Mini Donkey terms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
Hi all. My husband currently has a gelded mini donkey and for Father's day we are getting him a Jennet, Jack and the Jennet is pregnant. What I am wondering is what do you call the baby? Is there a term for the gelded one? What do you call a Jennet/Stallion cross and what do you call a Mare/Jack cross? Thanks so much.

Cool!

A baby donkey is a jack if it is a boy, jennet if it is a girl, jack is also a mature male and jenny is a mature female.

A female donkey/male horse foal is a hinney. It is harder to get a hinney than a mule. It is very rare to have a stallion that will breed a jenny and even more rare to get one to settle a jenny. The chromozome count is different between donkeys and horses. That is also why a hybrid is sterile (at least 97% of the time. there are VERY RARE occasions)

A male donkey/female horse foal is a mule. You have to have a special donkey and mare to actually get a mule. Not all jacks will breed a mare and not all mares will allow a donkey to breed them.

Some say the hinney has a prettier face than a mule but I'm not sure about that. All my mules have beautiful heads/faces.

A gelded jack is a gelding.

I always heard that geldings are called johns. Female mules are called Mollies, right?

Latest posts

Back