Mini gets tasered

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
If this link has already been posted on here, I've missed seeing it.

Mini gets the taser

I can see the point in why it was used in this case. But what struck me is....

apparently they were letting this pony graze in the yard, loose? And after this big fiasco, they were going to do it again "tonight" only then it was going to be the husband's turn to watch the pony?

Surely they are smart enough to put a lead on the pony & have someone out there holding it rather than just turning it loose to try again? Or did I read this wrong and the yard is fenced, but somehow the pony got out?

Ughhh, the link won't work for me, so what was their story? I can't imagine what could possibly make them think tasing is a solution to a problem with a horse.

the link isn't working for me either. Why in the world would someone taser a HORSE???
default_new_shocked.gif

I think this is the story.

St. Croix County / Taser gets role of hero in tale of runaway pony

By Rhoda Fukushima

[email protected]

Article Last Updated: 05/13/2008 12:14:07 AM CDT

A St. Croix County sheriff's deputy used his Taser to subdue Suzey the runaway pony as she got perilously close to busy traffic last week, officials said.

About 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, the deputy was called to help corral Suzey, a 3-year-old miniature pony running free near Red Brick Road and Coulee Road in the town of Troy just outside Hudson, according to Sheriff Dennis Hillstead. For two hours, the pony's owner, Susan Holt, and her daughters had tried to bribe Suzey to come back, to no avail. True to form, Suzey was very spirited and stubborn.

"We were out there trying to lure her with oats, horse treats and apples," Holt said. "She was not going to listen to us."

Holt became increasingly worried Suzey would get onto Coulee Road, which is especially busy during rush hour.

She would have had Suzey put down to avoid causing an accident, but only as a last resort, Hillstead said. The deputy said he could try his Taser on Suzey, with Holt's permission.

A Taser is a nonlethal weapon that uses electrical pulses to incapacitate the central nervous system of a living being, said Sgt. Joshua Lego, a master Taser instructor with the St. Paul Police Department. It has been used on dogs, moose and cattle.

Feeling like she was running out of options, Holt reluctantly told the deputy to go ahead. "I said, 'If you think it will work, we have to do something,' " Holt said. "She was bucking. She wasn't going to let us have anything to do with her."

The Taser prongs struck the 200-pound pony in the shoulder and haunches. Suzey fell down on her side, and Holt was able to hook a lead rope on her.

Suzey got back up, the deputy pulled out the Taser prongs and Holt led her back to her pen.

This was a first for the St. Croix sheriff's office.

"I'm sure the officer really didn't want to destroy a horse," Hillstead said. "He used good common sense. It never hurts to try something."

Holt said Suzey is no worse for wear. Holt and her husband still want her to graze in the yard.

Tonight, though, it's his turn to watch Suzey.

Ok, well that makes sense (sure helps to read the story doesn't it? Lol!) Much better to tase a horse than to have to shoot it to keep it from causing an accident. I'd sure be extra-careful she doesn't get away again though!
default_new_shocked.gif

I think rather than sit and watch the horse why don't they put a long rope on her and hold it if they want her to mow the lawn for them. Oh, I guess that is too easy.

I think the old saying "A good fence makes good neighbors" fits this.

It is the people, not the mini that should be disciplined. Perhaps citing the people for letting it loose on the busy street would be appropriate.

I'm sure we've all had an animal get loose that was having such fun that it didn't want to be caught. Once in a while is one thing, but this gal sounds like a "habitual offender!" If she were mine, she'd never go out without me on the other end of a long lead, that's for sure. Maybe these folks will wise up, now that The Law has been involved. The reporter was going for a light tone, but getting tased is no joking matter.

My husband use to work in the wildlife nusiance area for the state. They would get moose in town that would get close to the freeway. Its saved several lives tasering a moose to keep from causing wrecks. The moose were then tranqualized and transported to a safer place. Everyone was fine in the end.

I know when my minis have gotten out. No amount of grain shaking and treats will get them back home. Have to corral them to calm them down to halter them. I'm glad the officer used quick thinking. Saved the minis and several other people's lives. Now, that owner should be cited for pretty much allowing this fiasco to happen.

I think the old saying "A good fence makes good neighbors" fits this.

It is the people, not the mini that should be disciplined. Perhaps citing the people for letting it loose on the busy street would be appropriate.

Or maybe next time the horse gets loose perhaps they should taser both the mini AND THE OWNER
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back