Mini Maiden Mare due to foal.....hopefully soon??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has been ultrasounded but the vet said 'that' a lot of amneotic fluid." but we didnt see a baby.....athough I just got done throwing hay and I know that was something moving inside besides her guts....

My theory is that she is carrying it high......

Yes. Thank you Diane! Very much helpful!......certainly hope for a little one inside!...It 'looks' like there is a baby in there that is just not 'crisp' yet.....lol.....

Great discription Diane, and I agree with you that she does look 'slab-sided' in the first pictures, but then, usually when the foal has positioned itself enough to create this look, the mare's tummy shows more of a dropped position, and that seems to be lacking in the final picture.

But I too am hoping that she is carrying high up as some maidens can do.
default_yes.gif

Great discription Diane, and I agree with you that she does look 'slab-sided' in the first pictures, but then, usually when the foal has positioned itself enough to create this look, the mare's tummy shows more of a dropped position, and that seems to be lacking in the final picture.

But I too am hoping that she is carrying high up as some maidens can do.
default_yes.gif
Ditto, well described as always Diane. I've got the same concern (and hope!) as Anna though. At this stage you shouldn't be seeing much movement from the foal as they are pretty much out of room.

I have a brain puzzle for anyone who wants to try......

If the vet ultrasounded her in April and said 'there's a lot of amneotic fluid'.......that has to mean she is pregnant correct?

If the amneotic fluid is inside the amneotic sac.....

the amneotic sac is inside the uterus....

his hand was doing the 'up there with the ultrasound device'.....

And pics have been 50/50 convincing.......

I'm convincing myself to take her to the vet on my next off day (wednesday I belive) for another verified 'ultrasound' and to actually 'see a baby'.....not just a lot of amneotic fluid.....

Diane, you are a mine of information, and thank goodness you are for the sake (and 'learning') for all of us. I was wondering what the vet meant by all the fluid he found, but as we dont test our mares in any way, I'm completely a novice over what is right and what is wrong!

Providing your little girl is happy to travel, I think it would be a good idea to get her seen again by someone who can give you an answer once and for all.
default_yes.gif

Good luck!

praying for a little baby in that tummy!! she is a confusing one for sure! I'm hoping she isn't being tricky like my girl was
default_sad.png
its so hard getting so excited for a new baby and then there not being one
default_sad.png

I would definitley get another check over from your vet
default_smile.png
good luck!

I am going to get a vet check on her again. But this time, I want to ask what type of equipment they have for 'ultrasound' because one vet didnt have the ability to 'print' out a pic (not that there was anything to see!) but I have seen another vet go to the horse farm and bring the ultrasound machine with ability to print out pics.......THAT would be nice....

And I just realized that the first vet who I took her to for the ultrasound.....has a habit of giving mild sedatives to my horses on procedures very minor.....of which i think one of them certainly did not need it....I dont have very good trust in that vet's ability of large animals......good for shots but nothing much more....even my farrier agrees that he is not much good for large animals.....I just hope I dont have to go 3 hours away to the State vet hospital.....

so Diane.....my next question.....IF there is a scenario which you described, COULD she pop positive on a pregnancy test due to hormone levels? (not ultrasound, but actual stick test)

Leavin the camera on today, but there is a small chance of thunderstorms......if the camera is off for some reason, power flickered....

If you want to do a pregnancy test, I would suggest you get a Wee Foal 120 urine test (Google it for a suplier). Very inexpensive, non-invasive and - unlike the Wee-Foal 38 - I have had good results with it. This test will NOT give a false positive if the mare is not pregnant as some hormone tests will, because it tests for something produced by the fetus. It works from 120-300 days gestation though, and not sure if it will work beyound that. Don't try to use a human pregnancy test on mares; a friend found out the hard way that they don't work..

Best test at this point would be some type of ultrasound. Our vet never sedates for an US and rarely do we even use a twitch. Good luck!

And Diane - wow, you are just a wealth of information. So glad I dropped in on this thread!

So an update.....going to haul her 20-ish miles to the vet's office for a second ultrasound and bloodwork TOMORROW....and whatever else to see what's going on.....

(or rather what's NOT going on!!!)

No change in her....no dropped belly, no milk bar.....

When I talked to the vet, he said he remembers doing the ultrasound and the general synopsis of the conversation from today is "she is right on top of her due date. If she doesn't have that baby by tomorrow, bring her in"

So, tomorrow is the day.....hopefully.....and "positive" news is best....better news is she is healthy but no baby.....worst news is she and/or baby are in trouble....

everyone at work asks me every day....did she have her baby yet?......I keep telling them 'nope....If she did, I wouldn't be here right now!"......so now they are all waiting for tomorrow's verdict.........

Thank you for the well wishes!.....I'm loading up and moving out shortly.....scared of the result...........very much so.....dont know why.....perhaps just 11 months+ of hope.....and dont want it to be 'shot down'......

default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
Sending prayers that the results are positive as I know how frustrating it is to get this far only to have no baby, I went there last year with one of my girls. After quite a few foals she still managed to fool me
default_frusty.gif

update......

default_thumbdown.gif

default_new_let_it_all_out.gif

default_no.gif

:arg!

He did not charge the 2nd ultrasound....which was awesome!....(i've been a client for a few years...lol).....He AND his assisstant gloved up to see what there could be to see....his hand/arm was a tad on the large side so thats why his helper tried 'her hand' at it....but the US just showed lots of organs and he said with this one and the first one given it's unclear results, she is likely not.

I asked him what the chances are the baby could be hanging out high up in her rib cage, he said pretty good chance but neither him nor helper 'felt' baby kick or any sort....

Also asked about blood test......price of $110 and 3-5 business days turnaround.......did not do that.....not for that price.....had it been half that price, sure.....

BUT.......I will keep a glimmer of hope for another month......

Vet did say that he has had a mare come in who he did not believe she was pregnant that dropped that night.....

She could be one of thoes that shows nothing but suddenly decide to pop....

Like Diane says, I would have thought that 'something' should have been visible, especially at this late stage of her pregnancy, and I'm sorry that your vet still couldn't give you a conclusive answer.

Still, we are happy to wait and hope - and to enjoy your company here and on the other threads.
default_yes.gif

well, I still wonder why the 'lopsidedness' of her belly in some of thoes pics

.....why she frequently 'rolled' moreso than the others when I was in the pasture

......why she more often 'nipped' at her belly.....even when there was no fly

and her 'milk bar' is much more 'relaxed' than the other mares in the field.....

I guess that is my little 'glimmer of hope' that still remains......

perhaps I am just not ready to
default_giveup.gif
(give up) just yet.....

I guess that is my little 'glimmer of hope' that still remains......

perhaps I am just not ready to
default_giveup.gif
(give up) just yet.....
I totally understand not wanting to give up. I have two mares that were exposed last year, they still haven't foaled, they were on pasture with the stallion, so I still have time before I should totally give up. I'd love to have a foal from each, so only time will tell.

Sorry to hear the test was inconclusive, and I certainly understand wanting that glimmer of hope.

Just remember there is always next year
default_smile.png

so sorry to hear that it is still inconclusive
default_sad.png

hoping you get a little baby still, but as Diane and Anna have said I would have thought that by now you would see something as the foal should be pretty much to term... :s

Latest posts

Back