Mini mare due end of August and question on foal color"" UPDATE page5 more color questions once agai

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips. I will kept after him.
default_smile.png
Dreama bit at me and kicked at me a couple times then was quick to learn not a good idea. This little fellow is more persistent and stubborn. Just like his momma. She also has a stubborn streak.

You know I need to look at Dolly's udders. I haven't seen Dreama nurse for awhile. Hopefully a week apart will do the trick. I might give it a try next week. I think it is going to bother me more then them. I hate to see my first baby growing up so quick.

Ladies Ladies I need color help yes again.
default_smile.png
Both my foals are determined to teach me lots. lol ! I guess they heard me say I am not planning on breeding again. My colt is now changing color. I thought he was a buckskin like daddy but.....I think he is going to be a smoky black..I was told he also has a slight chance of being a smoky grullo but I am not sure on that. He has the blue gray eyes that some buckskin are born with plus I read so are smoky blacks..I guess this is why I could not think of a name for him yet. lol ! Someone higher up was trying to tell me wait to see his color. Here is some pictures I took today. He is 12 days old.

12DayOldColt.jpg

Colt12DayOld.jpg

SideShotColt12DaysOld.jpg

Not sure you can see to well in this picture but he looks black all over under his light coat color.

UnderCoatColt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If he doesn't have a distinct dorsal stripe, then he's not a grullo. He sure looks buckskin, but perhaps he's going to end up a rich dark buckskin, instead of a golden buckskin. What color are both parents, you said sire is a buckskin, but what shade? If you own both parents, please share pictures, it could help.

Oh, and he's terribly cute.

Trust me, the color changes a lot.

One of our colts looked like a standard buckskin, now at almost 5 months he looks brown. Was told by the nice people on the Miniature forum he is a brown buckskin. My business partner, his owner, doesn't like the word brown. She says chocolate buckskin.

One of our fillies is still a guess. When she was born, she looked like a dunskin with sabino. Now she is turning silver(possible silver dapple). Mare was bred to a smoky grullo(homozygous black) once. My stallion(silver smoky black) got out and covered her twice. We think the second stallion is the father, but we will have to test. She is the same age as the above talked about brown buckskin. Here's newborn pics and resent pics.

SANY0595.JPG

SANY0971.JPG

SANY0604.JPG

Diva 1.JPG

Sorry Chandab I don't own Daddy. He was a medium tan with dark points. Momma is a real dark bay. She was born a normal red looking bay with black points but darkened with age. I will attach a picture of her below. Plus on first page of this post is a prego pic of her taken shortly before she delivered. Oh Magic Marker I would be tickled if he was a brown (chocolate) buckskin. I think they are very pretty ! Is brown or chocolate also what some call a sooty buckskin ?

Good news today little colt never kicked at me once ! Hurray ! He also came right to me in the pasture.
default_smile.png
He did bite but hay can't ask for perfect at 12 days old. lol !!

This is momma in her winter fluff. Sorry I don't have a whole lot of pics of her yet.

MissIda2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As Chanda said, without the "dun" characteristics, he can't be grullo.

It's hard to distinguish Smoky Blacks, since 1 copy of the cream gene has little effect on the single black hairs. It's hard to know without doing genetic testing on whether a horse is a smoky black, a sooty buckskin or a sooty dark bay. But, if dad was a buckskin "1 cream gene" and with the birth presentation of an obvious buckskin colored baby, I'm leaning towards a darker, rich color buckskin, but time will tell, once we can see those legs and if he developed the dark points.

Crossing a buckskin on a bay gives you a 43.95% chance of a buckskin or a bay -- with a smokey black being only a 2.93% chance. He's beautiful, so we'll either have to watch as he sheds that foal coat, or you can have him color tested for $25/test and know for sure. Sometimes, genetically, horses are found to be quite different than their visual appearance. So, if you're going to breed him, you might want to know for sure, but if it doesn't matter, then just enjoy him, and we'll watch how he changes!!

This is fun and exciting watching both my foals changing. No plans on breeding. I do plan on getting him gelded and hope he will make a future cart pony. I hope he does stay a buckskin of any shade but if not he is still a keeper.
default_smile.png
He has the prettiest color eyes right now. They are blue gray but I know they will change. From reading online I found out blue gray eyes are common for buckskin and smokey blacks. That is where I got to thinking he might be a smokey black plus with the blue/black looking on his face after him shedding some but only time will tell.
default_smile.png
This all makes me even more excited for next spring to see what both foals will shed out to be !
default_smile.png
Its like Christmas over and over...
default_smile.png

Snapped a few new pictures to share. Little buckskin colt will be a month old on Monday. Can't believe its been a month ! I think he has a name Co-Pilot.
default_smile.png
He is much better at not kicking at me.
default_thumbup.gif
He does still like to taste me at times.
default_giveup.gif
He is very hard to get pictures of these days. He likes to guard my boots.

Dreama is now 18 wks old. She is doing Great at haltering !
default_yes.gif
Will be weaning her very soon. I have been separating her and mom at feed times. She keeps getting more spots every time I look her over.
default_smile.png

He spotted me ! lol !

Pilot4wksOld.jpg

Yep ! Loves my boots. He tries to teeth on them.

PilotLickingBoot.jpg

Only time I can get a good shot. He is a chunk ! Momma feeds him good ! He looks fluffy but trust me he is solid.

Ida&Colt.jpg

Trying to get the shots needed to register her.

Dreama18wksold.jpg

lol ! Getting the stink eye. She was getting tried of standing around for her pictures.

SideDreama18wksOld.jpg

What a little chubby!!! So darn cute!! And look how grown up Dreama looks!!

I know my Little Dreama is growing up so darn fast !
default_sad.png
Co-Pilot is so ornery ! I thought Dreama being my first foal was ornery but I was wrong. Co-Pilot gets upset at his mom and literally throws tantrums..lol !

Latest posts

Back