Mini Pins?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
On the dog thread that Jane started, I see a mini pin that LindaL owns. Anyone else have them? I've got some questions.

We are thinking of adding another dog to our house eventually and I want smaller. Hubby does not like Foo-Foo dogs (as he likes to call them). I think this is a small dog that he might like. We need a dog that fits are lifestyle. The dog will of course be an indoor dog. We travel every weekend in the summer to our camp up north on a lake. We are on the boat most of the day and around strangers constantly...on the beach, etc...There are dogs all around the camp (this is a permanent campground), but of course are all tied...we have a lab (11 years old - 110lbs) (way to big for our lifestyle) but he goes with us everywhere and fits in perfect, a mix who is 6 and 45 lbs and also is great for our lifestyle, he loves people and other dogs and to go to the beach and swim.

So the dog we want, has to social...like people and other dogs....like being outside...like to swim or just be on the beach. No long hair.

What kind of personality does the mini pin have? Do you think this would be a situation that a mini pin would do well in?

Is a mini pin a "true" mini of a doberman? Or do they just resemble the doberman? If it's just resemblance that got them their name, what personality do they favor toward - a terrier? If Terriers, are they hyper? Aggressive?

Tell me all you can!

I looked in to getting one at one time. However was told they tend to be a one person dog and dont like kids so much. But I am sure that could be different if they were raised differently.

Personally I love my cocker spainel and wouldnt trade her for any other dog. Even though she is full of energy. She loves people in general. She dont care if they are big or little. She is good with animals as well.

Thanks for the reply Ashley...Mitzy is a doll, but no cocker spaniels. Hubby doesn't care for them, plus we had one once and he was a real stinker. He was a good dog, but tended to be on the aggressive side on somethings. Of course, my father babied him to death and wouldn't get him fixed, he'd let him get away with murder, so most of the problems were not the dogs fault.

I know most dogs personality is gotten by how they were brought up, but of course certain breeds have a tendancy to have certain traits.

We don't have kids, but do encounter them on the lake, so it's good to know that about mini pins and kids.

Anyone else have any comments?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have two a male and female. My female I got as a rescue, she attached herself to my daughter and is a true and loyal companion. I wouldn't have her around smaller children 3ish as she protects with loud barks and will nip. She protects my daughter as that is her human. She does however, get along with other dogs and even cats. Of all the dogs we have (and have a few) she is the one that I will trust to alarm me if there is any intruder and will probably protect all of us to that end.

Now as for the male mini pin, he is smaller, low key, gets along with everyone (including the female mini pin) and is the forever clown. He is not a barker until most the others start or unless the doorbell rings. To me he would be a perfect pet for anyone, older, younger, with children or without. He is loving, loyal, and would let you do anything to him. He loves to be outside as well as curl up beside you and fall asleep. As what you're describing your lifestyle now, I would say my male mini pin would be perfect. He's a tough little dog, he doesn't let size matter, even when it comes to my horses, hence the tip of his ear is gone OOPS, a little too close to them and nip.

So for the overall package, they are great dogs, solid, with a big dog attitude. You just have to choose one with a personality not too agressive as they can be that, as my girl mini. But the boy, everyone loves him, Want him? :lol:

I had a retired show dog for the last 4 years of her life and let me tell you they are alot of fun. Even in there old age. No they are not "true mini dobi's" There are quite a few books out on them. I would say start reading. But thats me the second I'm interested in something I go and find all the books I can I'm a researcher :bgrin If you raise them around kids they are great. Remember the first 8-12 weeks of there lives are the most crucial so what ever you want them to enjoy ie people (tall, short, fat, thin, hairy, hairless, black, purple, green, well you get the idea) introduce then to it all but make sure its always enjoyable. They are more of a one person dog but that doesn't been they will shun the other members out. They are stubborn and take work to potty train but if you are consistant and willing it is possible. They are little dogs with big dog syndrome
default_smile.png
They get cold easily so sweaters and blankets are a must. They like to burrow under blankets so make sure to always have one handy even in the car. Have fun with the dressing up
default_smile.png
We always did and do with Diva the doxie. I'm not sure about water but they will like to sunbathe on the beach
default_smile.png
They definantly aren't like the big dogs your used to but they are alot of fun. I will get one again in the future thats for sure.

I have a min pin. He's 5 years old and has a mind of his own.

He's been raised around kids, so is good with them. He also has a genetic knee joint problem which I guess is common in toy breeds. I would advise you to be sure to go through a reputable breeder when choosing a min pin and make sure they have tests done and that there is no history of knee joint issues in the line. Our dog requires surgery at $700 per knee and he needs both knees. :no: Worst of all he is in constant pain. :no:

The other thing I would suggest is REALLY good training. We were a bit slack so we did not do a good job training him to come. When outdoors, he comes to us if he is within 30', but if he is just a bit further than that, he will look at us and then just go off where he wants because he knows we can't catch him! LOL! From what I've learned, this independent/stubborn streak is common with them, but they can be trained to obey much better.

They are great lap dogs, they love the outdoors as much as any dog. Ours hasn't ever swam, hadn't been present with the opportunity. He couldn't know anyway with his knees. He tends to be barky at strangers, but he's been trained to settle down quickly. Makes a good little "alert" dog (I don't like to use the term "watch" dog because he couldn't defend anything with his size, but he thinks he can!). My guy doesn't favor any one person. If ANYONE, I mean ANYONE, even a stranger, is on the couch, he's right up there snuggling for a warm spot with them! LOL!

They are not a true mini dobe from my understanding. I have fostered another min pin and he was as hyper as could be! Horridly so! LOL!! My min pin probably would be more hyper, but his bad knees hold him back. Mine has never been a digger or anything like that.

One thing they REALLY love is to snuggle uner covers
default_wink.png
: Always have a blanket for them.

There is no Dobermann in Min Pins- they are bred from the Toy Terrier.

They are nice little dogs but I'd rather have a Min Schnauzer as I already have three Dobes and let me tell you.....THEY SHED!!!!!

My MinPin, Gunner, is a lot like the others have said, but since he lived with his breeders til he was 9 mo old (and never shown), he wasnt socialized like he should have been. It has hindered him all his life, which isnt his fault, but I really have to watch him around people he doesnt know (and especially kids), because he will be aggressive and bite. He is better around people when not in "his territory" (like home), but I still watch him carefully. I am HIS person and while he likes the other family members, he always comes to me first. We take him to the beach, but he doesnt like the water. I've never taken him to a river or a lake and I doubt he'd like to swim, but I dont know about other MinPins.

Gunner is most definately a lapdog and MUST be under a blanket all the time...we even have a "bed" for him with his own blankets that he gets "tucked into" at night...LOL!
default_wub.png
: I had to laugh when others have said that their dogs like that too...I hadnt known that that was a MinPin "thing". He does not like to wear any kind of sweater or anything, tho...I tried that since we get kind of cold, windy and rainy here...but he refused to go potty with his sweater on...so now he just hurries to do his business so he can go back inside...lol

Gunner has been debarked (altho he can bark...its a real raspy kind of sound)...but he IS a barker (which is really annoying) and will bark at every person who gets near the house walking by.
default_wacko.png
:

He does love to play and he plays with our black lab, which can be really hilarious... :lol:

Gunner definately has big dog syndrome...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I love my dog, even tho he isnt well socialized and he barks, but he is my "baby" and I wouldnt hesitate to get another MinPin in the future.
default_wub.png
:

As for what you are looking for...not really sure a MinPin would work...maybe, but I'm thinking not...
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou everyone for your replies. I'm torn now...it seems this could be the right dog for us, but maybe not. If I get it young and bring it up well socialized, I'm sure it could work. Barking wouldn't bother me, my lab barks constantly. I will get a book and read more...anyone suggest a good one?

I really like the Shiht-zoo, everyone I've met has a great personality. Even though they don't shed, the long hair...ughh, seems like a pain.

I may just end up going to the pound...problem there being if you don't get a very young puppy, you're unsure of what the dog has been through and may have behavior problems. My mix who we got from "SAFE - save animals from euthenasia" did have behavior problems. He was about 9 months old when we got him, we worked through all the problems...but it was a long long road!

Thankyou everyone for your replies. I'm torn now...it seems this could be the right dog for us, but maybe not. If I get it young and bring it up well socialized, I'm sure it could work. Barking wouldn't bother me, my lab barks constantly. I will get a book and read more...anyone suggest a good one?

I really like the Shiht-zoo, everyone I've met has a great personality. Even though they don't shed, the long hair...ughh, seems like a pain.

I may just end up going to the pound...problem there being if you don't get a very young puppy, you're unsure of what the dog has been through and may have behavior problems. My mix who we got from "SAFE - save animals from euthenasia" did have behavior problems. He was about 9 months old when we got him, we worked through all the problems...but it was a long long road!
I will share my experience...remember this is my experience. I used to do foster for min-pins. So all of mine came to us older and one was abused badly. All of mine LOVED my kids at that time they were 2 and 7. The min pins did fine with my big dogs (chows) and were energetic and protective barkers (alert to anything but would shush when told to). They shed horribly IMO but I am used to big fluffy dogs that blow coat twice a year :bgrin . The one min pin had been horribly abused and never was able to accept strangers coming into the home he would attack and meant it. One of the tiny females we had was a doll baby and eventually went to a permanent home with a young couple and a german shepherd. The only reason I will never have another is the house breaking issues I had with both of those and one other they never housebroke. They could be outside for an hour walk in the door and immediately drop a load
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: I spoke to several breeders about this and was told that it is very very common. So this isn't a breed for me. But they were fun little dogs.

The only reason I will never have another is the house breaking issues I had with both of those and one other they never housebroke. They could be outside for an hour walk in the door and immediately drop a load I spoke to several breeders about this and was told that it is very very common. So this isn't a breed for me. But they were fun little dogs.
Thankyou...you really just helped me make up my mind...this comment is about the third on the subject of housebreaking...I don't think they're the dog for me...thanks everyone...no mini-pin for now.

Mine never really had any housebreaking issues...unless you leave him alone for a long period of time.

The only reason I will never have another is the house breaking issues I had with both of those and one other they never housebroke. They could be outside for an hour walk in the door and immediately drop a load I spoke to several breeders about this and was told that it is very very common. So this isn't a breed for me. But they were fun little dogs.
Thankyou...you really just helped me make up my mind...this comment is about the third on the subject of housebreaking...I don't think they're the dog for me...thanks everyone...no mini-pin for now.
Housebreaking issues are a big problem with mine also. He's 5. The other one we fostered was WAY worse, too. We just thought we were doing something terribly wrong. Didn't realize it might be a breed issue. We've potty trained many dogs, but the min pins have been the only ones who we've had major issues with.

I refer to my min pin as "The Spawn of Satan". We did the socialization classes, etc. I WOULD NOT own another one.

I was a professional handler of show dogs for many years, specializing in German Shepherds. My ex and I showed all breeds except toys, terriers and hounds.

I have not had a dog for many years now and and had been thinking of getting a small dog for a companion and could got to shows---at this years "R" Nationals bought a very nice Min Pin puppy. He was just 10 weeks old and is a total clown. Received lots of socialization at the show and learned very quickly to potty train. Since I work full time, he has been trained to use POTTY PADs in the house and does very well. He love his cats as I have 1 full time house cat and 2 that are inside/outside. I have 4 granddaughter ranging from the age of 2 to 9 and he loves to have them come play. He takes his naps on your lap and sleep under the covers at night and he too does not like to wear a sweater or coat.

He loves his various toys from pigs ears, squeak toys to little rope tugs--right now he has taken to chewing on a old dish brush w/plastic handle that he found somewhere--don't want him ingesting plastic so have to throw that away--almost 6 months old now and teething.

Only thing I find with him is he is somewhat afraid to travel, but he has only gone in the truck with me once so far. This holiday week will be a real proving ground for him as I'll be going to my son's in-laws for Thanksgiving and he will be going along and they have 2 Yorkies--will see how his earlier socialization with other dogs during Nationals was remembered. He is almost old enough to start his formal obedience training so that he can be a good citizen in the community (horse shows) and if he should ever get free from me he will know that "COME" means just that--right now he thinks that mean take off for the hills--needless to say he never goes outside unless on his leash.

Min Pins are not related to the Dobie at all and are in fact the older breed. They are called the "KING OF THE TOYS" and come by that honestly.

For anyone considering getting a dog, be sure and do your homework and go to the AKC website and look up the breed you are interested in. It will give you a very good insite into the breed's personality, health problems, and socialization needs. Most of all help out our overpopulation--SPAY OR NEUTER unless the animal is a good show animal. Also helps those that have been abandoned--check out the various breed rescue organizations but most of all buy from a reputable breeder.

Sorry--didn't mean to get long winded.

I have a 6 lb minpin that is 8 years old and i love her! she has spunk and vitality and lots of get up and go. she is good with kids. we teach them how to pick her up and hold her and she is fine. she probably barks more than i like but she is protecting her people. she is attatched to many people in my family, not just a one person dog. she is so much fun! she thinks she is a "big" dog asnd she starts tussels with my schipperke! jennifer :saludando:

Latest posts

Back