Mini with bad teeth? Need advise !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently just purchased a miniature mare that is in foal . I am buying her on payments. She is Registered AMHA and Pinto. The folks just delivered her to me the other day. Here is the problem. Stupid me for not checking the mares teeth or asking if they were nice and straight. Well, after the people dropped her off and I went to hug my new mare and welcome her home I noticed that she had a tooth sticking out of her lower lip a little. Well, I looked inside and here is what I saw: lower 2 teeth, just before the bar I think it's called where there are no teeth, on both sides, they are pointing outwards. Not in a straight up and down way. I emailed the lady and asked about this as I may want to eventually show this mare and she said when the mare was young she had the vet check those teeth and he said they were ok. O.K? How can that be? She said it was just cosmetic and not to worry. But it looks to me to cause a problem later on. Plus wouldent you get docked at shows for bad teeth like that ? Now I dont know what to do. Ask for what money I paid back and give her back the mini, or keep the mini, get the foal and then sell the mare, but who would buy her with teeth like that. I cannot believe I did not ask about the teeth. I always do when looking at a new buy. I did ask her if she could be shown and she did say yes. So, what would you do ? Keep her and hope for the best, or give her back ? I know I may need a vet eventually, but dont want to invest that kind of money just to give her back to the people.

Thanks in advance for the help on this !

Hard to say without photos. How old is the mare? The judges typically only check the bite - the front teeth - to make sure the jaw isn't out of alignment. I've never seen them check the side teeth.

Hard to say without photos. How old is the mare? The judges typically only check the bite - the front teeth - to make sure the jaw isn't out of alignment. I've never seen them check the side teeth.
Exacty, without photos, its hard to judge. While I would expect this info to be disclosed before the sale, this is where thorough photos and or video come into play when going in person is not an option.

If these teeth are baby teeth, sometimes by the time adult teeth grow in, they correct, if they are not drastic.

When one or both teeth marked with a "B" in the diagram are rotated sideways it is referred to as being snaggle toothed, the amount can be very slight or very drastic.

tooth diagram

The mare is 8 years old. Her front bite seems to be good to me, as far as I can tell. Not sure how to ad photo's. I did take pictures of them though if someone can tell me how to add them here !

Thanks !

Thanks Carolyn for the diagram.... that helps to explain what teeth. It is the C teeth on both sides that stick out off to the side.

You are very welcome.

I imagine it is still referred to as snaggle tooth, you'll get more input from others. Your best option is to have an equine dentist and or a very knowledgable vet look at the horse and have them document their findings, then go from there to resolve the issue. Sometimes discussing the matter on an open forum leads to finger pointing and sour grapes, even if it was only the best intentions and for the sake of gaining knowledge that a topic was started.

With that said, take a deep breath, call out a professional, go from there to work towards a resolution and consider it knowledge learned/gained.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get pictures for us?

It's possible she retained caps... sometimes those stick out funny and just need to be pulled to make room for the adult teeth.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back