Mini donkey won't go into his new stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottb610

Reaction score
We have owned an adorable little mini donkey for the last 5 years. He was stalled next to my TB all this time and we have had no issue. I am getting another horse, so my husband made him a new stall but he will not for the life of me go into the new stall. It is 6 x 8, well lighted, and nicely bedded with a rubber mat. I have tried bribing him, tried to lead him in, NO WAY.

ANY ideas what I can do before the new horse arrives?

Curious, does it have a door where he would be able to see out of to see the other horses? It can be scary for them and feel too claustrophobic if they can't.

He doesn't like the change. Have you tried approach and retreat, or circling around in front of the door until he relaxes? Have some of his hay or whatever laying in there. I would approach it like trailer training in a way.
Don't force him to go in. Usually it's not a case of disobedience, but fear, so you will need to help him, by staying calm and working with him.
With one of my horses, I lead him up toward where I want him to go then back him up. Forward and back gently...after a while he wants to go forward!

Last edited:
Yes, it has a half door to his height and is open in the main barn. He can still hear his brother (an obnoxious TB). I am at my wits end!

Latest posts

Back