mini jet lag?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divigo

Reaction score
Does anybody know if a horse can get jet lag?

I got my little stallion home from the USA, he has been in the Netherlands for four weeks now but he just has no oompf.

He is not acting like a stallion towards the other stallions and mares.

He is awake, but not noughty or spicy.

Is there anything I can do to help him wake up?

He is high in his feed as I do not want him to lose to much weight, so that should not be the problem.

How long does it take a miniature to get used to his new home?

Thanks,

Trisha

Trisha,

He should not be experiencing Jet lag 4 weeks later. Make sure that he does not have a temperature. You said he is eating well, is he in good weight?

He just might be a stallion who is really laid back.

Did you check to see if he has both of his testicles and that they are a good size? Have you had a mare in heat yet and if so does he pay attention to her?

How old is he? If he is really young, say 3 years or less, he may be intimidated by everything, and the hormones may just not kicked in totally.

He could be pretty stressed out. That's quite a move for the little guy. Maybe have a vet check him out. Or put him on some extra vitamins (or probiotics) to bring him back to life. No expert, but I would say this could be part of his problem.

Trisha,

He should not be experiencing Jet lag 4 weeks later. Make sure that he does not have a temperature. You said he is eating well, is he in good weight?

He just might be a stallion who is really laid back.

Did you check to see if he has both of his testicles and that they are a good size? Have you had a mare in heat yet and if so does he pay attention to her?

How old is he? If he is really young, say 3 years or less, he may be intimidated by everything, and the hormones may just not kicked in totally.

He will be three years old in May.

He has one testicle down now, but I am sure he had two when we visited him in America.

His left testicle is down, but his right is up in his loins, but I can feel it.

I have even tried massaging it down
default_pray.gif

My vet told me it is up there in vertical position. So I thought it might help.

He is currently none responsive to mares and is just an easy going stallion.

Not blanc, there is a little life in him and the vet and I think he is healthy.

I just don't know what to do about him.

Should I just be patient and give it time?

What is his breeding? I ask because some stallions are just known for passing on their very quiet easy going personality. The Buckeroo lines - BTU -Double Destiny are ones that come to mind.

Typically a 3 year old would be more than interested in a mare in heat. Have you tried him with a mare in heat who will allow another stallion to breed her?

4 weeks should be enought time for him to get over his stress. But I would suggest some ulcer care medication for a while incase he has an ulcer from being in quaranine and then the flight over.

He is a solid gold cinsation descendent.

How do I find out if he has an ulcer?

And what do I give him, I probably have to call my vet to treat him?

l found this very interesting as we have a grandson from Solid Gold Cinsation and we just about gave up on him being interested in mares in heat period and as a breeding stallion. We got him as a yearling and tried to use him in early spring of his third year...not good and no way he wanted anything to do with a mare. He has been the only stallion we ever had that would plant his feet and refuse to move if a mare was tied in his paddock waiting fully in season...no yelling sniffing nothing studdy at all from that guy. We were devastated to say the least but decided to wait and leave him be for a while and sure as poop many months later that same year he did show interest and gave every sign he was ready to breed when a mare was walked to his fence. He's 6 years old now and has had many foals since that time and they are all really nice...the only thing is the one colt we kept of his who turned out better then both parents involved is now at breeding age but has not shown any desire to breed as a 3 year old either so far....l know we won't use him this season at all but have a lot of confidence as a 4 year old he'll be ready to go. lf this is related to what your problem is l have no idea just wanted to share what we went through..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

l found this very interesting as we have a grandson from Solid Gold Cinsation and we just about gave up on him being interested in mares in heat period and as a breeding stallion. We got him as a yearling and tried to use him in early spring of his third year...not good and no way he wanted anything to do with a mare. He has been the only stallion we ever had that would plant his feet and refuse to move if a mare was tied in his paddock waiting fully in season...no yelling sniffing nothing studdy at all from that guy. We were devastated to say the least but decided to wait and leave him be for a while and sure as poop many months later that same year he did show interest and gave every sign he was ready to breed when a mare was walked to his fence. He's 6 years old now and has had many foals since that time and they are all really nice...the only thing is the one colt we kept of his who turned out better then both parents involved is now at breeding age but has not shown any desire to breed as a 3 year old either so far....l know we won't use him this season at all but have a lot of confidence as a 4 year old he'll be ready to go. lf this is related to what your problem is l have no idea just wanted to share what we went through..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Thanks Relic.

So these stallions may just be late bloomers, but are fertile?

My husband wants to geld him as we both love geldings and that is the reason we bought him anyway. But since he is so beautifull we wanted to show him as a stallion first, maybe get some foals and then geld him.

As it seems I wont be showing him this season because: he is not a stallion and not a gelding, so I can't do anything with him show wise.

So now I have to decide: be patient and lose a show season or geld him now and show him as a gelding.

I have been reading on this forum about horses being crypt?

Is this the same or are these horses late bloomers?

Can someone explain the difference to me?

And should I even breed with him, are his offspring okay?

So Relic, the colt he produced is also late. What about the mares?Do they get in heat and pregnant easily?

Thanks for sharing.

Trisha

As a 3 year old, he should have both testicles down and in place. I personally will not breed a horse who is a late bloomer as they pass that on to their foals. I want my colts to have their testicles as weanlings. I check all of mine at that time. O fogire of they have them then, they will have them when it is time to breed them.

If he were mine, I would geld him and enjoy the show season.

It's very likely that ulcers are the cause of his problem. They are very common in horses and especially horses that are stressed. I have had very good luck with Ulcer Guard by Merial. I would think it would be available in your country. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back