are normally priced at.

Jen

midnight star stables, on 25 October 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:What is the point of blinder hoods?
Then there's the cool factor...obviously not for breed shows or driven dressage, but it's a great look for CDE marathon or recreational driving (esp. with a Hyperbike).

hmm...someone should make a hybrid blinker hood/eared fly mask...or a blinker hood with crocheted ears?

Make sense
default_smile.png
Sounds like a good investment!

Thanks Andrea, Jen, everyone!
default_saludando.gif

susanne said:
Then there's the cool factor...obviously not for breed shows or driven dressage, but it's a great look for CDE marathon or recreational driving (esp. with a Hyperbike).
Hehe, I have to admit this was crossing my mind rather heavily! Kody gets very tired of all the straps and constriction in a blinkered bridle but I don't always want him in the habit of driving open so a blinker hood would be a fun compromise. He gets his nice light bridle with only the bit, headstall and throatlatch and I get him in blinkers so he doesn't get out of the habit!

Leia

Latest posts

Back