Mini horse for plus size driver!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a plus size women thinking of getting mini for driving. Could a larger mini handle me plus the cart weight or should I look for a pony?
Not sure how "plus" you are, but a 34" horse should be enough; considered "A" size. If you go to a larger horse, they are considered "B" size, just so you have an idea of what kind of harness/cart to consider. My 32" boy has no trouble with two adults and a child; he is the stockier type. 34" might be better, if you plan to consider the "A" horses. They are little powerhouses, so don't let their size fool you!

There are a lot of factors besides how tall. Age, build, how fit the horse is. How heavy the cart is and how well balanced. And what type of terrain you'll be driving on plays a huge role also. For instance, my fine boned 34" mini could pull a fairly light cart with two adults, say about 400 lbs on flat ground with no problem. She could pull us up a hill also, but that was more work than I was comfortable asking of her on a regular basis.

Not sure how "plus" you are, but a 34" horse should be enough; considered "A" size. If you go to a larger horse, they are considered "B" size, just so you have an idea of what kind of harness/cart to consider. My 32" boy has no trouble with two adults and a child; he is the stockier type. 34" might be better, if you plan to consider the "A" horses. They are little powerhouses, so don't let their size fool you!
I’m in agreement with Dragon Hill. I’ve seen minis eventually becoming behavior problems due to being asked to pull too much weight. It’s not fair to them. Terrain variability is probably the biggest issue. Pulling heavy weight on a flat hard surface isn’t hard. Pulling that same weight through sand, mud or even soft ground or up inclines becomes much harder. The ability to stop that weight going downhill also becomes an issue.
Unfortunately, I haven’t found any recommendations for weight of pony pulling how much weight. I wish someone would do some studies on that.
My recommendation would be a larger pony.

Last edited:
There are a lot of factors besides how tall. Age, build, how fit the horse is. How heavy the cart is and how well balanced. And what type of terrain you'll be driving on plays a huge role also. For instance, my fine boned 34" mini could pull a fairly light cart with two adults, say about 400 lbs on flat ground with no problem. She could pull us up a hill also, but that was more work than I was comfortable asking of her on a regular basis.
Absolutely, terrain and road surface are huge factors! And, of course, a well balanced cart. And how far you intend to drive. O my goodness, it's a wonder any of us ever dared to begin to drive! I'm rather glad I didn't know then what I know now.

I always heard a horse can safely pull up to 2/3 of their weight...but, as others have said there are a lot of other factors to consider.
I wanted a larger miniature or small pony just to make it as easy on them as possible...I wanted a hyperbike (super lightweight) so the height was limited by the maximum height a hyperbike could handle (I think it was originally 40" but, last time I checked the website said 42")
My pony/oversized mini (some people have insisted he's a miniature horse, but, he's over the height limit...so....) is aprox. 42" he's not as stocky as I was looking for, I would have been comfortable with a smaller pony that was stockier.

Yeah, I agree with all the above.

I will say my 31 incher has a hard time pulling my little butt in a light weight bike over a small rock, but he has a bad work ethic. 🤣🤣 sooooo laid back that he really doesn’t care about anything! It really depends on the horse, their work ethic, their condition, their willingness to please and a whole lot of other factors.

It also depends on what exactly you want to do. Are you wanting to endurance drive 30 or 50 miles plus a day? Then I would go with a large B size mini or small pony. Are you wanting to poke around the ranch with the grandkids? Then probably a small cute A size mini would suit you fine. Or maybe you want to trail drive in your free time then I would think a 34 incher would be great.

What are your plans for your new horse??

Welcome Terrier Lady! There is a horse for anyone and looking is a big part of the fun. I’m 5’7” and weigh about 145# (except from Thanksgiving through New Years 🤣). My main driving pony is 30” and she pulls on largely flat firm ground. She has also hauled me and a grandchild or two.

This year we have been doing nothing but ground driving so no cart used this season. There are so many ways to enjoy a small horse!

Latest posts

Back