Mini mare is possibly pregnant

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying on boo

Reaction score
I got this girl about a month ago the previous owner said she was in with a stallion from June 26 (2020) to August 10 (2020) so possibly pregnant. Should I be able to feel a kick from the foal at this time in the pregnancy? The previous owner also said that she had one other foal before but sadly it died at 17 days :( they did not know why the foal died but they were living in very poor conditions. We have been treating her as if she is in foal. What is the best at home test I can do to find out if she is pregnant?

Can't help you with a home preg test. We either have an ultra sound done or start WATCHING/FEELING at feeding time. She should be far enough along (6 months) that you could feel some movement or a "flutter" when your mare is eating, or just after. In another month the movements will be more obvious. Put your hands on her sides towards her flanks.
When in doubt, it's always wise to treat them as if they ARE. So, good for you.

She also has a runny nose, is that something I should be worried about. When we first got her we noticed she had the runny nose but were hoping it was because of the bad conditions she was in (very tiny stall with her and a Shetland very little place to move, deep manure everywhere, and no shelter) but her nose still hasn't cleared up :(

Depends on what the runny stuff looks like. Is it white? Yellow? Or Greenish? If it's white, don't worry too much, but when it's thick and yellow or greenish, you'll need have a vet check her and probably put her on an antibiotic. Have you taken her temp?

She's very cute! I've done the is she/isn't she a couple of times now with a very long foal watch last year. It's very frustrating but worth treating them like they are and watching and being ready in case. If your at all worried about the snotty nose or she has a temp I would call your vet to be safe. I lost one of my little ones a couple of weeks ago to some kind of bug (very fast and unexpected and under vet care) and I'm a little paranoid right now. Don't panic about it just be careful.

I agree with everyone to treat her as is, until you know exactly if she's in foal or not. Not a massive fan of the home pregnancy tests. I recommend getting a vet out to test her. Good Luck & I hope shes in foal for you :)

Does anyone know or have they ever used raspberry leaves during horse pregnancy, if you have how do you give it to them?

I've never given Raspberry leaves before so cant comment.

If you think your mare is pregnant I would be inclined to put her on a good quality mare and foal feed. The dates in your opening post would be indicate a May -June foal ( if she's pregnant).

Latest posts

Back