mini hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
I have been told that mini hooves are trimmed differently than larger horses. If this is so how are they done differently? I've also been told that most farriers that do the larger horses don't know how to do minis so I want to make sure they are being done right.

Um..... who told you that?!?!? They are a horse. You want the same angle on that foot as on a big horse. But you are right, a lot of people don't know how to trim ANY hoof. You can't believe the number of minis I have seen that are trimmed like a donkey with WAY WAY WAY too much heel.

Jean_B said:
Um..... who told you that?!?!?  They are a horse.  You want the same angle on that foot as on a big horse.  But you are right, a lot of people don't know how to trim ANY hoof.  You can't believe the number of minis I have seen that are trimmed like a donkey with WAY WAY WAY too much heel.
430552[/snapback]

I was told that a mini should have a longer toe and shorter heel than a normal sized horse but I always figured they should be done the same way because they are just like the larger horses just smaller

My farrier trims my minies just like my arabs. He matches the angle of the hoof to the angle of the horse. He is one of the best around.

He says he really hates going to some miniature farms, and even refuses to trim for some. because they always want him to take off too much hoof so the horses are under 34 inches
no.gif
or to keep them under 38. One gal wanted him to take 2 inches off a little stallion for a show
new_shocked.gif
he refused.

Absolutely NOT!!! I dont know who gave you the misinformation, but they should be trimmed with the same angle and balance that you would trim a big horse, or any other!!! WHAT would be the purpose of a long toe??

If your farrier is telling you this, get a new one.
wacko.gif

Laurie

sad.gif

I am a farrier and have been for 18 years. It drives me absolutlely nuts to see

some of the trim jobs by some professional AFA certifed farriers. THEY are

SUPPOSED to KNOW how to trim a foot properly. Unfortunately some schools are

seriously lacking. [i have a friend who attended a school for 8 weeks, and she

said she learned more going with me for 1 day]. A lot of the schools are geared

certification, and certification does absolutely nothing for the everyday horse. If I

shoe my clients horses to certification standards, I won't have any clients because

the horses won't keep their shoes on. Also a lot of these guys want to get in and

out fast and don't care about the horse. Those that do care treat'em like gold.

Linda B
wub.gif

unsure.gif

Fred said:
sad.gif

I am a farrier and have been for 18 years.  It drives me absolutlely nuts to see

some of the trim jobs by some professional AFA certifed farriers.  THEY  are

SUPPOSED to KNOW how to trim a foot properly.  Unfortunately some schools are

seriously lacking. [i have a friend who attended a school for 8 weeks, and she

said she learned more going with me for 1  day].  A lot of the schools are geared

certification, and certification does absolutely nothing for the everyday horse.  If I

shoe my clients horses to certification standards, I won't have any clients because

the horses won't keep their shoes on.  Also a lot of these guys want to get in and

out fast and don't care about the horse.  Those that do care treat'em like gold.

Linda B
wub.gif

431776[/snapback]

Good for you!!!
aktion033.gif
yes.gif
shame on the others!
no.gif

Latest posts

Back