Mini Maiden Mare due to foal.....hopefully soon??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiz Minis Fan

Reaction score
Hello to all fellow Mini horse lovers/owners/moms/dads!

I became a member some time ago but have been hiding low. No foal cam is available but i hope this is the correct chat board pertaining to 'foaling'. I am a member of another chatboard and post on occasion (NC Horse News - screen name is the same on both). Please let me know if this needs to be posted in another forum as I will gladly do so!

My background: first mini a gelding I brought down here using a wonderful horse transportation company in summer of 2009. He is my noble steed and has taught me many things with horses. Then by summer 2010, a mare who is his sidekick all day, every day. He needed a friend to help him pull wagons and carts so he 'owns' her.....so he thinks!
default_whistling.gif
Then came 2 more ladies. An adult mare (who is bred) and a filly at 3.5 months of age when we picked her up. My gelding acts like this
default_impatient.jpg
all day long if he is ever away from even one of his gals for any reason.... (yes, he was castrated at the earliest possible time... he probably thinks I got the gals for 'him'.)

My mini mare, Tiz Chantilly (Tilly is barn name) is due to foal.....well....soon. She was placed in the pen with the stallion for the month of July and 4 days into August of 2011. Verified in foal in April 2012 via ultrasound. The vet said 'that's a lot of amneotic fluid! She has to be in foal with that much amneotic fluid!" but he could not see a foal in the ultrasound due to the amneotic fluid.

I have been reading up (on the internet and here too!!!) and consulting with my mentors where all 4 of the brood came from about foaling and the what to do's and not do's when/if I catch her in the act. My mentors are Tiz A Miniature Horse Farm in New Hampshire and they have been in the business for more than 25 years specializing in Minis.

All pictures are from 25 June 2012 in the evening. She has been showing NO signs of 'any day now', no milk, no soft tail head.....some occasional 'biting at the belly' but that is sometimes attributed to flies/bugs. (which I resolve nightly with fly spray) Some rolling but not excessive to show concern. I am aware of the milk test with pool strips but have no milk to do such testing with!!!!....

This is her and my first 'foaling' experience.

Any thoughts as to why she is 'baking' this little one to perfection and taking her sweet time?

IMG-20120625-00138.jpg

IMG-20120625-00139.jpg

IMG-20120625-00141.jpg

IMG-20120625-00144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your future little one. Tilly sure is a cute little Mama. You are in the same position as I was last year. I was/am a newbie too and felt like I was waiting and waiting and waiting forever with my first mare.....i feel your pain/anticipation!! I can assure you that little Tilly will show you her cargo only when shes got her completely finished from head to hoof. Im too new to comfortably give you ideas on when little tilly will show you whats shes cooking but you will find that Diane, Anna and crazy Renee in Italy will ask you for lots more pictures of all your horses and not just Tilly, your dogs, cats, cows, husbands and inlaws....they will take all those pictures in their very private crystal ball and mix them all up!!! then I think they all drink some wine to help them think better, anna may or not speak of Narcotics....then they will ask you for even more pictures and I think they drink some more wine ( I cant swear to it though ) Anyway after a bit of time they have this real secret Auntie meeting and thats when they let the filly fairy out of the cage. They will let you know where the filly fairy was last time they saw her ( they have a special fairy GPS system ) and thats when its imperative that you stay very close to Tilly 24/7. just between you and me....stay close...very close to tilly at this time. Diane has been known to try to steal ( she doesnt use the word steal though ) anything with spots or crazy colors, Miss Renee is going to beg you for more and more pictures and videos and our lovely Anna will want to try to put some crazy name to your little one.....welcome to the 3 Aunties Foaling Forum. I'll be waiting and reading!!!

P.S. I would love to see some pictures of your Santa parades and your driving minis!!

heidi ( hey i dont think you mentioned your name?....tilly's mom?

Ooooppps....I was typing when diane was typing....Im in big trouble now....well I didnt mean to have a bit of an attitude or be rude.....so much for getting a filly fairy sent to florida next year!!! LOL

Thank You Castle Rock Miniatures and LittleRibbie for the wonderful welcome! I will say that if there were to be any 'gritt my teeth' statements, the reply would only be 'constructive criticism' but always remember, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! I will do my best to answer your questions and a picture of the wonderful stallion as well!

She is 32 inches tall and Grulla pinto on her AMHA paper.

Dates are accurate. We arrived there August 4th and she was removed from the stallions pen that morning.

No foal movement noticed but perhaps direct front or rear pictures showing belly protruding from her sides might indicate foal position changes.

There...IS....some... edema/swelling in front of her udders closer to her belly/ribs. BUT that has been there for a very long time. I attributed that as 'fat' because she was 'fatter and happy' when we got there. She could have gone on a 'weight loss' plan because she was very much a chubby gal!

Pic's of the Stallion:

http://www.tizminiho...om/breeding.php

This website is where all my brood came from.

The sire of the 'bun in the oven' is Bear Branch Painted Feather.

Tilly's sire is Lucky Four Look Of Eagles (further down on same page)

LittleRibbie, Check out 'The Mini Whinnie Ranch' on Facebook if you have a FB account. We are up there and have pictures of my gelding doing his favorite thing at pulling wagons! No website account yet. Not sure if that road will be traveled!

Oh and boss mare (me) would be Vicki.

Hi Vicki!! Bear Branch Painted Feather.....very nice!!! I havent looked at his page yet but Im pretty sure I think we have all seen some of the pretty babies in his family!! Will go check out your friends in NH now!!

Hi
default_saludando.gif
and welcome to the nursery
default_smile.png
I guess I am the crazy Italian one (Heidi I will get you later)
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Tilly is adorable and the future daddy is
default_drool5.gif
:drool lets hope she starts to give us some signs of being due soon
default_yes.gif

Thank You Eagle!

When I purchased her, she was already there at the farm in NH. Me and the owners talked about putting her with a stallion. They said that I could choose which stallion to put her with so I thought it was either Feather or the other standing stallion at their farm, Patton. Well, I'm all about paint horses! No one paint has the same coat pattern and I think that is fun and neat!

So, paint it will be!...but so long as everyone is healthy, color is just an icing on the cake!

(believe it or not, my gelding in my profile pic is also a paint. When he was born, his 'grey' spots were completely brown and he had a lot of it! Now that he is 9, no brown whatsoever -the brown was completely gone before his first winter hair season. And any grey that was growing in place of brown is almost gone now!...Mr. White man is hard to keep clean!)

I am hoping for some signs.....certainly will aggrivate me until she does show signs!...IF she does!...lol

Vicki I have 1 of those white wonders too, he was a gorgeous sorrel pintaloosa when he was born but he turned white before he was 1
default_sad.png
i bathed him a few days ago but you would never know
default_sad.png
lets hope this baby is VERY colourful.

Eagle, I have 2 white wonders! I wanted to get another white one at least so I could have a 'white team' but the other white one is a filly and she is a yearling. Still some more time to grow. Her only 'non white' parts are 2 brown smudges (one on her chest and another under her belly near her back legs). She thinks she is hot stuff!...lol

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING HEIDI SAYS!! (except where she says we will help all we can
default_yes.gif
)

Hi Vicki and welcome to the fun place to be! I'm Anna - the ancient one - in fact I'm so old that most of my advice or information was written and transported in the Ark! But I do try to keep up with the youngsters here and am always learning from them about 'new' things and ways of doing things. I'm actually foaling my mares now - two babies on the ground, others possibly to come over the next few weeks. Sorry, I should say that daughter is foaling our mares, as I have now reached the great age where the younger members of one's family become pretty bossy and have told me to step down and take life at an easier rate!!

Your Tilly is such a pretty girl and this coming foal is going to be a fabulous little person with Feather as its Daddy!! Actually I got quite excited (must mind my blood pressure!!) when looking at the Tiz Mini website - we have 'connections'! Great friends of mine also have a Painted Feather son, and back in the 1980's I was lucky enough to be around when Choirboy and Treacle were still at the Toyhorse Stud (have several girls of Toyhorse breeding myself) - have they still got those two boys?

Ooooop's I'm rambling again - bad habit of mine as you will soon realise if you get busy reading the threads here while you are waiting for Tilly to foal. She is looking great, but think that she has a while to go yet. Has she had foals before, if so do you know if she started to get her milk supply close to foaling rather than the 'usual' approx 4 weeks before? Any info about her previous foalings would be helpful. Plus of course lots of pictures of her and any other of your minis or other animals - we all LOVE pictures!!

And again WELCOME, great to have you with us!
default_thumbup.gif

Hello AnnaC!

Tiz Mini website only has the foundation mares now. Thoes mares have Toyhorse and Choirboy and some others in their pedigree though. Now that you mention it, Tilly IS a granddaughter of Toyhorse Treacle!

I wish I could give more about her foaling habits, but no luck. This is a new voyage on her path of life!....and mine to!

Just got done checking on her. I 'swear'
default_pray.gif
i saw movement on her belly....and 'felt'
default_pray.gif
some movement......could just be her guts rumbling and making noise and movements.....

But I keep comparing her to my other mare who was 'smart'
default_whistling.gif
enough to say 'no'
default_hypocrite.gif
to the same stallion when we were there for the few days..... Tilly's belly is 'draggin'
default_blush.png
lower than the other mare.....
default_biggrin.png

the only thing i felt was.....nothin.....so either the foal was not movin around or is hanging out high up in her ribcage....or....well, a non-active foal......

but she was just eatin hay. I do get the impression that she is 'tired of bein overweight'.....but doesn't know it could be caused by a package inside!.....nothin else....no changes from pics.

Congratulations on your future little one. Tilly sure is a cute little Mama. You are in the same position as I was last year. I was/am a newbie too and felt like I was waiting and waiting and waiting forever with my first mare.....i feel your pain/anticipation!! I can assure you that little Tilly will show you her cargo only when shes got her completely finished from head to hoof. Im too new to comfortably give you ideas on when little tilly will show you whats shes cooking but you will find that Diane, Anna and crazy Renee in Italy will ask you for lots more pictures of all your horses and not just Tilly, your dogs, cats, cows, husbands and inlaws....they will take all those pictures in their very private crystal ball and mix them all up!!! then I think they all drink some wine to help them think better, anna may or not speak of Narcotics....then they will ask you for even more pictures and I think they drink some more wine ( I cant swear to it though ) Anyway after a bit of time they have this real secret Auntie meeting and thats when they let the filly fairy out of the cage. They will let you know where the filly fairy was last time they saw her ( they have a special fairy GPS system ) and thats when its imperative that you stay very close to Tilly 24/7. just between you and me....stay close...very close to tilly at this time. Diane has been known to try to steal ( she doesnt use the word steal though ) anything with spots or crazy colors, Miss Renee is going to beg you for more and more pictures and videos and our lovely Anna will want to try to put some crazy name to your little one.....welcome to the 3 Aunties Foaling Forum. I'll be waiting and reading!!!

P.S. I would love to see some pictures of your Santa parades and your driving minis!!

heidi ( hey i dont think you mentioned your name?....tilly's mom?
Heidi you always forget me
default_sad.png
default_bye-sad.gif

Hi Vicki and welcome to the nursery
default_smile.png
everyone on here is lovely and we always welcome new people
default_smile.png

I'm Cassie and I'm from Australia, od you have your girl up on camera? if so I'm happy to watch and can usually do a pretty good night shift covering (as its my day time
default_smile.png
)

your girl is beautiful! I so hope she is in foal! can we see another picture of her side on with you on the same level as her pretty please? (hehe and it starts lol)

Thank You Castle Rock Miniatures and LittleRibbie for the wonderful welcome! I will say that if there were to be any 'gritt my teeth' statements, the reply would only be 'constructive criticism' but always remember, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! I will do my best to answer your questions and a picture of the wonderful stallion as well!

She is 32 inches tall and Grulla pinto on her AMHA paper.

Dates are accurate. We arrived there August 4th and she was removed from the stallions pen that morning.

No foal movement noticed but perhaps direct front or rear pictures showing belly protruding from her sides might indicate foal position changes.

There...IS....some... edema/swelling in front of her udders closer to her belly/ribs. BUT that has been there for a very long time. I attributed that as 'fat' because she was 'fatter and happy' when we got there. She could have gone on a 'weight loss' plan because she was very much a chubby gal!

Pic's of the Stallion:

http://www.tizminiho...om/breeding.php

This website is where all my brood came from.

The sire of the 'bun in the oven' is Bear Branch Painted Feather.

Tilly's sire is Lucky Four Look Of Eagles (further down on same page)

LittleRibbie, Check out 'The Mini Whinnie Ranch' on Facebook if you have a FB account. We are up there and have pictures of my gelding doing his favorite thing at pulling wagons! No website account yet. Not sure if that road will be traveled!

Oh and boss mare (me) would be Vicki.
ooooh you lucky thing! I LOVE bear branch painted feather, he is so gorgeous! I can't wait even more to see what your lovely girl produces for you!!! so very exciting!!!

good luck with foaling and we hope you will stick around, we love to keep in touch with all our mares and our special babies
default_smile.png

hope you feel some movement soon! I want to see what Tilly and Feather will produce very very exciting!

Cassie

o.k. I will try to be nicer...I promise.

vicky, it took me forever to feel cameron....I could see him moving around and as soon as i touched my mare to actually "feel it".....he would stop moving!!

Heidi you always forget me
default_sad.png
default_bye-sad.gif

Hi Vicki and welcome to the nursery
default_smile.png
everyone on here is lovely and we always welcome new people
default_smile.png
Heidi always forgets us floating all the way down here in Ozzie land
default_sad.png
default_whistling.gif

Welcome Vicki!

Foal movement is a bit random, I check two of my girls every day and only sometimes get a good push! But sooner or later you'll get something.

Heidi always forgets us floating all the way down here in Ozzie land
default_sad.png
default_whistling.gif

Welcome Vicki!

Foal movement is a bit random, I check two of my girls every day and only sometimes get a good push! But sooner or later you'll get something.
haha she does doesn't she bree!! well us Aussie girls have to stick together! :D

yeah some people don't feel foal movement at all the whole time, then others like my mare Suzie with her colt I could feel movement all the time I hope you feel movement soon its one of the best feelings!

alright. ima do mare stare!

will get a 'dazzle' from best buy and camera(s) from Harbor Freight tomorrow.

questions:

....do i need ONE dazzle for all cameras or multiple dazzle for multiple cameras?

....if I supply the camera(s) and dazzle(s), which option do I choose when going to the mare stare website?......

A - cam hosting

B - monthly

I am puzzled as to which option(s) to choose....

and no change in Tilly's udders nor rear.......

I can't help you with the dazzle as I stream straight from my cam to my pc. Marestare now makes you pay a minimal of 3 months which is $90 Amanda pays $ 50 for the whole year at Mare Watchers and you will have us all watching so it doesn't really matter about it being a new host site. Also Holly has a great view from camstreams.com but I don't know how much she pays.

OOOO!!!.......mare watchers it is!....so if i do mare watchers, do I still need the dazzle? (pretty sure I do...).....might as well do a yearly host thing too...

Thank you for the tip Eagle!

Latest posts

Back