Mini pony and bathing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofia marsella

Reaction score
Hi everyone last year I rescued a mini. He is very good and adorable but there is one problem. He won’t let me give him a bath. He is terrified of all types of water except puddles and rivers wether it’s on a sponge in a watering can and the hose is absolutely terrifying to him. And tips at all will be very helpful thanks

We just got a tankless water heater. There is something about body temperature water; my horses are totally calm with a bath now.
I noticed that when I give a horse its first bath, the force of the water is important. If your hose water is really cold right now, just start at the feet and legs. Don't tie. Hold the halter lead and let the horse move away from the water while you splash it on his feet and legs. He will feel less threatened if he can move away. Follow as far as you can, remove the water and coax him back to the starting point. Try again. I think tying is the worst thing you can do.
Same with a sponge and bucket of water. Don't tie. All that jerking makes him panic and it's really hard on the poll and neck.

I agree that when using a hose starting with the hooves and slowly working up the leg is the best method. Low water pressure to start is also a good thing. And it may take several times to move from the hooves to the leg to the thigh, and so on. Don’t get in a hurry.

If you use the sponge method, start with it just damp and not dripping wet, sometimes it is not the water they don't like it is the tickling feeling of it running off of them. Use warm water. Best place to start is on the lower neck by the shoulder. Introduce the damp sponge a little at a time and give alot of praise when it is accepted and then stop the lesson on a positive note. During the next lesson, add a little more water and do a little larger area on the neck. Give a treat and end on a positive note. Rinse and Repeat :) until you can use a fully loaded sponge.
And Marsha is right, don't tie! Just go with the flow :)

Latest posts

Back