Mini Mare holding onto foal WAY too long

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levi_5219

Reaction score
Hi there, So my mini mare who is about 13 years old was pasture bred in 2021 and was expected to have had her foal in July. Still has not. She has been slightly bagged up and has had clear fluid coming from her tits(prepping for milk) for quite some time. We got her preg checked in September to see what was going on and was confirmed pregnant with a hoof diameter of 1.5"....so she should've had it by now, She shows no signs of discomfort or anything out of the ordinary. I have had one foal out of her already and it went great so im confused why this is going the way it is. Just seeing if anyone has any info on this. Thanks in advance.

Was she pasture bred or hand bred? Share a fence with the stallion? Mini stallion or mini jack? Share a fence with the sire? Any ungelded colts or geldings on the property? Was the foal confirmed alive at the time? With friends who have had their mares ultrasounded and checked for a due date guess the vets have been MONTHS off. So I don’t always go by that.

Hi and welcome! Great, she shows no signs of discomfort. Hope she'll have her foal already.

Hi, Welcome
How does this pregnancy compare to the first one with her? Did she go passed her expected delivery date then? I hope all is well.

How long was she left in with the stallion for? Some mares have clear liquid in their udder always - more likely if they'd been bred previously. It does not mean necessarily that they're pregnant. But I'm glad to hear you're watching for colour change. That will be your big indicator of when baby's coming, if she is in fact still in foal. Is it possible she aborted at some time and you didn't see? I had a mare abort twins at 6 months, middle of winter. I've also had mares confirmed in foal (embryo stage) absorb and not produce a foal. Breeding can be really tricky.
Any chance your mare has had exposure to fescue (it's a thing grass commonly used for lawns.) There is a fungus that naturally grows in it that can cause a mare to not carry.

Anyways, I really hope things go well for you and your mare! I love seeing pictures of tiny baby foals!

Hi there, So my mini mare who is about 13 years old was pasture bred in 2021 and was expected to have had her foal in July. Still has not. She has been slightly bagged up and has had clear fluid coming from her tits(prepping for milk) for quite some time. We got her preg checked in September to see what was going on and was confirmed pregnant with a hoof diameter of 1.5"....so she should've had it by now, She shows no signs of discomfort or anything out of the ordinary. I have had one foal out of her already and it went great so im confused why this is going the way it is. Just seeing if anyone has any info on this. Thanks in advance.
What happened with your mare and foal? How did it all pan out?

Was she pasture bred or hand bred? Share a fence with the stallion? Mini stallion or mini jack? Share a fence with the sire? Any ungelded colts or geldings on the property? Was the foal confirmed alive at the time? With friends who have had their mares ultrasounded and checked for a due date guess the vets have been MONTHS off. So I don’t always go by that.
I can attest to this. Friend had her mini ultrasounded and the vet said "any day now." She foaled 4 months later.

Latest posts

Back