Mini mare due end of August and question on foal color"" UPDATE page5 more color questions once agai

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never2Mini

Reaction score
Hello how is everyone ? My Mini Mare Miss Ida is getting close ! She is due around the end of August.
default_smile.png
Wanted to share a new picture of her belly. She has been rubbing her bum her poor tail head looks bad.

pregoIda.jpg MissIdaprego.jpg

Some might remember my appy filly Dreama born back in May. She is doing really well ! This foal stuff is all new to me. I am getting ready to send in her application to be registered to AMHA & AMHR but not sure what color to register her.
default_smile.png
Hope you can see her color well enough in these pictures. If you click on picture they show up a little better.
default_smile.png

ButtDreama.jpg

Dreamafaceshot.jpg

HeadshotDreama.jpg

DreamaA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help you with your foal's coat color but I couldn't pass up telling you - she is ADORABLE!!!!! I wanna hug her
default_smile.png

Hard to tell how much pattern is there. Could you do a side shot so we can see where her spots go up to, please? Does she have any spots on her face or neck??

So far, I'd register her as a chestnut appaloosa -- and we'll expand on the "markings" once I can see her body and her spots,

It obvious she's going to grey out, so you'll actually be left with a gray/white horse with spots!! She'll be beautiful, as she is now.

Can't wait for more pictures!

Thanks Horseapples. She loves to be hugged.
default_smile.png

Diane I will get some better pictures. I was thinking she was a bay. Its hard to see in those shots her mane is almost black. She was born a mousey like color. Hopefully I can get some better lighting tomorrow.
default_smile.png

She looks darker in these pictures - the others gave her more of a red sheen, so I was thinking chestnut/sorrel. You said her mane and tail were black? Does she have those telltale black socks that bays have?

She's such a pretty little girl!! And how far do her spots go? On her neck or face?

What color were mom and dad? Do you have pictures of them we can see? I just LOVE those spots!!

Last edited:
I looked earlier but didn't post. While I didn't notice any dark legs, the dark tail said Bay to me, so that's my vote.

No good with colours, but have to agree that she is a gorgeous little girl.
default_yes.gif

I also think we need some new pics of Miss Ida and all her updated info as she looks as though she is getting very close!

So we'll go with bay, but I'm still waiting to hear about the spots for the patterning. I see spots on her butt, and it looks like maybe on her sides?

Thanks Gals.
default_smile.png
She is the apple of my eye.
default_smile.png

Hubby promised to help me get some better side shots here shortly.
default_smile.png
Her legs are not black but still a mousey looking color. She has spots up to around her wither area. No spots on her chest or face other then her big star and stripe. Let me go look for some pictures of momma. I do have some of daddy but he is not mine. Can I post them here ? He is a few spot appy that has greyed. I was told by one person he was a bay and another told me he was black before greying.
default_frusty.gif
Her dam is registered as a grey. I am not sure that is right. I know in the Mountain horse world she would be registered as chocolate with flax mane & tail.

I hope Miss Ida's foal is easier to tell its color.
default_smile.png
She is a dark bay breed to a buckskin.
default_smile.png

Here are a few pictures of Dolly Dreama's Dam.
default_smile.png

Dollyrigthside1.jpg

dollyfront.jpg

Girls.jpg

This one was shortly after I got her last summer. She was sun bleached a bit.

ResizedDolly.jpg

Here are a couple more of Dreama. I took these yesterday. They still are hard to see her color but they are a couple of my favorites of her.
default_smile.png
Hubby should be home soon so I can hopefully get some better shots but its not looking good outside. Looks like it wants to rain. Grr !

SweetDreama2monthsold.jpg

sweetDreama.jpg

Dreama2anhalfmonths.jpg

Sorry no new pictures today. It rained and is so dreary. I did look at her more closely today. Diane you might be right with chestnut. Her legs are still the mousey looking but have a bit more red cast to them. Just the other regular size foals I had experience with in the past that were sorrel/chestnut were born red with cream legs and belly not that mousey color she was. I don't know she has me scratching my head.
default_smile.png

Since the dam is a silver black, its possible the foal is a silver bay (often they look like sorrel/chestnut but have mousy colored legs).

Well, mom registered as a grey is certainlly wrong. As Chanda says, she is obviously a beautiful silver black, therefore, if daddy was truly a bay before greying out, then she's most probably a silver bay. And with spots to her withers (more than just a blanket), but with her dark neck, legs and head, you could call her a near leopard. She's going to grey out, and will be very pretty when she's almost all white with just her spots showing!

A very pretty young lady, indeed!

Well, looks like the other color "gurus" have answered. I don't know about the appaloosa coloring - but I was going to suggest silver bay on the little filly and silver black on her dam. I have always hated combining "true grey" with mistakenly called "grey" & "chestnut" (silvers, silver bays & "chocolates") - but color is the "icing" and since your "cake" is so awesome - can't say she's hated in any way, shape or form! She's a little beauty regardless of her mature color.

I love the silver coloring and WOW, when you combine it with appaloosa or paint markings - OOOHHH LALA!!

***Added - I now have a pasture full of solid silvers and silver tobiano Shetlands - some of which are double registered as Miniature Horses. Want a silver overo Shetland and then would love a couple of silver appaloosa mini's, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gals..I didn't think grey was right for momma..Sorry no new pictures today its raining and still dreary. Snapped a couple in the barn but they are harder to see then the ones I already posted. Maybe tomorrow. I am excited to watch her change over the years.
default_smile.png
She is such a in your pocket type. Today she got her feet rasped for the first time.
default_smile.png

Now to sit back and see what my other mare has.
default_smile.png
She is looking real loose in her tail head area but not bagging up really yet. She is suppose to be due around the end of August. I just moved her into the stall with the camera today and moved Dolly and Dreama out. Now I can't watch little Dreama from the house.
default_sad.png
Would love to have a camera in all their stalls.
default_smile.png

Miss Ida had her foal this morning at 10:30 am. It was a text book delivery !

I turned my Mini's out for the day and went on some errands. Coming home back my driveway I noticed Ren first looking down at something. Then I seen it was Ida laying down ! Ren was giving her support. He was standing at her head and kissing her. Then I seen right behind Ida was the foal still in bag just trying to sit up ! I think I jumped out of the van before Hubby totally stopped. Ran out to the pasture to them in a dress kicking off heels as I went. lol ! The bag was torn but still on foals head. Down I went on my knees and pulled it off ! Out popped a gorgeous buckskin !..Its a Boy !

IdasColtAug302013.jpg

JustStanding.jpg

NewColtIdas.jpg

Ida&Foalnewborn.jpg

Latest posts

Back