mini that is too tall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlybabies

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question, my children have a pony who is 41 inches at the withers. My barn owner says that he is an overgrown mini, because he is just over he will be hard to sell, but couldn't he be a shetland pony? What do you call the mini's who are slightly over in height? Thanks for your help.

Anything over 38" is no longer a mini. To be a shetland it has to have a shetland pedigree and papers. Most would call your horse a grade pony if it has no papers. But these horses are normally a great size for kids to learn with and ride

What do you call the mini's who are slightly over in height?
That's something I'd like to know, too. I have a mini gelding, Champy who's around 40 inches. I asked my vet if he would be considered a pony and he told me absolutely not. He's an oversized mini. So we just call him the big boy!
biggrin.gif

If he's well-trained, good with kids, trustworthy and friendly (especially if he's trained to drive), I'd call him an ideal family pony.

WCMHR does have a division for over 38 inches, but I'm not sure how tall that goes...other than that, since the miniature horse is a height registry rather than a breed, per se, it makes no sense to refer to an oversized mini. It is simply an unregistered pony.

Don't forget that minis are measured at the last hair of the mane...I doubt that would account for three inches, though.

If he's well-trained, good with kids, trustworthy and friendly (especially if he's trained to drive), I'd call him an ideal family pony.

WCMHR does have a division for over 38 inches, but I'm not sure how tall that goes...other than that, since the miniature horse is a height registry rather than a breed, per se, it makes no sense to refer to an oversized mini. It is simply an unregistered pony.

Don't forget that minis are measured at the last hair of the mane...I doubt that would account for three inches, though.

Greenaroo said:
What do you call the mini's who are slightly over in height?
That's something I'd like to know, too. I have a mini gelding, Champy who's around 40 inches. I asked my vet if he would be considered a pony and he told me absolutely not. He's an oversized mini. So we just call him the big boy!
biggrin.gif

495763[/snapback]

Well that seems odd to me he is a pony he may not be a papered pony but under 14.2 makes him a pony by definition
smile.gif

He would be a grade pony if he has no papers but that is not so bad. I was amazed that well broke grade ponies brought as much and more at the mini/pony sale here last week! People love the well broke ponies for their children.
yes.gif

ote=heavenlybabies,Nov 6 2005, 04:42 PM]

Hi, I have a question, my children have a pony who is 41 inches at the withers. My barn owner says that he is an overgrown mini, because he is just over he will be hard to sell, but couldn't he be a shetland pony? What do you call the mini's who are slightly over in height? Thanks for your help.

495756[/snapback]

*minis* said:
heavenlybabies said:
Hi, Capall beaq, What is WCMHR? Thanks for the input!!!
495975[/snapback]

See here http://www.wcmhr.com/ for more information. You can call or email. Good luck with your boy!

496015[/snapback]

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question but what will registering him at this organization do? Will he be more valuable? Will he be able to show at their shows?Thanks!

Latest posts

Back