Mini horse shelter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelitamamacita

Reaction score
Hello,
Fingers crossed, I will hopefully be new to mini horses soon. : ) I am looking to get 2 minis, but need to get ready for them. I’m most concerned about what kind of shelter to get for them. I live in Southern California, so whether isn’t really an issue. We do have coyotes in the area, so initially was thinking I’d need something that can be completely closed up every evening. But again, I’m new to this so welcome any suggestions. I’m on 3/4 acre, half flat grass, half a hill. My plan is for them to have open access to the hill all day and then close them in to the shelter in the evenings, occasionally letting them have access to the grass, maybe an hour a day, with a couple of walks a week on surrounding horse trails for exercise. Any recommendations on the shelter? I prefer the look of wood if I am going to be getting something that will be completely enclosed. I would love to see photos of where your minis sleep at night. Thank you in advance!!

I don't think you need to fear coyotes. I live where there is lots of wild life. Mine are out in the pasture and go into shelter when they desire. My shelters are metal. The large one is divided by a gate and there are rings to tie in both sides. Then a larger gate to enclose the whole structure. The smaller one was built by my son and it sits in the corral. The animal you see standing in it is a wild auodad; they live in the mountains in the area and one decided to check out the little shelter. Shelter is needed for the sun and wind more so than for rain/snow. Good luck with your new little horses! They are so much fun.frosty horses.jpg casadenellie.jpg

If you have a look on the "Back Porch" you will see a recent thread where members have posted their "Horse barns & stables " :)

Hey!
We have minis, down to two now but had several more. Our girls are out 24/7 we too have wild dogs and such that I was worried about prior to ever getting horses.

Here’s our barn thing :)

Our girls have 3 acres to run, they are three paddocks that all open up together. For pasture management purposes. The front paddock has an open shade shelter, I keep a 100g stock tank here. It is short in height but still high enough to provide shade to our massive OTTO. Our middle paddock is hill and grass only and the back paddock has a completely closed in shelter that’s off our barn, def. not even close to big enough to the OTTO and is strictly for the minis. They also have a barn run in in the back paddock. This is where we keep our second stock tank and where I give hay and grains.

My biggest advice is to gradually introduce them to your pasture. We started with 1 hour for the first 3-4 days gradually increasing turn out time until they were use to the pasture. They are now out 24/7 asides from heavy rain, thunder and lightening and hail. At this time I close them into the barn run in.

At first we would bring all the minis in with the horses and stall them no differently then the big guys in the evening. But I noticed they would get lonely and chew their stalls. This is when we started leaving them out and keeping the minis all together in the barn run in when we would close them in. They do so much better now with constant 24/7 company. I’ve also noticed some issues have resolved them self with dominance since making this change.

A lot of people worry of their minis being over weight with too much turn out. And there is no doubt that our girls tend to over do it. However they have maintained a lovely weight in which our vet and farrier are happy with. So, although I was hesitating to allow them all day turn out. They are doing great.

As for activity. Being out 24/7 gives them ample time to run and play. However in good weather and season, we course train them and work on liberty training (slow slow slow process as they are super stubborn lol) but this is how we have fun with them. I also harness them up and walk them to the bus stop to collect the kids sometimes. This gives them a feel for hard ground and desensitizing. It also leaves them in a position to test their trust with us.

As for the predators, you’d be surprised how feisty a mini can be when something they aren’t welcoming approaches them. Our yearling will run the neighbour dogs right out of the pasture before the dog even realizes she’s coming. She’s very protective and takes no gruff. They should be fine.

Hope this helps :)

I live in Massachusetts and we have harsh winters. Two of my minis live in a run- in shed, and the other two in a shed made into a little barn. I use strip curtains, so they are cozy warm in the winter, yet can go in and out as they please. I also have perforated strip curtains for summer so they can escape flies. I, too, am concerned about coyotes. They kill dogs here. My paddocks are built of Red Brand no climb fence and we have never had a problem. Good luck!

Attachments

• D539EED0-E578-446C-BA91-DBD569469807.jpeg
    D539EED0-E578-446C-BA91-DBD569469807.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4
  • E4944F13-BBEE-4BC0-9D7D-8F8246ED985A.jpeg
    E4944F13-BBEE-4BC0-9D7D-8F8246ED985A.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4
I live in Massachusetts and we have harsh winters. Two of my minis live in a run- in shed, and the other two in a shed made into a little barn. I use strip curtains, so they are cozy warm in the winter, yet can go in and out as they please. I also have perforated strip curtains for summer so they can escape flies. I, too, am concerned about coyotes. They kill dogs here. My paddocks are built of Red Brand no climb fence and we have never had a problem. Good luck!

This is a great idea!

Latest posts

Back