Mini mare due end of August and question on foal color"" UPDATE page5 more color questions once agai

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh many congratulations!! Well done Miss Ida - and well done you for a quick save!!
default_thumbup.gif

He's a very handsome little lad! Keep the pictures coming please.
default_yes.gif

CONGRATULATIONS ON A HANDSOME LITTLE ONE!! Great save!!

Look forward to more pictures of this handsome boy!! GOOD JOB MISS IDA!!

Thanks everybody !
default_smile.png
I am so pleased with both of my first ever foals. I was planning on selling this foal but.... that was before he arrived. He is a keeper! Sorry honey we will need another stall in the barn.
default_whistling.gif

Sorry Eagle Ring no video of my crazy mad dash
default_biggrin.png

I need to get some new dry pictures to share. He is much lighter in color today and his black points are much more noticeable. His eyes look blue ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some dry pictures today
default_smile.png
He sure loves to catch air ! lol ! He is a bit more shy with us then Dreama was at this age. I need to get new pics of Dreama. She has shed and is a different color now and has spots all over even on her face now.
default_smile.png

LookAtMe.jpg

RunningColt2Daysold.jpg

NewBuckskinColt2daysold.jpg

MyNewColt2daysold.jpg

UpClose2daysold.jpg

Yummy.jpg

He's a handsome boy for sure!!

And YES -- I would LOVE to see SPOTS!!!! Pictures......
default_please.gif

Love those last pics - he really is a happy chappy isn't he - handsome and very cute too!!

Thanks Everybody ! I feel so blessed that every thing went smoothly with both delivery's and both foals are what I hoped for.
default_smile.png

Had little scare last night with the colt. He was straining to pee over and over with only little coming out. Thank god ! it ended up being he was constipated and nothing wrong with his water pipe. After baby enema he was back to his self and no more straining. He is a stinker however. He wants to mouth me all the time. He also likes to kick. He double barrel kicked me in the arm and threaten to do it 3 more times. I gave him a quick slap on the rump every time. He soon decided that wasn't a good thing to do. Till today he kicked at me again but with only one leg. He is a handful. His nickname is Little Devil. lol ! Still need a name for him. Thinking something sweet and nice so maybe he will grow into it. lol ! Are colts normally more ornery this way ?

I got a couple pics of Dreama to show how her color has changed. She is even getting spots on her face now they look like freckles. She is learning to be a big girl and halter to and from the barn. She is getting more and more independent in the pasture and leaving mom to hang out with my gelding Renegade. She will be 4 months on the 11th. I plan on weaning her then. Do you all do it cold turkey ? I could separate her and momma at night in their own stalls and turn them out in the day time together ? Or do you all recommend cold turkey and no Momma in pasture either ? For how long will they need to be separated ?

LittleDreamaAlmost4monthsold.jpg

HeadshotDreama.jpg

LittleMissDreama.jpg

Couldn't leave out Little Devil.

Ida'sColt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE THOSE SPOTS!!!!!! She's looking great!!

I always do "cold turkey" and never had any problems with it. Is she still nursing quite a bit, or just occassionally?

LOVE that little devil!!

We always do cold turkey too, but we dont wean until ours are around 6 months. Have you got a companion for her - someone who will put up with or even join in with her foaly antics? It makes weaning time much easier.
default_yes.gif

Hi Gals, Miss Dreama is hardly nursing at all. I have been turning her and momma out with my 2 yr old gelding for awhile now. Dreama and him are good buddies. Dreama even follows him in the pasture out of site of momma. I was going to wait a bit to wean but momma is a bit thin. Vet said she would be that way till I weaned the foal. He also said after 3 months the mare's milk really doesn't have much nutritional value. I did not know that. I attached a couple pics of Dreama and Renegade. Renegade even showed her how to drink from the creek that feeds into are pond. I just happened to be outside and got to watch him show her. It was cute !
default_smile.png

Any suggestions on dealing with Little Devil colt. He loves to kick at me and bites everything. I have been giving him a quick slap on the rump when he kicks out at me and tapping him with my finger on the nose or chin when he bites. I also have been wrapping my arms around him and holding him till he relaxes. He is a stinker ! Is it more common for the colts to be like this ?

Renegade and Dreama

Renegade&Dreama.jpg

Here they are right after Renegade showed Dreama how to get a drink.

Renegade&MissDreama.jpg

This year, our filly is the way "little Devil" is. I don't think it's just gender related.

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you are doing. Does he have a lot of whiskers? Our babies this year have really long ones. If you get time w/o "jumping on" your little dude, when he bites at you grab whiskers and just kinda hold them or pull. Try not to hit him or yank - but it works wonders. Another way is to have him "run into" body parts. For big horse foal and some of the larger ponies, an elbow works well. Otherwise, your knee? He looks sooo tiny...

Can you kick him back - preferably just like a horse would? (with your "butt" to him and kicking backwards). You do have to connect at least the first couple of times for it to mean something to him. After that, just threatening may/should work... Though it sounds like he will keep trying. Honestly, it's harder for me to do that now than 15 years ago - but it works.

Other than that, I've just been very watchful (sometimes that's sooo trying, LOL). As he aims, pushing his butt away from you shoves him off balance and they get tired of it after a while...

Yep! We often get 'little devils' born here too - girls as well as boys! We mostly follow what Paula says - pushing them away with a hand on the butt followed by a clap of the hands to send them scurrying off. A lot of foals do bite for some reason - I think it is because of normal foal behaviour - if they are with other young companions, they tend to launch themselves at one of their young friends biting or grabbing at them before wheeling away to encourage them to come play. They soon seem to realise that humans dont join in with the playing game and give up! For those few that continue with the biting game, a gentle tap on the nose (not the face) once they are a bit older, together with a sharp 'NO!' and a step forward into the youngster's space, usually seems to call a halt to that activity!

Perfect Anna! That's what I've always done, too.

With weaning, since she's really not nursing much, I'd just take her from momma, and give momma a week to dry up, and then you may actually be done. Such a good mommy teaching her to drink something else. I had 2 of my mares completely wean their babies somewhere between the 3rd and 4th months. I went to pull the two to wean them at 4 months, and found that neither momma had any milk at all and were completely dried up. Back into the herd they went! Guess they got tired of nursing their babies. But the babies were just fine, fat and sassy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back